ok, what will i forget to bring?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
spatman
I've Got Gills

ok, what will i forget to bring?

Post by spatman »

hello all!

i'm finally, finally going on my very first puget sound dive this weekend!!! woohoo!! :supz:

my buddy and i are picking up our rental gear on friday and heading up early saturday to catch a bandito charter out of tacoma.

now i know that because i'm so excited (and a newbie), i'm going to forget to bring something. i just know it. so i hope that all of you sage divers might take pity on a beginner like me and impart some kernels of wisdom.
:notworthy:

so here's my list. anything obvious, not-so-obvious, or downright obscure i should add to it?

Mask, snorkel and fins
Wet suit
Hood, gloves, booties
Weight belt/pouch weights 
Cylinders / tanks. 
BCD
Regulator(s), pressure gauge, depth gauge, compass
Dive computer
Dive light 
Certification Card
Dive logbook
Camera + UW Case
Towels

thanks for your help! :salute:
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Post by BbbleMkr »

I would add water (cold for drinking and/or hot water to dump in your suit) and a hat (not so important in August, but just wait for February! Brrrrr!)

dd
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Maybe a "save a dive" kit. At least some spare o rings and some zip ties.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

BbbleMkr wrote:I would add water (cold for drinking and/or hot water to dump in your suit) and a hat (not so important in August, but just wait for February! Brrrrr!)

dd
brrr! like a thermos of hot water for the suit?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

What about a knife? You might need it if you see a sixgill - you don't have to out swim the shark, rather you just have to out swim your buddy. Stabbing them in the leg helps this, so remember to bring a knife.

It's also good for cutting youself out of fishing line.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:What about a knife? You might need it if you see a sixgill - you don't have to out swim the shark, rather you just have to out swim your buddy. Stabbing them in the leg helps this, so remember to bring a knife.
i just spit my drink all over my screen and laughed so loud my co-workers are giving me funny looks...

that's a good item to add , though. thanks.
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Post by BbbleMkr »

A knife--or a pair of shears is good too for fishing line, et al. (Mental note: Avoid 6 Gill dives with Sounder......)

The thermos idea is good. I think Sounder brings an entire cooler filled with hot water. (I can barely remember to bring all of my dive stuff. Last time I forgot a hood and had to rely on the graciousness of Grateful Diver to supply me with one.) If you're diving more than one dive in a wetsuit, it's a happy little luxury to throw your gloves and hat in the water before re-donning then pouring the hot water in your suit before re-submerging.

dd
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

BbbleMkr wrote:A knife--or a pair of shears is good too for fishing line, et al. (Mental note: Avoid 6 Gill dives with Sounder......)

The thermos idea is good. I think Sounder brings an entire cooler filled with hot water. (I can barely remember to bring all of my dive stuff. Last time I forgot a hood and had to rely on the graciousness of Grateful Diver to supply me with one.) If you're diving more than one dive in a wetsuit, it's a happy little luxury to throw your gloves and hat in the water before re-donning then pouring the hot water in your suit before re-submerging.

dd
Pardon me missy!! I bring TWO coolers filled with hot water. I love soaking my gloves and hood in hot water before donning them. I also enjoy that warm fresh-water rinse on my face and head after the dives.

Plus, if you get tagged by a lions mane, it's nice to have that hot water readily available... though your buddy must still make the obligatory offer to pee on your face even if you have hot water, ammoina stick, and topical pain killer.

AND, if bubbles gets a jelly sting, you can pee in the hot water without telling her then laugh at the look on her face when she finishes pouring it all over herself. Come to think of it, who needs a jelly sting to do that?! :bootyshake:

...and you thought you just had to avoid a sixgill dive with me! :laughing3: Hey bubbles - wanna go diving? :partyman:
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Dang Doug, not too sure I want to go diving with you again. I guess I need to det out my 1960's 12" US Divers Sea Hunt knife. Hehe, mine's bigger than yours'

Charles.

PS: You know that water I offered you on the Scuba Kat, I had ..............in it. LOL.

Just kidding.
Charles
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Aquanautchuck wrote:Dang Doug, not too sure I want to go diving with you again. I guess I need to det out my 1960's 12" US Divers Sea Hunt knife. Hehe, mine's bigger than yours'

Charles.

PS: You know that water I offered you on the Scuba Kat, I had ..............in it. LOL.

Just kidding.
#-o :vom: Revenge is something, eh?
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

DAN insurance card
jacket to keep you warm for between dives
stuff for if you get seasick ;-)
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

thelawgoddess wrote:DAN insurance card
thank you for the reminder to get onboard with DAN...
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

pretty cheap insurance and peace of mind. hopefully it'll be money well wasted! (as in something you pay for and never use!)
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Post by BbbleMkr »

Sounder, I think you got your websites mixed up. This is the Northwest Dive Club, not that XX rated golden one that your wife keeps trying to block you out of. ;p

When can we go diving again? Let me know when you're heading out if I can tag along.

dd
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

thelawgoddess wrote:pretty cheap insurance and peace of mind. hopefully it'll be money well wasted! (as in something you pay for and never use!)
peace of mind is definitely important for both myself and my wife. and as far as money well wasted, i have found that most insurance i pay for is just that... so far. well, except for pet insurance. our dog has definitely used that system well...
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Just as an aside.. to the whole water thing.. If you are diving on Bandito charters they will provide you with all the water (hot or cold , fresh or salt) that you can possibly need or want.. Well maybe not hot salt water but all of the other combinations.. They are awesome so don't forget to bring money to tip the dive master... If you have Courtney tell her hi for me! She's the best!

Holly
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

GillyWeed wrote:Just as an aside.. to the whole water thing.. If you are diving on Bandito charters they will provide you with all the water (hot or cold , fresh or salt) that you can possibly need or want.. Well maybe not hot salt water but all of the other combinations.. They are awesome so don't forget to bring money to tip the dive master... If you have Courtney tell her hi for me! She's the best!

Holly
thanks for the tip, holly! if i see courtney, i'll be sure to say hi!
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Don't know if someone mentioned this, but I like to bring after dive snacks. I'm always starvin' after a dive.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

BbbleMkr wrote:Sounder, I think you got your websites mixed up. This is the Northwest Dive Club, not that XX rated golden one that your wife keeps trying to block you out of. ;p

When can we go diving again? Let me know when you're heading out if I can tag along.

dd
Uugh... sorry. I always confuse the "Golden Sh-----" site with this one. Erica will eventually learn how to block that one. :la: :smt024

I dunno - when do you want to go out? I'm available most anytime... until SCHOOL STARTS \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ on September 26th!!! :bounce: \:D/ :bounce: \:D/ Yeah baby! Got my letter today!!! :partyman: :supz: :bounce: \:D/ :rr: