Clean up a dive site ?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
john gearhart II
Avid Diver

Clean up a dive site ?

Post by john gearhart II »

Hello fellow divers I have been taking a piece of trash out of the waters every dive I Make a small can a piece of plastic is there a group of divers that maybe take one dive a month or so and so to just clean up the trash if so I would like to join in i know my little part is helping but maybe if I joined in with others I can make a little more of a impact in my playground
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Re: Clean up a dive site ?

Post by SCUBARM79 »

I plan to do the same and have been thinking about organizing something, but haven't gotten up the moxy yet to make it public. When I take my kids to the lake, I snorkel around and pickup trash under water beyond the swim zone. Kids like to see what I bring up and claim the treasure! (frisbees, dive rings, not- too-crunchy goggles/masks) They also all say the same thing, "Dude, people are trashing the lake!" when they see the "other stuff" I drag up.

I know there are Marina clean up days, don't know who organizes them. Same with under fishing piers (like in Edmonds)- again- don't know who organizes them. I recall seeing one in Mukilteo in the past as well... you get the idea.

Does someone know who to reach out to about these events? I know that marinas are usually a closed area due to obvious hazards.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Just make sure there's no critters living in the trash when you bring it up. :mermaid:
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Post by SCUBARM79 »

I have certainly brought up some whopper crawdads! I had a pair in a gatorade bottle and had to cut the bottle open to release them, since they couldnt' back out the neck of the bottle. The beach kids LOVED those. Gave me opportunity to show the kids what else is in the lake. Bunch of kids ran up on the beach, grabbed their goggles and started searching for trash and other 'treasure'. little did they know the 'good stuff' was out around 12-20ft deep.