Search for missing diver at Cove II

General banter about diving and why we love it.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Search for missing diver at Cove II

Post by renoun »

Seattle Fire is currently searching for a missing student at Cove II. I hope it is just poorly handled buddy separation but it may be worse.

Seattle Fire scanner
Seattle Fire Dispatch listing
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: Search for missing diver at Cove II

Post by renoun »

Sounds like they have located and recovered a female diver at 12:58. initial dispatch at 12:16. They are currently attempting resuscitation with CPR.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

22yo female diver located in 44' of water per medic report to doc at Harborview over radio.
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

So young! :( I am glad they found her....I hope she makes it.

Tweet from SFD says she's in critical condition. Update soon.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Sounds like one non SFD/SPD search diver is being transported to Virginia Mason now.
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

There's a Seattle Times story posted now but it has major inaccuracies (patient was not flown to Harborview she went on Medic 32) so I don't know if any other information in it can be trusted.
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

Any updates on the divers condition at hmc?
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

I'm pretty certain she didn't make it, I can't find any updated public information though.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

lamont wrote:I'm pretty certain she didn't make it, I can't find any updated public information though.
Our water isn't cold enough for cold water drowning to be survivable. KIRO is now reporting the diver's death.

I'd like to know more about this part. The radio traffic I listened to suggested a shallower depth and wasn't clear about who made the recovery but did discuss transporting a second diver to VM.
As Seattle firefighters searched for the student, a civilian driver spotted her about 69 feet underwater. She was pulled onto the Seattle Fire Department fire boat where she was given chest compressions before being transported to Harborview, where she later died.
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

How very sad to hear. My condolences to her family, friends, and buddies on that dive.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

renoun wrote: I'd like to know more about this part. The radio traffic I listened to suggested a shallower depth and wasn't clear about who made the recovery but did discuss transporting a second diver to VM.
One of the PSD divers on scene went to VM.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
bschnabel
Avid Diver

Post by bschnabel »

So sad for the diver. The thing that disturbs me from the article is that the instructor sent two divers not yet certified on a search and recovery mission in water that had too poor of visibility to do a class. Potentially putting more lives in danger.

I realize I do not know the whole story, but seems like a bad decision. Hope something comes out of this that we can learn from.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

We don't know who those 2 divers were and we also don't know what level they were trained at. Unless she had already ceased breathing, finding a missing open circuit diver is a snap.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
jsaenz
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jsaenz »

More information here. http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/water-r ... /431081288

the news is reporting that the students did help search for her, which could be feasible if they lost her on dive 4. They would technically be certified, but by no means experienced enough to search for her.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

The instructor said he signaled for everyone to come up and all three signaled back that they understood, but only two divers came up and the third was not visible.

The instructor called 911 and as Seattle fire personnel were on their way, other divers searched for the students.
I'm guessing that is probably a one character typo and should read "student" not "students".
sinky
Just Settling In

Post by sinky »

I think it's all too easy to get distorted, even if well meaning, information.

Just for example...that isn't cove 2, it's cove 1
So even OUR title has errored info. It's just that easy
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

sinky wrote:I think it's all too easy to get distorted, even if well meaning, information.

Just for example...that isn't cove 2, it's cove 1
So even OUR title has errored info. It's just that easy
Wait. It was at Cove 1?
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Yes. Per the pictures I have seen from other instructors who were on site, the class float was set up in Cove 1.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"