Alki Point Safe Streets debacle

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Alki Point Safe Streets debacle

Post by ljjames »

Anyone who lives or dives in west seattle may have heard about the latest shenanigan. The “STREET CLOSED” Signs stretch from basically Cactus to Constellation Park. (Meaning the junkyard and pipeline are in theory closed)

Had a long chat with one of the local Cops today after my little dive about the “safe streets” stuff and from what i gather the cops (or one cop) are on OUR side. There is no law on the books and no way to enforce in his mind. How does he know we don’t live there and are just parked on the street. He says “just go dive!” 😀 I also asked about what’s up with Cove 2 parking lot and he just shook his head. Same nonsense, but since its a “Parks Closure” that is a bit more challenging, so probably best to park on street if you are going to dive C2 for the time being, no need to poke the bear.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Alki Point Safe Streets debacle

Post by ScubaJess »

Thanks for the update!!! :)
Would be so sad to loose access to those dive spots.
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

How about everyone gets to use the street as long as there is respectful sharing, no speeding, and no harassment, endangerment, asphyxiation, or colliding with bicyclists, non-motorists. You don't need to get to the Alki strip in 5 minutes going 40+mph. Ya just don't...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

A few of use who voiced concern and chatted up the cops were heard... it mentions “divers concerned” in the Alki community council meeting. Always speak up, join your fellow divers even if it isn’t your ‘local’. We have to stick together on this or we will find ourselves with even fewer readily accessible shore diving sites.

https://westseattleblog.com/2020/05/wha ... y-council/
----
RJG
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by RJG »

I was thinking about diving the Junkyard on Sunday...just a nice shallow dive...especially if the cops arnt going to enforce the " parks closed" thing. am I reading that earlier post correctly ?
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Post by orcasc205 »

I bicycled through there yesterday and saw the "Street Closed -- Local Traffic Only" sign. From my perspective, parking to use the park there is "local traffic" as opposed to "thru traffic" which would be just using the street to get from point A to point B. Is that not how others are interpreting the sign?

Edited to add:

This is a quote from the Seattle DOT blog: "People with destinations along Stay Healthy Streets – like residents, essential workers, emergency service providers, delivery providers, and garbage and recycling collectors will continue to have vehicle access." I would say parking to go diving at Alki is a destination on the street.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Sounds like we need a sacrificial lamb to send in...see if the wolves get him while wearing a drysuit!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Always happy to sacrifice for the community....

So far I’ve dove Junkyard and Constellation with only dirty looks from the folks walking in the middle of the streets as I tried to get to my parking place. I did park ‘across’ the street at pipeline to not poke the bear _too_ much. There was a cop sitting and watching at constellation as i packed up, but that could also have been due to the curfew although i was within the allotted allowed time.
Attachments
26E67C53-D90F-4116-BDF3-7A52766DD037.jpeg
EFF445D7-D977-48E0-B5F1-BA7E64CDFA85.jpeg
----