Mystery Sharks of Seattle

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Mystery Sharks of Seattle

Post by ScubaJess »

Really Excellent job all around. :taco: :eric:

I'm so proud to know a lot of the people in this amazing show! :notworthy: :pirate: :eek: :luv:
Divers are the BEST!

I hope to see a Six Gill and a Dog Fish one day. :joshsmith: :popcorn: :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I think the dog fish need protection like the six gills. I have witnessed first hand the standard practice from fishermen to kill every dog fish they catch. This has to stop! The reason I got why they killed them were "they are trash fish" or "they eat my bait" or "its hard to remove the hook when they are alive". I was utterly horrified when a person on a boat I was on started to club the dog fish they caught. That was the last fish they clubbed that day. I removed many hooks from live dog fish that day.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

What a great show!!!!

Congrats to all involved. Laura, Bob, Brian and Jeanna, Keith Clements, and John Rawlings all did a great job! The footage was great. I really enjoyed it.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
I haven't gotten the chance to watch the vid yet. It looks real cool though!

I asked my co worker who's an avid salmon fisherman if he's seen any dogfish lately. No he has not in about 3 years. :( He's going to ask his buddies if they have.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Thru my friend, he says his contacts inform him that dogfish have only been seen in area 7 as of late. Supposedly the Puget sound is a dogfish nursery, they think the warm water blob may be pushing them away?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Jeff Kruse wrote:IIRC in 2003 we were seeing one or two "naturally" on every dive in the summer at 3Tree. Then in 2004 we stepped it up to seeing 4 to 12 on every dive at 3Tree but that was with encouragement. None of "ours" had tags on them. Wild times. Great show. Fortunate I could participate. Great footage from all and well done with the story. That's just how I remembered it.

Now lets have a show about the missing Dogfish! I remember seeing schools of them frequently in the early 90's. I also remember seeing giant skates back then...
To this day one of the coolest dives I remember doing was a night dive I did with you and Rob back in 2001 at Three Tree ... at the end of the dive we turned off our lights in the shallows and watched the dogfish leaving phosphorescent trails through the eel grass. They were quite common at that site back then. Wonder what happened to them all ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

YellowEye wrote:Hi
I finally got the chance to watch it this morning ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

YellowEye wrote:Hi

I asked my co worker who's an avid salmon fisherman if he's seen any dogfish lately. No he has not in about 3 years. :( He's going to ask his buddies if they have.
We had a dogfish swim right up to us at 80fsw today at Saltwater
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

I finally got a chance to watch this tonight! So cool! Great work by all involved! Good to see some familiar
faces :eek: :popcorn: :smt064 :partydance: :calvin: :luv: :notworthy:

So many questions!

Did they confirm if the beached shark was related to the tagged ones swimming in Eliot bay?

Was blondie ever tagged? Was she ever formally declared the same shark as the beached shark?

I heard there were a lot of sixgill sightings in Owen's Beach and Three Tree too. I presume these were different broods. Or were aquarium tagged sharks ever seen down there?

Were adults seen hovering around the southern concentrations? Perhaps the Mom leads or protects the pack? Was that beached shark found after or before the exit of the Eliot Bay brood?

Very cool!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

There were several sightings at Owens Beach and TTN during the time they were also being spotted in Elliot Bay. My first sighting was in Redondo, near the old pipe boat, with Valerie and Bob Lew. I believe it was in 2002. Over the next three or four years I had several encounters there, as well as Owens Beach, TTN, Seacrest Park, and up in Barkley Sound. They were being seen regularly up there at around the same time period, and like here there are still occasional sightings but not nearly what there used to be. My most recent sighting was about a year ago down at Sund Rock with Jenn Vanderhoof ... down at the cloud sponges.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

pnbooth
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by pnbooth »

A smallish sixgill was spotted twice during DATC at Redondo this last weekend. About 6 ft. long. Did not get good enough look to sex it. It was cruising around at 35 fsw late Friday night and about 65 fsw Saturday afternoon. Both sightings were near the thick line at the end of the MAST center pier. Probably the same animal both dives, but awaiting closer examination of my buddies' video. This was a real thrill for me as I had yet to see a sixgill after about 750 dives in Puget Sound over the past 10 years. Also saw a ~3 ft. dogfish near the pipeboat Friday night.
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

That's good news!!! Thanks for the report.