Canada to open border to fully vaccinated U.S. citizens on Aug. 9!!!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
SEAriously
Avid Diver

Re: Canada to open border to fully vaccinated U.S. citizens on Aug. 9!!!

Post by SEAriously »

:norris: :joshsmith: :funky: :bday:
This is the best news I've heard all day!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Sooooooo excited about this :luv: :partydance: :partydance: :eric: :eric: :joshsmith: 🇨🇦🤿🥳💖
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Max Bottomtime
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Max Bottomtime »

I will actually get to dive with ScubaJess and Yelloweye n October!!!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Max Bottomtime wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:29 pm I will actually get to dive with ScubaJess and Yelloweye n October!!!
Looking forward to it maxbottomtime! Several other board members will be joining us as well in oct.

We are in the process of booking a trip to Canada in August as we speak too.

If anyone wants to book a trip to bc, see this page on pnwdiving.com for a list of pnw charters including bc: https://pnwdiving.com/charters
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi!
Canada seems to have opened its borders today for vaccinated US citizens with a recent covid test! So far, so smooth, but maybe a little slow to cross.

If you're itching to get in to dive Canada, and are interested in seeing a listing of charters up there, we recently added a list of dive charters to the map on pnwdiving.com. Go to the homepage and select "see dive charters on map" from the search menu, then click a region. There's more charters up there than I thought!

Enjoy!
insomniac
Just Settling In

Post by insomniac »

One more fun fact I hadn't realized until today, currently you don't need to get tested to get back into the USA as long as you are using the land border to cross. I had wrongly assumed the 72 hour testing applied to all border crossings, but currently you just need a NAAT/PCR test within 72 hours of your crossing to get into Canada, but there is no requirement to get tested on your way home (this explains why the US border agent didn't want to see my test results on my way home a few weeks ago. I thought it was because I only spent one night in Canada and my original test was still valid). Anyways, this is good news and makes traveling a lot less stressful (and cheaper)!

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... Entry.html
Q: Does this Order apply to land border crossings?
A: No, the requirements of this Order only apply to air travel into the US.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Yay!

A bunch of us went to canada last weekend. There was extra test work and paperwork involved but the crossing itself was super easy. There were no cars in front of us when we arrived to the crossing in either direction.

Pcr tests vary wildly in cost. The cheapest one we found was $90 from Hawaiian airlines. Others were 200+.

The process requires you download the ArriveCAN app and fill out a form within it. In that form it asks you for an address you'll be quarantining at should you test positive. That is point of confusion for many. As I understand it, it's no longer necessary to have such a plan, but they haven't updated the app to make it not required. You can just put in whatever your destination is in Canada for this field.

It was so great to get back to canada!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

I agree! Canada is the best!

Here is the place we used for covid test. If by car there is no spot so just put in Canada airlines flight and it should work :) got results in 24 hours

https://worksitelabs.com/scheduling/
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Post by Sharkb8 »

I had one of the easiest entries ever back into the states with my Nexus card. 3 questions and 45 seconds total. Heading up was a bit longer since NEXUS was closed. They were being very thorough and chatty, taking almost 5 minutes with every car going through. I didn't have a print off of my negative test but they had no problem looking at the email on my phone. The border agent now knows the difference between SSI and PADI dive certification also.... Still there were no problems and being back in the Canadian waters was well worth it!
Party underwater
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Post by orcasc205 »

Out of curiosity, what have those you that have traveled up Canada since the border reopened done about the quarantine plan that is supposed to be put in the ArriveCan app? We’re fully vaccinated and are heading up for one night before a Sea Dragon charter and will be returning to the U.S. the next day. Are we supposed to arrange 14 days of lodging?
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi Doug
See my post from Sep 04, 2021 10:37 am above.
Have a great trip!
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Post by orcasc205 »

Thanks, Eric. I had missed that. I'll just put our hotel address in there then. Cheers!
Max Bottomtime
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Max Bottomtime »

Merry and I arrived in Port Hardy today. It was fairly painless. We showed our vaccination cards and negative tests at LAX and Vancouver airport and had no real delay. We'll be here for 2 1/2 weeks. I hope we don't get sick while we're here. :)
Last edited by Max Bottomtime on Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
Where are you going after week 2? We'll be going to Campbell River after our week.
Enjoy and see you soon!
Max Bottomtime
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Max Bottomtime »

We'll be hauling our boat out for bottom paint and mechanical repairs. We really need some fun dives!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi. We got selected randomly to do a covid test when we crossed the border just now. That would have took a bunch of time. So we told them we had a ferry reservation to catch. They let us thru but we still have to do the paperwork and online meeting for a test. Fyi.