Deception Pass Bridge maintenance debris

General banter about diving and why we love it.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Deception Pass Bridge maintenance debris

Post by YellowEye »

Several people found some bridge parts (bolts etc) during the last current window at deception pass. If any body else saw any parts, let me know as I have an email thread with the WSDOT about this. Take pics and remove any parts if you see them because they have lead paint. The health of deception pass has declined since last fall and we wonder if this is part to blame.

Note from WSDOT:

Thank you for your email and sharing your concerns about the marine life below our Deception Pass bridge preservation project. I understand your concerns and assure you that WSDOT takes great care in protecting the environment and following all required regulations when approaching this type of work, which is also outlined in the contract signed by our contractor for this job.

To protect the environment during this work, crews have put a 100% full containment system in place as they repair damaged sections, remove paint and then repaint the structure. These containment systems look like tarps hanging from the bridge and also include platforms under the bridge. This system is to keep paint, dust and other debris from the work out of the water.

If you have found any foreign materials while diving in the waters below, I encourage you to take photos of them and send them to us so we can identify their origin. It is possible that there may be remnants from when the bridge was constructed in the 1930’s, but we certainly could benefit from seeing what you are seeing.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210424-102006.png
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
60south
Pelagic

Re: Deception Pass Bridge maintenance debris

Post by 60south »

Thanks for telling them.
YellowEye wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:19 amIf any body else saw any parts...
For some reason I read this as, "If anyone saw body parts..." Yikes!