Keystone at ebb tide

General banter about diving and why we love it.
vadsam
Frequent Bubbler

Keystone at ebb tide

Post by vadsam »

Planning to dive keystone jetty tomorrow. Low tide at 12 pm, is 11 am a good time to splash? Will the currents be too bad at this time?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Keystone at ebb tide

Post by YellowEye »

Hi

I definitely wouldn't advise Keystone tomorrow. The currents will be too strong, the tide too low, and the viz too low.

It will be an extremely low tide, and Jan has been mentioning the kelp is really an issue there lately at low tide.

Viz is likely going to be terrible as the current low viz in the sound + the super low tide will not give good results.

Next weekend is a *much* better situation... A near ideal tide window for Keystone, assuming the wind cooperates... I'm sure some people may want to join you next weekend. (I'll be out of town, otherwise I would have offered to go with you)

BTW: Slack doesn't correspond to low tide, and the slack (not much of one) is much later tomorrow... 1:40 or so.

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
vadsam
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vadsam »

Thanks Eric. Glad I checked here before heading out. I am still trying to learn the proper way to read the tide tables.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Hopefully you mean reading current tables. Tide tables are an indication of the current but you really want to read current tables most of the time. For some sites like Keystone and Cove 2 some of the data provided by the tide is also useful as YellowEye pointed out.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.