Places to eat after diving?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
MariaT
Avid Diver

Places to eat after diving?

Post by MariaT »

As I stopped by the club dive crowd quickly last Saturday (had my whole family in tow, did one dive with my stepdaughter, had to fly off) I promised to share the location of a Mexican place near Redondo where we usually go but then thought I would rather start a new thread.

Let's share your favorite places to eat after, before but not instead of ;) diving matched to their corresponding dive sites. Here are mine:

1. Redondo Beach
Los Bigotes De Villa
30420 Pacific Hwy S Federal Way
Small place, nothing fancy except yummy food. They go easy on melted cheese and sour cream but can be very generous with spices if you wish.

2. Sund Rock
Hama Hama oyster farm, store and restaurant
https://www.hamahamaoysters.com/pages/saloon-menu
Loaded with protein which is good for us :) and plenty of baked, broiled, etc. oysters for squeamish ones who don't eat fresh like me :)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Places to eat after diving?

Post by Grateful Diver »

After Sund Rock I like El Puerto de Angeles ... the Mexican restaurant right next to Hoodsport n Dive.

One of my favorite post-Redondo places is Wally's Chowder House near the Des Moines Marina. It's also a fantastic place to go after a day on Ocean Quest, since it's right up the street.

Alki post-dive would be Pegasus Pizza or the Luna Park Café ... I used to love the old fish & chips place right there at Cove 2, but not a big fan of the Marination that took its place

... and Jess will be along shortly to tell us about Pickles Deli, out on Whidbey Island ... :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I love the spam musubi and loco moco at Marination. They make a mean michelada as well, which is a fantastic post-dive refreshment.

I'm also a big fan of pretty much any buffet. The buffet at Araya's Place on 45th in Seattle is vegan and utterly divine, even for omnivores such as myself.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Luna Park rocks for post Alki diving.

Jeff and I hit Saltys at redondo, as after we came back up from our dive, everyone was gone :)

For Sund, we hit Dennys in Shelton, cuz my treat is a build your own slam of 4 eggs, bacon, sausage, hashbrowns, and a muffin.
Les davis same, hit the Dennys off of Pearl
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Hey Bob,

You know me so well!! Yes it's true, you cannot go to Keystone without stopping at Pickles Deli :luv: :luv: :luv: right up the hill from the Clinton Ferry! It's the BEST! :luv: :joshsmith: My fav is the Spicy Italian and the soup of the day is always so nice and cozy!!! They also have beer on tap and Excellent coffee!! :taco: :partyman: :partydance: :eric: :luv: :burntchef: :bounceline:

http://www.picklesdeliwhidbey.com/

What a fun thread!! Thanks for posting this!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

So for Three Tree North, its Elliot Bay Brewing. For Cove 2, its also Elliot Bay Brewing. Common theme you say?! Hmmm. For Redondo, smack dab in the middle of the beer desert, its uhhh...well, it ends up being Billy McHales due to the lack of a better locale.
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

Cove 2/Junkyard I typically go to Marination. After diving Three Tree we typically go to The Point. For Rockaway/Norrander's Reef on Bainbridge we will typically hit up Doc's Marina Grill after if we are getting food. Mukilteo is the Diamond Knot. Edmonds is Rory's.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Good thread!

Another option for Mukilteo is The Lodge, which is up the hill. Another option for Seattle sites if you're coming from the east side is the Roanoke on Mercer Island.

For Anacortes (San Juans, Deception Pass, Skyline) my favorite options are The Brown Lantern, and Skagit River Brewery.

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

When we do Anacortes we usually hit the café in the bowling alley ... especially for breakfasts, but they have great burgers too ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Scuba Swanie
Avid Diver

Post by Scuba Swanie »

I knew I was going to love this group! Food and diving and are two favorite activities.

For the dive sites along Ruston Way in Tacoma, the Fish Peddler (Pacific Seafood) has great fish and chips or coconut prawns and decent beer selection. They are on Dock street in the old Johnnies Seafood place next to all the new high rise condos.
Blowin' Bubbles and Havin' Fun!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Scuba Swanie wrote:I knew I was going to love this group! Food and diving and are two favorite activities.

For the dive sites along Ruston Way in Tacoma, the Fish Peddler (Pacific Seafood) has great fish and chips or coconut prawns and decent beer selection. They are on Dock street in the old Johnnies Seafood place next to all the new high rise condos.
My girlfriend and I tried that place a few weeks ago ... definitely a thumbs up ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Billy McHale's in Federal Way seems to be a favorite spot for the Thursday crew to warm up after a dive.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Steiger
Avid Diver

Post by Steiger »

Here in Yakima, after coming back from a dive (I do a lot of driving for diving) you can usually find me enjoying a decompression beer at Hop Nation Brewery.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Great thread! - An Admin needs to complile the list and make it a sticky,,,

Mukiltio - The Diamonk Knot - there is nothing like warming up with an IPA and hot rock sandwich

Keystone - Toby's in Coupville for a huge helping of oysters

Alki - Luna Cafe - Stick to your ribs food and funky and cool servers

Edmonds - Rorys - Good pub food and after a 90 minute dive its nice to sit at one of their firepit tables

Three Tree - Eliott Bay Brewhouse - great beer!
Scuba Swanie
Avid Diver

Post by Scuba Swanie »

Alki Junkyard has the ‘Cactus’ mexican restaurant across the street. Excellent service and the food is pretty good as well. Not to mention the fireplace at the front door, pretty nice after diving in 28 degree weather.
Blowin' Bubbles and Havin' Fun!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

YellowEye wrote:For Anacortes (San Juans, Deception Pass, Skyline) my favorite options are The Brown Lantern, and Skagit River Brewery
I'm thinking of removing Skagit River Brewery from my list of favorite places for post-dive eats. Sadly, recently they haven't been as good. Several years ago they stopped with their own beer. Now from what I can tell from my last two visits, food quality is way down. Let me know if you find otherwise :( :( too bad, I liked this place. Luckily, Brown Lantern continues to deliver!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

This is an awesome thread. We should either make it a sticky in the dive site listings sub-forum or we could add all the good eating options to each individual listing as appropriate.

Or both!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

YellowEye wrote:
YellowEye wrote:For Anacortes (San Juans, Deception Pass, Skyline) my favorite options are The Brown Lantern, and Skagit River Brewery
I'm thinking of removing Skagit River Brewery from my list of favorite places for post-dive eats. Sadly, recently they haven't been as good. Several years ago they stopped with their own beer. Now from what I can tell from my last two visits, food quality is way down. Let me know if you find otherwise :( :( too bad, I liked this place. Luckily, Brown Lantern continues to deliver!
Rockfish Grill was good...
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Post by Sharkb8 »

Up north, I can also recommend the Brown Lantern in Anacortes. However, if you can wait the Trainwreck bar and grill in Burlington is by far the best choice in the area. Who doesn’t like a grilled cheese sandwich skewered in their Bloody Mary? The food is fresh and local and a huge step up in quality from the normal pub fare. Flyers Brewery in Oak Harbor is also a great choice. Fantastic beer and the peanut butter bacon burger isn’t as artery clogging as it sounds.
Party underwater
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Sharkb8 wrote:Up north, I can also recommend the Brown Lantern in Anacortes. However, if you can wait the Trainwreck bar and grill in Burlington is by far the best choice in the area. Who doesn’t like a grilled cheese sandwich skewered in their Bloody Mary? The food is fresh and local and a huge step up in quality from the normal pub fare. Flyers Brewery in Oak Harbor is also a great choice. Fantastic beer and the peanut butter bacon burger isn’t as artery clogging as it sounds.
Cool, thank you! I have done Flyers and have enjoyed it. Will try out the Trainwreck. If I'm on the i5 corridor and not Anacortes, that sounds more convenient! :)
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Gdog wrote:
YellowEye wrote:
Rockfish Grill was good...
Hey GDog! I haven't liked it as much as The Brown Lantern...!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Gonna have to try it then!