Diving volunteer opportunities?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Matt S.
Submariner

Diving volunteer opportunities?

Post by Matt S. »

In another thread (http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=2475) a member mentioned that he is a volunteer diver for his local sheriffs dept. in OR.

Are there any similar opportunities around the Seattle area? If so what level of training is needed?

I'd be happy diving in 10 feet of water for lost keys, if there was a need. :) But even then, I'd want a buddy. When the volunteers roll out, are they deployed in pairs?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Zen Diver 2 (Valerie) is always looking for volunteers to join her Dive Concierge Program... you should ask her for more information. It's a VERY rewarding experience and will make you appreciate the demands of cold water diving so much more.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Anyone ever volunteer at the Seattle Aquarium? I know I know, why dive in a 400,000 gallon tank, feeding fish and talking to visitors via a wireless headset underwater, when we have the Puget Sound...

Don't they have a six gill research facility under the pier? Just interested in your thoughts. Prolly not planning on becoming an aquarium diver any time soon, I've got to get some more dives in before I hop into a slimy tank!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

There are some aquarium volunteers here. Yes, you need lots of experience before joining the aquarium. Rock-solid buoyancy is an absolute must among other skills... and the ability to commit to a 1 year minimum.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Sounder wrote:Zen Diver 2 (Valerie) is always looking for volunteers to join her Dive Concierge Program... you should ask her for more information. It's a VERY rewarding experience and will make you appreciate the demands of cold water diving so much more.
Dive Concierge sounds so much more formal than Dive Butler....

=D>

-Valerie
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

When my non-diver friend comes along I call him the Dive Sherpa.

He prefers "shore buddy."
Sea of Green

Re: Diving volunteer opportunities?

Post by Sea of Green »

Matt S. wrote:In another thread (http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=2475) a member mentioned that he is a volunteer diver for his local sheriffs dept. in OR.

Are there any similar opportunities around the Seattle area? If so what level of training is needed?

I'd be happy diving in 10 feet of water for lost keys, if there was a need. :) But even then, I'd want a buddy. When the volunteers roll out, are they deployed in pairs?
May want to check with the poster of that thread, Sparky. As I understand it, most divers working for law enforcement entities are actual deputies who are also trained in black water diving as Public Safety Divers. Google "Public Safety Divers" and you can find all kinds of info. Also contact the King County Sheriff's Dept. Here's an interesting article I found: http://www.policeone.com/news/1288088/

And also check this out: http://www.ucidiver.com/master_schedule.html

But yeah, what is this "dive concierge" thing? Do you get cash tips?
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

yeah; i'd like to know more about the "dive butler" thing ... what is it???
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

I think it is when you carry someone's gear for them, and provide tasty beverages in between dives. If you would like to experience it first hand I'm sure we can arrange something. :)
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

that's not diving. wtf? i do still want to get to the EUP to help volunteer there some time, though!
my FLICKR photo sets
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

thelawgoddess wrote:that's not diving. wtf? i do still want to get to the EUP to help volunteer there some time, though!

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

BASSMAN wrote:
thelawgoddess wrote:that's not diving. wtf? i do still want to get to the EUP to help volunteer there some time, though!

yeah, yeah; laugh it up at my expense. ](*,) apparently i need to make a point of getting more sleep than i have been!
my FLICKR photo sets
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

thelawgoddess wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:

yeah, yeah; laugh it up at my expense. ](*,) apparently i need to make a point of getting more sleep than i have been!
Yeah, get some sleep my friend. I'll explain the dive butler thing to you in the morning. It was a joke Valerie started long ago... #-o It's all her fault! :axe:
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Hey, I think it would be a GREAT thing to volunteer for!

-Valerie
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Matt.
I glad to hear you are thinking about joinning your loal Sheriffs Dive team grate job

this is one of the hardest things i have ever done in my life and by far the most rewarding

I would recomend you contact your local Sheriffs Office and ask to be put in touch with the SAR director or the dive team leader

and let them knwo you would like to talk to some one about joinning the dive team.

I would sugest that if you could arange it with them thast you go and watch the team during one or two of there trainning missions.

this would give you a real good feal for just what you are in fact asking them to let you do

rule of thumb bad guys never never through evedeance in to bodys of water with 100 foot vis and so on .

You may be ask to do some verry unpleasent things but it is a job that must be done.

to try to answer you question about trainning required .
I for one am only open water certified and have some thing in the neiborhood of 300 dives
( I knwo time to get off the pot and take some classes )

i only mention this to porve a point

for the most part you would be tought what you will need to know by which ever team you join

out side of Open Water which is required by all the teams I am in contact with you will be tought the skills needed
and you placement in the team on a call out will never excead you training

by that I mean on your first call out you will not be the guy to go in the water and start a search you may be the guy on stand by or the one that has to go to the responce vechile and get the diver more weight or a fresh batt for his coms

it is how ever important you are not scared to dive in low vis
and im talking 1 to 2 inches on a god day .

on Rec Dives you are off the botom what a few feet or so well in PSD work you are actuly down in the bottom felling your way inches at a time it dont take you long to mess up any vis that you may have had

I would be willing to help you find answers to any question I can or to help get you pointed in the right direstion so dont give it a second thought just shoot me a PM or a Email if i can be of help to you in any way.

by all means keep me posted on your progress in this adventure
and good luck and thanks for stepping up

Sparky
sparkyjames@gmail.com
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

This is interesting, I too have been interested in volunteering. How can I get more info on the Dive Concierge Program?

I'd have to think about the Sherriff dive team, I'd want more experience.

A way to give back to the comunity and do something I love....
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

TC, I think the "Dive Concierge program" was a refernce to a joke about getting people to help with your gear at dive sites.

It's good to see people wanting to volunteer though. Perhaps we should set up more of a formal "Big Buddy" type program through the board where folks wanting to volunteer can help out newer divers by taking them out after thier cert dives.

I know right after I got certified one of the things I was always worried about was ruining a more experienced buddy's dive by giving them a short shallow dive where they mainly had to watch me struggle with bouyancy. Perhaps having an informal program where people volunteered to be "Big Buddies" would be a good way for new divers or visting divers to get out and do some diving.

Thoughts?

Jake
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

It's good to see people wanting to volunteer though. Perhaps we should set up more of a formal "Big Buddy" type program through the board where folks wanting to volunteer can help out newer divers by taking them out after thier cert dives.

I know right after I got certified one of the things I was always worried about was ruining a more experienced buddy's dive by giving them a short shallow dive where they mainly had to watch me struggle with bouyancy. Perhaps having an informal program where people volunteered to be "Big Buddies" would be a good way for new divers or visting divers to get out and do some diving.

Thoughts?

Jake
The 'Big Buddy' idea is a great one, and one I already participate in, only in an informal way. There is a great need for this because in my opinion the certifying agencies do not require enough dives to make people feel comfortable in these waters. Maybe in the tropics but not here where the visibility is limited and the water is cold.. And so these newly certified divers are expected to go out after 4-5 dives and dive the Puget Sound with their other newbie buddies.. That is a bad idea and an accident waiting to happen.

What these new divers need is a few more dives under the supervision of an experianced buddy to gain the confendence and practice the skills a few more times to get the muscle memory required to be good divers. This would also get more people to fall in love with diving, because once they were comfortable in the water, how could they not love being in it?

I get plenty of dives in that are just for myself that I can give up a few hours of my time to help some newly certified divers gain confidence. And lets be realistic the dives aren't going to be long so you are out too much time.

The only question is.... How do you impliment a system where the newest divers know where to find 'Big Buddies?'
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Perhaps a "New divers" section of the forum where newly minted divers can post a request for a "big buddy" to dive with them, and a list of volunteers for different area's of the sound to match folks up?

Calvin?
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Matt S. wrote: Are there any similar opportunities around the Seattle area? If so what level of training is needed?
This may not be exactly what you are looking for...but it's definitely a volunteer diving opportunity. Salt Water State Park is always looking for divers to do "critter dives". Basically, you collect specimens for the many, many school children who descend upon that park during the extreme low tides of May & June. The rangers have their system down after many years of doing this. They don't allow the children to touch any of the specimens, and they do a nice job of interpreting. It's a fun experience as the kids tend to look at you as a dive God/Goddess! They'll ask a ton of questions about your gear, and there's always the standard, "Have you seen a shark?!?"

If this is something that interests you, I currently have a contact list of about 20-25 critter divers that I'm about ready to turn into the rangers. If you'd like to be added, just send me a PM with your name, phone number, and days of the week that you are available.

Jenn
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

thelawgoddess wrote:that's not diving. wtf?
This was the part I thought was funny.

Volunteering for any purpose is usually a good thing{Not a Funny thing}.

I hope to do some sort of Volunteer work at Point Defience when I complete my rescue diver training.

I sure would like to help with the reef ball project at Titlow when they start that. =D>
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I volunteer at the aquarium. 1 dive every 2 weeks, usually lasts about 80-100 minutes.

There are a bunch of fish and invertebrate training programs you need to attend. As well as some additional "how to be a good volunteer" classes. The latter I found quite illuminating, being someone without sight (blind) in an aquarium for a few hours is an interesting experience. Good training although there are alot of weekends you need to get teh whole suite of classes.

There are 3 tanks for divers:
the pacific coral reef, very shallow, they don't use fins in here, just walk on the 7ft bottom. hand feed fish individually
the window on washington waters near the entrance (new tank, I don't know the dive protocols in there)
the dome (where I work)

In the dome the AM divers clean and do maintenance. The PM divers feed and do a interpretive talk. Everyone uses a full face mask (AGA) with a communication wire and surface supplied gas from a big bank cylinder. You need alot of weight cause you also have an AL63 of redundant gas - which only flows if the surface supply is drained.

The tank is 18ft deep. I'm an AM dome diver so spend most of my time:
cleaning windows
racking sand (its very thin layer in there to keep the weight within engineering specs and gets thin in spots)
vacuuming fish poop and debris (pool hose like vacuum)
removing spawning salmon

The shark research project off the pier has been dormant during construction of window on washington waters. Supposed to be starting up again soon. There's a video presentation on this in the aquarium. Its by invitation only.

You can find more information and applications for aquarium diving here:
http://www.seattleaquarium.org/NetCommu ... &srcid=258
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

enchantmentdivi wrote:This may not be exactly what you are looking for...but it's definitely a volunteer diving opportunity. Salt Water State Park is always looking for divers to do "critter dives". Basically, you collect specimens for the many, many school children who descend upon that park during the extreme low tides of May & June. The rangers have their system down after many years of doing this. They don't allow the children to touch any of the specimens, and they do a nice job of interpreting. It's a fun experience as the kids tend to look at you as a dive God/Goddess! They'll ask a ton of questions about your gear, and there's always the standard, "Have you seen a shark?!?"

If this is something that interests you, I currently have a contact list of about 20-25 critter divers that I'm about ready to turn into the rangers. If you'd like to be added, just send me a PM with your name, phone number, and days of the week that you are available.

Jenn
that sounds like fun. is there somewhere online we can find more information about it?
my FLICKR photo sets
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

TCWestby wrote:This is interesting, I too have been interested in volunteering. How can I get more info on the Dive Concierge Program?
Definitely talk with Zen Diver 2 - she is coordinator for the DCP. It's a very rewarding volunteer opportunity.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Sounder wrote:
TCWestby wrote:This is interesting, I too have been interested in volunteering. How can I get more info on the Dive Concierge Program?
Definitely talk with Zen Diver 2 - she is coordinator for the DCP. It's a very rewarding volunteer opportunity.
Hmm, guess I should get busy writing up some protocols! =D>

-Valerie :prayer: