Redondo Beach Dive Site Development Project

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Hoodsport_Diver
Compulsive Diver

Redondo Beach Dive Site Development Project

Post by Hoodsport_Diver »

Please plan on attending the Des Moines City Council meeting tomorrow night to support for the Redondo Dive Site Project

Here is a reminder from Mike Racine of the Washington Scuba Alliance:

Hello all,

Just a quick reminder that we will be presenting on the Redondo Beach Dive Site Development Project to the City of Des Moines Council tomorrow night at 7:00PM. Attached is the council’s meeting agenda. We are right up front. If you can make it, it would really help to show the support the project has within the dive community. If you plan to come, if possible, wear some kind of dive-related shirt or hat or pin.

The meeting location is:

21630 11th Avenue S
Des Moines, Washington

Hope to see you there!

Mike

Mike Racine | Director of Government Affairs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoodsport_Diver
bradmond
Submariner

Re: Redondo Beach Dive Site Development Project

Post by bradmond »

Here's a pic of the PDF file showing that WSA presentation is near the beginning of the meeting.
2018-02-21 15_59_09-Clipboard.jpg
Milwaukie-diver
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Milwaukie-diver »

Wish I could be there...I will be diving there on Friday tho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

With you in spirit from Anilao!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I wish this had posted earlier in the week so I could make plans to attend.
I hope it all went well.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

Yeah, this was really poorly timed for me. Any way for me to provide comments outside of the meeting?
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

derekcs wrote:Yeah, this was really poorly timed for me. Any way for me to provide comments outside of the meeting?
Comments can be directed to WSA director Mike Racine

Mike Racine | Director of Government Affairs

Mike@racinefamily.org
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Is there a public comment period and contact person/place that will allow us to communicate directly to the Des Moines City Council and/or whomever the agency that is overseeing the environmental aspects of this project? (similar to discussions put forth by Jen re: Saltwater restorations)

https://www.kingcounty.gov/services/env ... ation.aspx
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Id like to also see a link to progress , and plans .. And what is needed to support this reef .. We have a strong voice as divers to make changes to puget sound and the recovery and growth of Rockfish
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

Here's a link to videos of the Des Moines meetings.

The links didn't work for me but I am at works so maybe they'll work for others.

https://www.desmoineswa.gov/497/Meeting-Video
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

ljjames wrote:Is there a public comment period and contact person/place that will allow us to communicate directly to the Des Moines City Council and/or whomever the agency that is overseeing the environmental aspects of this project? (similar to discussions put forth by Jen re: Saltwater restorations)

https://www.kingcounty.gov/services/env ... ation.aspx
An email from Mike Racine said that Council Member Matt Mahoney is helping us on this.

Matt Mahoney
Council Member
Position #7
Ph: 425-941-0090
mmahoney@desmoineswa.gov

Also taken from the same email...

Senator Karen Keiser was instrumental in helping us secure this investment in recreation infrastructure and the dive community. If you have a minute, it would be nice to send her a thank you note. Her email is karen.keiser@leg.wa.gov
SealScott
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SealScott »

bradmond wrote:Here's a link to videos of the Des Moines meetings.

The links didn't work for me but I am at works so maybe they'll work for others.

https://www.desmoineswa.gov/497/Meeting-Video

Thank you for posting this link! It worked fine for me.

Also, a huge "THANK YOU!" to everyone that is volunteering their time to support this project!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Great job Mike and Rus!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

The latest update from WSA

Hello all,

I thought you’d like to know that Rus Higley was able to connect the Redondo Dive Site project design to an advanced landscape architecture studio class that took place this spring in the University of Washington Department of Landscape Architecture. Rus and I met with the instructors and graduate students several times over the last two months to communicate the input from our public meetings. The students marshalled their innovative thinking and creativity to produce some great design concepts. Prof. Iain Robertson has been teaching landscape architecture design at the UW for almost 40 years. His assistant Brooke Sullivan recently returned from her PhD studies at the Victorian Marine Science Consortium in Victoria, Australia where she focused on seagrass biology.

Attached is the flyer the department posted describing the class. They have finalized their concepts for a reef at Redondo, and we wanted to invite you to a briefing at the MaST Center that will be presented by the students.

Unfortunately, the briefing has to be conducted during the day to accommodate the students’ schedules. We will forward all the presentation materials via email after the briefing.

Here’s the invitation. Hope you can swing by to hear it in person, otherwise, we’ll send it via email.

Thanks, Mike

REDONDO REEF DESIGN PROPOSAL
Wednesday, May 30, 2--4.30pm
Highline MaST Center
Redondo Beach Drive, Des Moines, WA

Please join faculty and students from the University of Washington's Department of Landscape Architecture for a presentation of our design proposals for the Redondo Reef at the Highline Community College Marine Science and Technology Center (MaST) on Redondo Drive, Des Moines from 2 to 4.30 pm on Wednesday, 30 May, 2018.

Our imaginative design proposals combine the wisdom of science with the insights of art to create ideal reef conditions for the development of complex marine ecosystems and engaging diver experiences.

We appreciate the opportunity we have had to work with MaST staff, WSA divers and teachers, and Des Moines city officials along with University of Washington marine and materials experts to develop our schematic plans for the new reef. We are excited to share our design proposals with you in an engaging and interactive presentation and look forward to seeing you on Wednesday 30 May!
Attachments
UW Landscape Architecture Class.pdf
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 152 times