Water Temperatures in Puget Sound past 17 months

General banter about diving and why we love it.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Water Temperatures in Puget Sound past 17 months

Post by johndo88 »

I was curious, just how much does the water temperature change in Puget Sound?

I looked back at some of the dives I have on my computer. All dives captured here were in Puget Sound, all were made with a Petrel 2, and I grabbed the temp readings from the middle of the dive, typically the deepest part. Most of these dives were at recreational depths. While this data encompasses 181 dives, each entry represents ONE day of the month. If I made multiple dives in one day, only one temperature entry was entered. And as previously stated, only dives in Puget Sound are represented here.

Will your computer give you the same temps, probably not? Both of my Petrels record the same temps, but my Cobalt 2 computers read 4 degrees warmer. Can my Petrel read temperatures above 48 degrees? Yes. May 21, 2016, Hornby Island, at a depth of 11 feet the water was 55 degrees.

My conclusions: the water temperatures in Puget Sound are a) consistent and b), colder this winter. Oh, and all decompression dives should be restricted to Hornby Island in the month of May.
Cheers
Water temps in Puget Sound
Water temps in Puget Sound
dlh
Submariner

Re: Water Temperatures in Puget Sound past 17 months

Post by dlh »

Very interesting. I just looked at a small sampling of my dives in Feb from 2010 - 2017 as measured by my Predator computer.

I had a number of 46F dives in 2010, mostly 48F, and a steady string of 49-50F in 2015 & 2016. Back to 46F this year.

Anyone know of a good source for historical measurements? I tried a couple of .Gov sites that seemed to offer the data but they didn't work..
Dave
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

As I mentioned in the other thread, over the last 10 years low temps (my computer doesn't do averages) range from 45 in the Winter to 55 in the Summer. It might be a couple degrees warmer or colder depending on where you're diving (42 in Neah Bah, 38 near the mouth of a river in Hood Canal, 62 in the top 10fsw at Sund Rock in August, etc.)

It has been pretty consistent.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Are those minimum temps? Puget Sound is not a uniform temp, especially in summer... I think you might have a flawed temp sensor actually.
You can download some summertime profiles from King County's offshore CTD casts here: http://green2.kingcounty.gov/marine/Download
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
carlk3
Aquaphile

Post by carlk3 »

Here are my temps via a Cobra dive computer (you can tell it's native Celesius). This is various Puget Sound locations, but over half at Edmonds. Everything is an average.
tempplot.jpg
temptable.jpg
- Carl
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Okay, you guys rock. The temperatures you were reporting made me go back and check my work. THE DATA THAT I POSTED IS BAD. I started with my last dive then pressed the down arrow key to the next record. Turns out that my temperature indication DID NOT change by pressing the down arrow key. Here you can see in August in Cove 2 the water temp was 55. I will redo the chart that previously posted.

Please accept my apologies for the reporting error.
August Temp.jpg
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

A corrected posting (where I click on the temperature graph for each dive) is now posted.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26238