Smash and Grab Theft!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Smash and Grab Theft!

Post by KeithBoll »

Last Saturday, Nov. 28th - I woke up early (4:15AM) and got ready to go diving! I stopped in Federal Way on 320th at Starbucks at 5:00AM to get some coffee fuel and a breakfast sandwich. I was in the shop for less than 4 minutes. During that time - someone drove up, got out, smashed my passenger rear window and stole my camera gear!!!!

Needless to say - this is the last thing that I would expect at 5:00 in the morning! Anyhow - if you see the following items for sale (used) - please let me know!

Canon Rebel 5TI
Nauticam Housing for Rebel 5TI
Sea & Sea DS1 Strobes
Sola Photo 800 dive light
Sola 1200 dive light
Macro port for Nauticam housing
2x Dioptor
45 degree Nauticam Viewfinder (New this is $950!)
And... more!

Thanks for keeping an eye out, group! I appreciate it. At least I have insurance - so I pay the deductible and the rest is covered.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Smash and Grab Theft!

Post by Scubie Doo »

This is depressing to hear. Hope you get everything replaced fast.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Wow. That totally sux. I am sorry to hear that. Thank God you had insurance.
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Thanks, Jesse!
I did go out and get a Canon 7D, a new macro lens (the same 60mm) and a new Nauticam housing.
This is one of those times that I actually liked my setup - so I had no reason or desire to change or "upgrade."
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I'm so very sorry. Theft sucks.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
inflex
Avid Diver

Post by inflex »

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. I found my stuff on Ebay.

I'd recommend search for it on eBay in approximately 20-25 days. Look at the advanced search options to narrow the search down, for example selling location WA, OR, or ID, etc. I recall there was some way to save the search parameters as well, so save a few different searches to maximize your odds. Then, it's just a matter of running the search every day or so.

There's a good chance the goods were sold to a pawn shop, and the pawn shop knows that they were stolen. As such, the pawn shop will try to covertly get rid of the goods outside of the local area, like on Ebay. Pawn shops also have a 30-day holding period before they can sell the goods, but their way around this is to put it on Ebay with an auction end date right at 30 days. So, I'd strongly recommend devoting some time right before that 30 day mark. If you do spot your items, contact the police to get track the seller and stop the auction.

Since you made a claim on insurance, any recovered goods will go to the insurance. That said, you might get the satisfaction of finding and tracking down the pawn shop and the thieves who stole your stuff (pawn shops are required to register the seller's ID). If you do recover, you also might be able to bargain a buy-back from the insurance.

I sympathize with your pain. Just recalling what happened is making my blood boil. Damn thieves sold about $6k worth of camera gear for less than the damage they did to the car window.

Good luck! Hope you find those assholes and make them pay! I'll certainly keep an eye out.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I've heard that Offer Up is the new Craig's List alternative for fencing stolen goods, might we worth watching it too.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Sorry to hear this happened. I dont know if it will help, but once I had issues with prowlers around my homes I installed security cameras. they have cameras i think for around a couple hundred dollars that mount to the windshield. Some have only one camera and some have two one to face forward and one rearward. I have been thinking about getting one and this just makes me want one even more.
Jeff Castor
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Man, that royally blows! Sorry to hear that this happened to you. Man, 4 minutes!

inflex, thanks for the advice. You really did your homework and I'm glad you were able to find your stuff. Did they ever nail the thieves who did it?
inflex
Avid Diver

Post by inflex »

The perps in my case turned out to be a couple of drug addicts. They broke into several cars that morning and stole enough value to be a felony. The detective on my case did get their names and IDs from the pawn shop, but the prosecutor declined to press charges. Apparently, this pair was already on the hook for some greater charge, and I was told that the prosecutor was unlikely to bring the theft charges in the interest of focusing on the larger case. I never did find out the ending to that case, but I'd like to think the perps got what they deserved.