sea star wasting

General banter about diving and why we love it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

sea star wasting

Post by CaptnJack »

Started noticing more and more with every dive myself

http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/science ... 456269.php?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: sea star wasting

Post by Penopolypants »

Yay!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

[quote]The wasting syndrome never completely disappeared in Northern and Central California and it has reappeared in the Salish Sea region of Washington state, according to a November report by the University of Santa Cruz.[quote]
Not encouraging tho...
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

THe wasting still continues, even if not on great scale. I see plenty of baby stars, but that was true in last two winters without showing substantial increase in sea stars in Whidbey waters. Especially hard hit Sunflower stars are far from recovered. Here and there I see few adults at Keystone and Holmes Harbor, but at Langley, where they used to be in hundreds, I might come across couple of six inch strugglers... And what is discouraging is that I see wasting even if the water is now cold. :(
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Hood Canal is dramatically improved over 2 yrs ago
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Mid sound is still suffering issues, the mottled stars are the primary asteroid showing recovery (small ones a year or so ago grown to now mid sized) and even so, up to 20% of those on a given dive are wasting. We still have very few Ochre stars of which one or two always seem to be wasting and i can’t remember the last time i saw even a juvenile sunflower at the coves.
From reports it sounds like there are pockets of healthy ochre stars around the mid sound (over on the far side of Gig Harbor area etc.), it would be awesome to map these pockets and understand if they were just less impacted or what. These pockets though, all seem like collections of mostly adults, meaning that here in the mid sound anyway perhaps they were not impacted so much in the first place. That said, I don’t know how long it takes for an ochre star to grow to adult size.
This images that Jan K has been sharing show smaller mottled stars in prevalence but with wasting as he’s described above.
If anything the reports basically indicate that we need more data. So taking note of sea stars on your dives and reporting back would be outstanding.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

At Mukilteo last weekend I saw 6-7 ochre (purple) sea stars....adult size, but every one of them wasting. :(
SealScott
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SealScott »

Seeing more medium sized pycnopodias – few along Alki Pipeline and one out at Pt Townsend - but it's hard to tell if they are infected. I've counted a few mottled stars, but only a couple of ochres.

Has anyone seen any spiny pinks?
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

SealScott wrote:Seeing more medium sized pycnopodias – few along Alki Pipeline and one out at Pt Townsend - but it's hard to tell if they are infected. I've counted a few mottled stars, but only a couple of ochres. Has anyone seen any spiny pinks?

I found three small ( about 5") Pycnopodias, and dozens of "spiny pinks" at Langley few days ago. All healthy.
One Mottled wasting, all others healthy.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
SealScott
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SealScott »

Jan K wrote: I found three small ( about 5") Pycnopodias, and dozens of "spiny pinks" at Langley few days ago. All healthy.
One Mottled wasting, all others healthy.
Good to hear. Thank you, Jan!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I have seen several Large Sunflowers , Healthy and Big... Alki Junkyard.. 3 tree.. Saw 2 big guys at EUP... And scootering Driftwood Beach ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen