2017, Wrapping Up - # of Dives? Highlights? Lowlights?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

2017, Wrapping Up - # of Dives? Highlights? Lowlights?

Post by Tom Nic »

Hey everyone! Happy New Year to All!

How was your 2017? How many dives did you do? What were some highlights? Any lowlights or lessons learned?

Dives = 123 - Not crazy, but better than it had been before! Want to ramp up my coldwater diving this year!

Highlights = 2 weeks and 40 dives in Bonaire

Lowlights = I need to dive more!

How about you?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: 2017, Wrapping Up - # of Dives? Highlights? Lowlights?

Post by mz53480 »

How was your 2017?
Yeah...not a lot of diving...sadly

Dives = somewhere between 0 and maybe two...?

Highlights . I’m pretty sure I dove...somewhere...sometime...

Lowlights = I need to dive more!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

My 2017

Diving... Really not enough!!!

Highlights...going to some new to me dive sites and revisiting some ones.

Lowlights...not enough boat dives nor Northern Dives such as Keystone, Deception Pass and Edmonds.

Summary, I need to dive more and stop letting work get in the way!

Here is to a great 2018!

Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Eddie A.
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Eddie A. »

Dives = 5 (all in the last 2 weeks)

Highlights = meeting some great dive buddies and see my first GPOs and bait ball!

Lowlights = I didn’t get back into diving sooner . Need to dive ALOT more in 2018!

Happy New Year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Gdog 2017
Dives = 70
Highlights = taking 5 of my best dive buddies to one of my favorite places to go, Cozumel, and sharing
the great food and diving.
Lowlights = having both boots leaking in my drysuit
2018 = fix drysuit leaks, dive anilao with 3 great dive buddies, dive more!
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

# of dives: Dunno. Maybe 60-70?

Highlights: New camera rig, new drysuit, seeing adult wolf eels finally, getting into solo diving more
Lowlights: Missing dives for working on the house, being cold until I got my drysuit recently
2018: Palau/Peleliu in February, Isla Mujeres in August, more local diving, more upgrades to camera rig
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

# of dives = 77

Highlights: Cozumel with the NWDC.

Lowlights: not as many dives as I’d like to have.

2018: Anilao in Feb, Aruba in April, something great in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

Love this idea!!

# of dives: 120 (Not bad for not taking any dive trips this year)

Highlights (to name a few): Club dives! and diving the missile silo, finishing trimix training, checking out the I90 bridge, seeing the cloud sponges, basket stars and giant nudis for the first time.

Lowlights/lessons learned: struggling to get back to shore at KVI Tower (not a great shore dive with the current) was definitely a learning experience. Also, purge the deco reg before taking a breath off of it. :eek:

2018: Belize barrier reef in May, Deception pass, the Warren Car, the Bomber, Clear Lake, and as many dives as I can before leaving for medical school in July.

-JT
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Number of dives Logged # 172

Diving ... excellent

Highlights : Sitka , Tahsis learning a new camera system ... Having Great dive friends and Dive Family .. Teaching my Son Logan how to dive and see him underwater with Me enjoying every min of it ... traveling to new dive spots

Lowlights ; missing out on some Epic dives do to schedule conflicts :angry:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Number of dives logged: >100

Highlights : Coz with nwdc, God's Pocket, Barkley, Deception Pass, ThThTh, San Juan Islands, Salt Creek. Meeting a whole bunch of great people, taking divers to sites for the first time.

Lowlights: total suit flood at whitecliff, downwelling at Coz, distressing some buddies cuz I stayed down too long

2018: dive Dodd's Narrows, God's Pocket, Deception Pass, Neah Bay, SJI. Hmm do I need to do Thasis? Help out new photographers more and hang out with and invite a greater number of experienced photographers as well just to geek out. Hit me up if you wanna be on my list. Watch scubajess win $100 from h20doc?

Happy New Year!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

YellowEye wrote: Watch scubajess win $100 from h20doc?

Happy New Year!
THIS!! :partydance: :taco: :partydance:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Number of dives logged: 114 (up to 477 dives since Aug 2014)

Highlights : God's Pocket!!!! Cozumel with the ThThTh crew (OMG Fun!), Barkley Sound, So much Keystone & Pickles action!!! Deception Pass 4 times this year, Fox Island, Beautiful San Juan Island adventures (I got to drive the boat for live boat pick up), Redondo ThThTh away missions to lumpy land, Neah Bay!!!!! Salt Creek, Porteau Cove, Whytcliff, Kelvin Grove, Blackly Rock & China Wall on JPA's boat, Sund Rock, Muck, Junk Yard, Sunrise by land, Edmonds, Les Davis Christmas Eve Dive. Made so many new friends and dive buddies!! :luv: :taco: :partyman: :pirate: :popcorn: :joshsmith: :taco:

Lowlights: Sunrise by land...Fox Island by land!!! J/K really good work out and nothing compared to Whytcliff & Kelvin Grove Hills! Tore my neck seal at Sunrise, tore my wrist seal at God's Pocket. Got Sea Sick at Salt Creek. Also the worst part... my dive-mobile Steve just blew a head gasket at Edmonds on Saturday :( :eek:

2018: dive Dodd's Narrows, God's Pocket, Deception Pass, Neah Bay, SJI. Want to dive Thasis!! Gotta dive a lot in my new front zip drysuit and beat H20dr in # of dives! Also need to get a new car! Also really want to go to Maui! And I want to provide excellent Weezle Extreme Plus service to keep all my fellow divers nice and toasty in the new year! :luv: :eric: :taco: :joshsmith:

Happy New Year!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
stphnmartin
Amphibian

Post by stphnmartin »

Number of dives logged: 178

Highlights: Cozumel nwdc style, Barkley Sound, Komodo, SJIs, ThThTh, Salt Creek on a sunny day, Sunrise, fox island, keystone. NC wreck diving, new camera, old diving friends, new diving friends here and around the world. New NWDC t-shirts

Lowlights: Bank account after upgrading to a new camera kit. Drone fatality.

2018: Anilao with friends, SJIs, Dodd's Narrows, Deception, ThThTh, Banda Sea, Blakely Rock
:popcorn: View dive videos on my youtube channel. GH5, Nauticam housing, Big Blue 9000s, Sola 500, 1200, Scuba Lamp Snoot, Mavic 2 Pro, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

Number of dives logged: a piddly 68

Highlights: God's Pocket, lots of harbor seals, octos, squid, and crabs.

Lowlights: Flooding camera shortly before God's Pocket
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Dives = 40; my all time low in 17 years. :(

Highlights = Getting engaged at 30 ft at Redondo with a super fun underwater proposal in July! And, fulfilling a bucket list item--diving with great white sharks at Guadalupe in August.

Lowlights = Two rear end collisions within 3 weeks of each other that jacked my back and kept me out of the water for 3+ months. Stupid uninsured crackheads...both times!
Jenn
StrangeDoc
Avid Diver

Post by StrangeDoc »

Dives = 90 (since May as well) (not counting freediving)

Highlights = Open water cert in may, GUE recreational in Sept, Freediving in Sept. Every site was new and a great experience all around the sound. So many things seen, so many new friends made.

Lowlights = Couple of injuries (ear barotrauma). Kids still haven't started diving yet.
David_FLOR
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by David_FLOR »

Dives = 55 [not great, but better than most previous recent years]

Highlights = Poor Knights Islands in New Zealand; Belize live-aboard (3rd time); Bahamas live-aboard; day trips to Jupiter and West Palm

Lowlights = Missed my objective of diving at least once every month

2018: refresher with my son in Key Largo in January; relocation to the PNW sometime in the fall; trying out the new drysuit, first in the Springs and NC wrecks, then in the really cold water.
"....in wildness is the preservation of the world..." Thoreau
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dives = 46
Highlights = finally doing Eagle's nest, just over a 5 hour dive swimming in Ginnie Springs (noodle legs), 9 dives in the great lakes including the Morell
Lowlights = 3 hours of deco to get out of Eagle's nest, not being able to get the right gas for a new Tallahassee cave
2018 = more cave diving, more trips to BC
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Dives = 50+

Highlights = Diving the Warren and the Sherman car in Lk Crescent. Diving the Bomber and the Dowell in Lk. WA.

Lowlights = Not diving enough this fall.

2018 = More diving. Lots of practice playing with multiple bottles, finally finish up Mod3.
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

Hey Tim, lets splash this year. I got 71 dives, nothing exotic, all Puget and BC. My faves were Snake Island Wall and Hoko Reef. It was a lot more shore diving plus charters as my boat was available only a few months.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

ohopdiver wrote:Hey Tim, lets splash this year. I got 71 dives, nothing exotic, all Puget and BC. My faves were Snake Island Wall and Hoko Reef. It was a lot more shore diving plus charters as my boat was available only a few months.
Ooh! Can can you post a trip report on snake Island wall on a separate thread? I haven't dlove that site in 10 years but I always loved it! A bunch of us are hoping to go back there in March!

I hadn't heard of Hoko Reef. Sounds cool! Would love to hear more about that too!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Diverdave68
Avid Diver

Post by Diverdave68 »

Dives: 80 Ten more than the year before. But, I want more than 90 this year.

Highlights: God's Pocket trip. How I managed to pull it together in just a few hours while traveling through the wilds of Eastern Washington is beyond me. All the great dive buddies I've met this year. The new dive sites and critters.

Lowlights: Not bringing my favorite dive buddy to God's pocket (She agrees). 4 point exit. Broken gear.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

CaptnJack wrote:Dives = 46
Highlights = finally doing Eagle's nest, just over a 5 hour dive swimming in Ginnie Springs (noodle legs), 9 dives in the great lakes including the Morell
Lowlights = 3 hours of deco to get out of Eagle's nest, not being able to get the right gas for a new Tallahassee cave
2018 = more cave diving, more trips to BC
Wow... congratulations on Eagles Nest that is one of the top 5 hardest caves and deadliest to dive in the world
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

My highlight was diving the deep wrecks at truk. We even got to dive the Oite twice. (and its way way way the heck out there)

lowlight, not the balls to drop all my bail outs and get into the engine rooms. They are so kewl.

Set new deepest dive at 350ft, will do that 400 ft dive in Redondo this year.

Dives, I dunno, I go by hours, and its many.

For 2018, get the dive boat setup, and go from there. 2018 may be epic
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

H20doctor wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: Wow... congratulations on Eagles Nest that is one of the top 5 hardest caves and deadliest to dive in the world
Not really, its just deep so you really rack up deco fast. We spent an hour at 220ft, 3 hrs of deco to get out was super boring. I did the easiest dive there, the lockwood tunnel, with an insta-buddy I have only known through scubaboard and facebook for a decade. Basically he gave me a tour, at 4 hours its about the shortest Eagle's dive you can do. Unless you just bounce (straight) down the entrance tube to the top of the debris cone at 130-140ft
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.