BazillionQuestionsRegardingGearConfiguration

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Dominick Gheesling
Just Settling In

BazillionQuestionsRegardingGearConfiguration

Post by Dominick Gheesling »

Moving out to the St Helens, Portland area within the next 60 days.

Currently located in Tallahassee, FL where I have been primarily Cave Diving for the past three years.

So, I am all set for beautiful clear water, fresh water, that is 69F-70F.

Clearly, things are going to change.

I am absolutely interested in Shore Diving as well as Boat Diving.
I have been following this group and it appears to me that many people are Shore Diving single tanks and many of those are also carrying a pony bottle or stage for redundancy. I am all about the redundancy.

Here's what I have and some options and I would LOVE to hear what other people are Shore Diving out there.

I have a set of PST 104s full of Trimix - Don't see those seeing much use from shore.

I have a set of PST 95s currently set up as doubles but I am about to dismantle them to use them in Sidemount configuration (I think)

I have two Faber 85s currently set up for Sidemount configuration but I am thinking that I will put them back together as doubles (If I break apart the 95s) The 85s are nice for Boat Doubles.

I also have 3 AL80 stages and 2 AL40 o2 bottles.

And there is a stray single PST95.

So, I guess my big question is what are people using to shore dive (I see Shore Diving as my primary mode)? What are the bottom times like?

Would my 85s be too much as doubles for shore diving? Should I consider single 95 and slinging a stage instead? Am I going to need a pony bottle? If I need a pony bottle, What size bottle and what system for rigging? Can I keep my long hose?

I think those are most of my questions (for now). I can't wait to get out there and get salty and sort out my weight!

Thanks for any advice and/or input!

Dominick :boucegreen:

ps Yes, I have a drysuit with SiTech Oval RIng System and Drygloves and my WEEZLE!!!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: BazillionQuestionsRegardingGearConfiguration

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
Welcome!

We have divers doing singles, singles with ponies or bailouts, doubles, rebreathers and sidemounts. Some with scooters, most without. Depends which crowd you run in and what your goals are. My typical crowd (mostly photographers) mostly do singles with ponies or bailouts, and an occasional rebreather. We only have a few locals on side mounts but they are more common in vancouver BC.

Shore diving with trimix does happen. From shore there are a few deep walls and six gill shark searches are often best done with trimix. Local lakes offer a few deep wrecks but they're very silty and devoid of life.

Personally I use single HP 130's or 133's, along with a slung 40 cu ft bailout bottle. 117's are also super nice. I usually get a 70-100 minute dive out of those and it doesn't break my back as doubles probably would.

Many get cold at the 50-60 minute mark. Most boat captains will limit you to 60-70 minutes unless you're on a private boat. Slack periods and your experience in current can also limit your bottom time to 60 mins or less on occasion as well.

Your weezle and dry gloves could help you extend beyond 60 minutes. A heater also helps during the winter.

I used to do a long hose but found it added a lot of drag when I was in current. I also do a lot of solo dives or dives with buddies on bailouts it didn't make sense to keep the long hose.

Hope you love it, and hope to see you at the beach some time!

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Any of your scuba tanks will work... We have shallow diving here and we have deep shore diving here... I know that when I was diving in fort Lauderdale it's very shallow from the shoreline The only way to get down is by boat diving.
I dive many tanks here . Aluminum 80's... I've got some cute little steel '80s 2400 PSI... And then I have my big boy 119.
Most of us here usually get an hour out of diving
And some shallow areas were getting over 90 minutes...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

YellowEye's answers sums it all up nicely.

Many of us find our dive times are thermally limited -- or we need to pee (drysuit, you know). Currents may also limit dive times, get ready for a change of pace! Deep dives can be dark and murky; fortunately a lot of the nifty critters are in fairly shallow waters, 80 ft or less.

For perspective, I'm on the lazy low-tech side of things. Between the cold, the immersion diuresis, and just being a general weenie, most of my dives are done on a single steel HP100 and last about an hour. It's an exciting day when I strap on a 130 with a pony and go 'deep', say 100fsw. Such adventure!

(Edit: Why St. Helens? Speaking as someone who's lived around there, I suggest planning frequent dive trips to someplace drier and sunnier, like Mexico or, uh, even Seattle.)
Last edited by 60south on Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

I dive with an 80ish cuft and a 100cuft with a side slung pony. Most people here that I see tend to favor HP80's or HP100's. My dives are typically anywhere from 50-90 min depending on depth. I dive a long hose, no issues.

There's plenty of places that you can go as deep as you want to from shore. No boat required.
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Post by orcasc205 »

There is also a great community of GUE divers up here in Seattle that are welcoming of new divers no matter what agency they have trained with, so your long hose won't raise any eyebrows. There are several wrecks in Lake Washington (both aircraft and vessels) that can be reach by boat (usually private boats) or with a scooter from shore if that is of interest. Many of us dive double HP100s from shore, so your LP85s would fit right in for boat diving or shore diving. I also dive HP130s for longer, deeper single-tank dives and LP95s or HP100s for the shallower sites to save my back a bit.

For boat diving, check out Bandito Charters out of Tacoma (http://www.banditocharters.com). YSS Dive in Hoodsport on Hood Canal (which is pretty accessible for Oregon divers) also now has a boat and is starting to offer charters.
Dominick Gheesling
Just Settling In

Hey thanks for all of the feedback!!!

I am encouraged and excited!!!

Breaking down my lp95s into singles and really looking forward to seeing the cold water marine life from the shallows to the depths.

Dominick
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Dominick Gheesling wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:03 pm
I have a set of PST 104s full of Trimix - Don't see those seeing much use from shore.
Are you interested in tec or recreational diving? If you want to tec dive in the PNW, keep the 104's.
Dominick Gheesling wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:03 pm I have a set of PST 95s currently set up as doubles but I am about to dismantle them to use them in Sidemount configuration (I think)
That's a really heavy tank for side mount. You're much better off breaking them up for single back mount or keeping them together for tec dives.
Dominick Gheesling wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:03 pm I have two Faber 85s currently set up for Sidemount configuration but I am thinking that I will put them back together as doubles (If I break apart the 95s) The 85s are nice for Boat Doubles.
Those are good shore diving tanks also in the sub 170ft range.
Dominick Gheesling wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:03 pm I also have 3 AL80 stages and 2 AL40 o2 bottles.

And there is a stray single PST95.

So, I guess my big question is what are people using to shore dive (I see Shore Diving as my primary mode)? What are the bottom times like?
So our water is cold - right now it's 46 degrees and maxes out in the summer at 55. We have no thermocline. Run times depend on warmth - for a recreational dive I'd say 40 - 50 minutes - if you add a good undergarment and heat you can go two hours on a tech dive.
Dominick Gheesling wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:03 pm Would my 85s be too much as doubles for shore diving? Should I consider single 95 and slinging a stage instead? Am I going to need a pony bottle? If I need a pony bottle, What size bottle and what system for rigging? Can I keep my long hose?
Keep the double 85's - forget about slinging a 95. With doubles you have the redundancy so no need to sling a bottle or carry a pony.
Dominick Gheesling wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:03 pm I think those are most of my questions (for now). I can't wait to get out there and get salty and sort out my weight!

Thanks for any advice and/or input!

Dominick :boucegreen:

ps Yes, I have a drysuit with SiTech Oval RIng System and Drygloves and my WEEZLE!!!
Some pointers....
The gear you have seems fine to get started out here in the PNW - get out for a few dives and then figure out what you need to change.
For tec diving we have a very active GUE community based out of Eight Diving in Des Moines - drop by the shop and talk to Andrea
You'll need a really good primary light - our vis averages about 15 ft
The only local charter company is Banditos out of the south sound, Rick and Jackie are great folks and can help you out.
Feel free to PM me with questions or if you want to go out for a check-out dive when you get here!

BZ
Dominick Gheesling
Just Settling In

Awesome!!!

Definitely keeping the 104s.

This is all great information and I am glad some of my guesses were correct.

My 85s are back together as backmount doubles. My 95s are doing sidemount duty now and can serve as singles.

I've got a good Light Monkey 21W HID primary light.

I am interested in everything from shallow critter counting to trimix tech diving and photography.

I will definitely be in touch when I get there and absolutely looking forward to some shakedown dives to get acquainted with the new conditions.

I'm not GUE myself. I really liked the way one diver posted it in a forum, "I am DIR adjacent". :boucegreen:
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Dominick Gheesling wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:03 pm So, I guess my big question is what are people using to shore dive (I see Shore Diving as my primary mode)? What are the bottom times like?
Depending on the site; anything from single AL80's to rebreathers, and everything in between. Geology of the Puget Sound makes for varied sites; some are shallow (Edmonds Underwater Park (EUP)), and some get deep fast (Lake Washington). If you dive your 104's at EUP be prepared to nudge NDL ;-)
Dominick Gheesling wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:03 pm Would my 85s be too much as doubles for shore diving? Should I consider single 95 and slinging a stage instead? Am I going to need a pony bottle? If I need a pony bottle, What size bottle and what system for rigging? Can I keep my long hose?
Nope, as singles or doubles they'll be great. You could sling a stage, depending on your goal, but you definitely don't *need* a pony if the dive profile and buddy team(s) don't call for it. I like stage rigging, but it's up to you. You can certainly keep your long hose; lots of us here dive one (like me), even those of us not certified technical divers/GUE/DIR (like me).