Diver finds lost Nuke in BC

General banter about diving and why we love it.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Diver finds lost Nuke in BC

Post by renoun »

Canadian army interested in old nuke that may have been found off Haida Gwaii - Vancouver Sun
Sean Smyrichinsky recently spent several hours diving for sea cucumbers off Pitt Island, near Haida Gwaii. He didn’t find any. But he decided to hop on his underwater scooter for one last look before calling it a day.

Flying around underwater, he spotted something unusual on the ocean floor.

“I found this big thing underwater, huge, never seen anything like it before,” Smyrichinsky related from Cortes Island.

“I came up telling all my buddies on the boat ‘Hey, I found a UFO. It’s really bizarre.’ And I drew a picture of it, because I didn’t have a camera.”

A couple of days later he ran into some fishermen and told them about his discovery.

“Nobody had ever seen it before or heard of it, (because) nobody ever dives there,” he said. “Then some old-timer said ‘Oh, you might have found that bomb.’”

“That bomb” was a nuclear device that was dumped or exploded off the B.C. coast on Feb. 13, 1950, when an American B-36 bomber crashed while en route from Alaska to Texas. It was packed with lead – not plutonium – and TNT.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Diver finds lost Nuke in BC

Post by Gdog »

That is freaking nuts!
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

That's da' bomb!

;)
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Article isn't written very well. Not a "lost nuke". Actually, what it says, I think, is that it was a simulated bomb. No nuclear material involved.
Location supports the idea that it was a simulated device. Otherwise it would have been recovered ages ago.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.