Wet suits for the sound

General banter about diving and why we love it.
JJHACK
Aquaphile

Wet suits for the sound

Post by JJHACK »

Probably a common thread here, but being new to this site and to the Puget sound diving I am hoping to get some opinions from the more experienced folks here.

I currently have a Bare 7mm suit called the Velocity (Their model name). I also have the step in vest/shorts combination with the hood to wear over this. Will I manage Puget sound waters with this system or is it not gonna be properly warm?

I need a new wetsuit for my wife because she has no wetsuit as a newly certified diver. I only dive in tropical locations until now and in the Atlantic off the coast of South Africa for the majority of my diving. Living near Walla Walla now I find the sound the most reasonable location to go, but that cold water is kinda freaking me out!

I think the majority of my dives will be in the Columbia River because it's right here in my area and the water is much warmer July through early October. For that the 7mm suit is probably plenty without the step in vest addition.

Share your opinions with me, I'm anxious to learn about the area!
The best things in life are not things
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Wet suits for the sound

Post by Desert Diver »

The nearly universal opinion will be to get a drysuit.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

I dove two years in wetsuit, there were shorter dive since my film camera had only 36 exposures. I know a 60 year old guy who dives year around in wetsuit. However, if you plan to dive in Puget Sound and are willing to spend all the travel time getting here, at least two dives would make more sense and that where the drysuit excels, Surface intervals in wetsuit could be tough go IMHO. Just my 2 cents worth.. :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

I still dive in a wetsuit. I use a 7mm farmer john 2 piece with a 7mm hood and 3mm gloves (can't operate a camera with thicker gloves). It gets cold, but it's not terrible. I can still do multiple dives in a day here, but it does get cold. I think my longest dive in the sound has been about 77 min.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Welcome!!!!!!!! :)

I get cold pretty easy so I'm all for a Dry suit with Dry gloves and a Weezle Extreme Plus super warm under garment. But I guess it depends on how cold you get? This week the water temp has been 43-46', so it's perfect for drinking large quantities of HOT Coffee when you get out. A lot of us also keep hot water in our car for after the dive to dump on us and our buddies in the parking lot.

Enjoy! Safe and Happy diving!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

There are hardy souls that dive in a wet suit. More power to them!

For the occasional cold water dive it is fine, particularly a single dive.

If you plan on doing multiple dives in a day, you need a strategy to warm up between dives. Besides being miserable, wet, and cold, the drop in temperature in your core is actually dangerous. Becoming hypothermic is not just a possible annoyance but can be a real problem.

Even diving dry, a canopy in the rain, big thermos cooler of hot water, and even a Mr. Heater for that canopy doesn't just make your dives more pleasant, it make it safer.

What is a luxury diving dry is a necessity diving wet. How do you warm up between dives? Answer that question and you can dive for quite awhile in a wet suit.

But as has been mentioned, if you are going to dive regularly around here a dry suit is your most important piece of gear. If you are "regular" sizes, there are deals that come up from time to time for decent suits anywhere from about $400 to $1,000. If you can find one that "fits" reasonably well, dive a used suit, learn your way around a dry suit, see what other people dive, figure out your own budget, and then get your own.

Best of luck, and welcome to our green, cold, wonderfully fabulous waters!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
mrtheandrew
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mrtheandrew »

I have been using a Hollis Neotek semidry (wetsuit) for 2 years now. I generally get cold in the water at the very end of a dive. I only wear board shorts and a spandex longsleeve liner for a shirt (I think its for baseball or something). I can usually last around 45 min in winter water temps until I start getting pretty chilled. Out of the water is a different story when the air is 35 degrees and raining. Aside from that, the suit has lasted over 100 dives and is just now showing a little wear. It has an attached hood and leg pockets with d-rings in them. It is also reasonably priced. I believe I got it on sale for a little over $300 online if I remember right. As Tom said, doing multiple dives in the winter can be challenging if you don't warm up between them. I bring a thermos of hot chocolate and a small cooler of hot water, which works pretty well. In the summer, the suit is great for multiple dives.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

There are some people who swim in bathing suits in the Sound, YEAR ROUND, and last for 30-60"
Other people won't wade in the Sound in the summer.
Cold tolerance can be pretty personal.

If you are freaking out long distance....get a drysuit. Remember, a 7mm suit at 60+ feet is certainly NOT 7mm anymore, more like 2-3mm.

Almost no one makes it LONG TERM around here without one. The negative reinforcement from the cold becomes cumulative.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
trekdiv3r
Just Settling In

Post by trekdiv3r »

When I moved to the Northwest I used a wetsuit for a few dives. The problem really is the surface interval. It's difficult to stay warm. With a drysuit you will be much more comfortable after exiting the water. Also, I drive from Portland to the Sound so another benefit of staying warm is that I'm more alert and awake for the drive home due to the fact that my body didn't have to work as hard to stay warm.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk