Blown Hose!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Blown Hose!

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
I have a tip to pass on.

I was diving in Cozumel.... One day when I was looking at my gear I noticed that one of my hoses had a little deformation in it. I didn't think much of it. Even went for a dive. Later in the day between dives, the hose blew right at that spot!! That could have been really bad underwater. So, please take careful note of the condition of your hoses and play it safe and get them inspected and replaced upon any concern!

The hose must have taken a bit of a beating in the shuffle of the boat and to and fro from the dive shop in the big pile of other people's equipment.

Thank you
-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: Blown Hose!

Post by Linedog »

Eric, so glad this didn't turn into something much worse!! I had a similar situation, replaced my hose then cut the hose only to discover the hose had ballooned. It was a braided type hose. Was your hose a braided type also?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
dlh
Submariner

Re: Blown Hose!

Post by dlh »

That must have been exciting! I've had a couple of them sausage out on me over the years. Seriously think about replacing all your hoses right now. When the first one blows out the others installed at the same time might not be far behind. The usual recommendation is about 5 years of useful life and as much as you dive probably less. You might consider replacing your old rubber hoses with the Kevlar type. They are supposed to a lot more durable with the benefits of being more flexible and lightweight.
Dave