Okay those with long hair... What do you do with it?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
kineese
Just Settling In

Okay those with long hair... What do you do with it?

Post by kineese »

I have long hair traveling about halfway down my back. If I braid/ponytail/put a low bun in my hair I just tweezer my hair out of my head . I've tried rolling up the hood to see if I can unroll it down only onto my head (this does not work). The only thing I've found that works is doing a bun at the crown of my head and shimmying the hood over it (and if I don't do it right I get a face full of hair, but it doesn't pull it out of my head) but then I end up with a funny cone head and my head looks deformed (I know... but I'm vain... and I don't like my head looking like the skulls in Indiana Jones 4)
I would really like to avoid cutting my hair too...

Any tips/tricks (Pictures are always appreciated too)

Cheers!

Kineese
mpenders
Submariner

Re: Okay those with long hair... What do you do with it?

Post by mpenders »

You didn't mention whether you're using a drysuit hood or a wetsuit hood (with the longer neck flange). If a drysuit hood, have you tried using one with a zipper? I can't recall seeing a zipping in a wetsuit hood...

A trick several of the ladies at our shop used was to apply hair conditioner to their hair right before donning their hood. I understand it helps getting the hood to slide on - and that it also provided some protection to their hair from the salt, etc.
kineese
Just Settling In

Post by kineese »

This hood!
http://www.baresports.com/en-us/dive/pr ... olor=black

No zipper on it :(

Haven't tried the conditioner yet.

Thanks!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

I use conditioner in my hair then braid it. Then I try to tuck my braid up into the back of my hood. It works better then a big bun so that the hood is flatter on my head. I noticed if I have a bun it makes my mask leak since my mask strap doesn't land in the correct spot.
I also have my neck hairs shaved off whenever I get a hair cut to avoid them getting stuck in my neck seal. Good luck! It's totally worth a few hairs pulled in order to experience the fascinating underwater world :-)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

Use a lycra skin hood. It is like the suit in that it makes neoprene slide over the body a lot easier. I have seen them called SCAP and ScubaGoodHood from the DoRag people.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

My hair has varied from long to short to long to short to long over the years numerous times. The only real answer I've found for when it is long that is truly comfortable, doesn't rip out hair and doesn't destroy it or turn it into a massive rats nest of tangles is an attached dryhood.
In lieu of dryhood, and even with the dryshood, also do the 'mom bun' on top of head, and just roll with the conehead. bun or braid or french braid on back of my head always seems to make hood fit funny and mess with mask strap.

I use a lycra hood in the pool for film shoots to keep from tearing it to shreds with mask strap.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

You can spray a mixture of 60% baby shampoo and 40% water instead of conditioner into the hood. Go higher if need be.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Oooo... I shudder just thinking of the rats nest that baby shampoo will cause. Part of the reason for the conditioner is that it helps with the tangles, drying out of hair and ripping and tearing out... Shampoo in it's place, on salt water abused hair may help with donning but will for sure not help with any of the other issues.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

good point.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Steiger
Avid Diver

Post by Steiger »

When I got certified I had long luxurious locks, now I sport a DIR regulation buzzcut.