Drysuit hoods

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Drysuit hoods

Post by Nwcid »

I have been using a hood that I believe I got from Bob years ago when I got my first drysuit, but didn't have a hood yet. Well I have finally wore it out and looking for options now.

The hood I have is a High Tide Pro with back zipper. Overall the hood is actually in good shape other then the chin cup has worn though. It appears to be a separate panel, so I am waiting on a reply to see if it is fixable.

I like this hood, but have no experience with anything else. If this hood is not fixable is should I get another one, or is there something else I should be looking at?
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
GearHead
Submariner

Re: Drysuit hoods

Post by GearHead »

I can highly recommend the Waterproof 10mm hood. It is significantly warmer than the 8mm hoods I used to wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

The waterproof 10/5 it's pretty much the best out there.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Just read the reviews on it. Sounds like I might need 2 hoods if I went with this one. I can't think of a time my head actually got cold, but I can think of times it was too warm.
John

ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

I switched to the waterproof H1 10mm its soooo toasty warm! Sometimes when I turn my head underwater warm water comes out of my ears it's crazy nice! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I've been using the 9mm Santi hoods for the last couple of years and they've ben super warm.

I dont have one but I've heard great things KO 1 Spyder hoods. Light, super flexible and crushproof.
http://www.deepstop.de/en/hoods/1614-sp ... mm8mm.html
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I find the K0-1 Spyder ridiculously warm, even warmer than my 10/5 from Waterproof. I actually can't really wear it right now because it's too warm with the lingering layer of warm summer water. So yes, I still love my waterproof 10/5, but as soon as the water has cooled off I'll be back in my K0-1. If you do look at them, I promise you, go a FULL size up. They are super stretchy neoprene but euro sizing ;) I usually wear an XS/XXS and in the KO I'm in a S.

Oh, and for those with hair, the slippery stuff on the inside of the K0-1 is actually boarding on gentle to the hair.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

The other thing I have noticed is that all the hoods listed are solid. The hood I have now and the one my wife uses both have zippers. How does putting on and taking off a hood with no zipper compare.
John

GearHead
Submariner

Drysuit hoods

Post by GearHead »

I used a zippered Seasoft hood for a while. I found the zipper to be more trouble than it was worth; difficult to completely close and the zipper prevented it from forming around my neck. The Waterproof hood stretches enough to go over my head, then forms a good seal.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

A zipper is just something more to break
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Thanks for all the feedback.

Eric has great customer service. I liked the hood I had and knew the exact size I needed. We are diving next weekend so I needed one sooner then later. If I find myself getting cold, I will defiantly look at the other ones.
John