Marine Id

General banter about diving and why we love it.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Marine Id

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
I've had a lot of Marine Id questions from divers lately.

If you haven't seen it, be sure to check out the following free resource by Keith C, a good friend of mine:

https://www.emeralddiving.com/id_intro.html

There are also some excellent id books, one of the best of which is my friend Andy Lamb's _Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest_. Board member Greg Jenson also has some excellent books! Collect them all!

And be sure to check out the JanK Whidbey Island Critters galleries on nwdc if you really want to geek out!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: Marine Id

Post by oldsalt »

YE: You mention all good sources. Keith maintains a neat project. For years, I traveled on my sailboat with a shelf full of field guides and keys. My life has changed, but watching wildlife still gives me great pleasure. Thank you.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Post by Sharkb8 »

I found Keith’s website a few years ago and it is an awesome resource for not only critters but for also dive sites and planning! I still regularly look at it to read about the San Juan and Neah sites that I want to visit someday if I ever get (a friend with) a boat.

I just picked up Greg Jensen’s new invertebrate book and it is fantastic. It’s also more up to date then the other guides. The sceintists have been busy lately breaking up some nudis, anemones and slugs into different species that I used to think were the same. In case anyone is wondering you can order it at http://www.molamarine.com/.

Great post Eric!
Party underwater
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

:goodpost:
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: