Sund Rock changes

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Sund Rock changes

Post by Gdog »

Flagpole was up to $20 per person as of 2 years ago. Haven't dove it since then but it's about time to hit it. Sund was also at $20. So it seems that for now the Sunds have dropped it back down perhaps to try to keep divers. Will be interesting to see what happens over the next year.
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

lynchpit2 wrote:I was able to contact Cindy Sund about access to Sund Rock going forward.
Here are the details.
They will open the gate on Saturday and Sunday with registration from 9-4.
Where do you register? Is it still at Hoodsport n Dive?
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

derekcs wrote:
lynchpit2 wrote:I was able to contact Cindy Sund about access to Sund Rock going forward.
Here are the details.
Where do you register? Is it still at Hoodsport n Dive?
Not at the dive shop. That isn't an option at this point. Sounds like during Saturday and Sunday you drive up to the gate. Or email them at the address given.
lynchpit2
Avid Diver

Post by lynchpit2 »

I was just told, they are setup to take cash or cards.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

It'd be interesting to know what the actual process is now, will they have someone on entry throughout the day? It sounds so?
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

Here are the details.
Weekday, off hours, night dives or group reservations can be made with Cindy personally at cindy.sund@alderbrookresort.com
Access is now $15 PP PD and includes taxes
From Cindy, “ I’ll make every effort for divers go get access if the process is respectful and the property is cared for”

Sounds like they have some other things in the works that could be really good for divers going forward as well, but will let that come out from them.
Good news. I might try and make it out there next weekend to see how it's working now.
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

lynchpit2 wrote:I was just told, they are setup to take cash or cards.
Someone just sitting out there all day with a lawn chair, a paperback, a phone, and a Square?
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Jeremy wrote:WELL!! I’ll just use my $3000 scooter to avoid the swim and after 150 visits to Sund Rock it will be like diving for free...

thats what im thinking ..... scooter that sucker Magnus 950 action !!
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

other than whatever the hump is to get all your gear to shore.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

I dove Sund Rock with 2 students yesterday (June 2nd)

I met both Mark and Cindy Sund and they told be about the plans they have for the area.
Its interesting and exciting. The biggest thing is they are both expanding and reducing diver pressure on Sund Rock.

Notes and points
- The price is lower then when HSD managed the access - Now only $15

- They plan to improve things - Camping out at Sund Rock sounds like a neat option. They might put in a "bunk house" type of rental which would work awesome for small classes or groups. A fresh water rinse area would be awesome.

- You can arrange to access the land at odd hours -- Night dives and ect and pay in advance for access. Something HSD wouldn't allow.

- They may limit the number of divers who access the parking lot per day and there will be more days during the week its closed. (Unless you arrange special access by contacting them) I know some people might complain about this but just plan in advance and get a hold of them. I think giving Sund Rock some days off from divers and reducing the number of divers will help it become an even better dive site.

So after hearing all of this -- They are not greedy and trying to get maximum money -- NO the cost is actually less and they want let the underwater environment grow and flourish. I hope the dive community supports them and this all works out. While we can do the free access -- Thats not really an option for taking students and brand new divers there.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

jerryehrlich wrote:The DNR owned public access is still available. It is 2.4 miles from Hoodpsort with plenty of parking. The trail is a bit of a hike to a very nice beach and a swim to the south end of the wall. The south end is not dove as much due to its distance from the pay site. The south end is where the cloud sponges are :O) .
This access is FREE, no passes required.

Dive Often,

Jerry
Could you or someone else please add this, and perhaps the GPS coordinates to the dive site listing for Sund Rock? Or I suppose we could create a separate entry if you guys think it should be its own thing. Many people use the dive site listings as a reference the first time diving sites in the PNW.

Thanks y’all!
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

This is parking by the side of the road, and it's pretty limited. If this option is used much, it will probably cause that area to be [No Parking] zone.
You have to hump gear down a somewhat steep path to a rocky peninsula. It's a fairly long swim out to the rock. It's not nearly as easy or user friendly.

I'd call it intermediate diving, advanced approach. NOT, repeat NOT suitable for classes or mobs.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

Agreed, the public access is not appropriate for open water training.
At one point, a ban on open water classes was being considered at the pay access, due to damage caused to the environment in a Marine Conservation Area . Divers in open water training should not be expected to have the buoyancy skills to prevent road grading the bottom. Economic pressures prevailed.
Potlatch is probably a good choice for open water training on the Canal. Pinic tables, fire pits, super easy beach access, fresh water, rest rooms and outdoor showers make it a nice option. Camp sites available across the street.
Licensed harvesting is allowed and there are clams and oysters. 15 bucks per car, not per diver, make it affordable as well. A $30 annual car pass good for a year at all WA State Parks, DFW, and DNR lands also works.

Jerry
Diverdave68
Avid Diver

Post by Diverdave68 »

Gdog wrote:Bill, I don't think the issue is that there is a fee to dive the site. For all the reasons you mentioned for starters. I think most divers recognize that. Although the upkeep was provided by the dive shop. I'm not sure the Sund family, who we are all thankful that we are able to dive their site, grasps the size of the task they have undertaken in terms of just daily management. But time will tell. I think as they get into this they will discover all the nuances that the dive shop simply handled for them, and the costs associated with that. I just hope that when they arrive at that point, which shouldn't take too long, that they don't just close it for the hassle. Having the dive shop manage it for them makes it much easier for everyone involved from the divers traveling to the site up to the Sund family themselves. But hey, it's their property, they can certainly do with it what they want.
I think Gdog gets it...