First time in Hoodsport, one day to dive

General banter about diving and why we love it.
eric
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

First time in Hoodsport, one day to dive

Post by eric »

My wife and I will be staying in Glen Ayr the night of Sept 9th and plan to dive the morning of Sept 10th before check-out. This is just a quick stop on our way down to California and San Carlos Mexico for more diving. Looking for recommendations on what dive we should try?

Would like to stay no deeper than 30' average, 50' max, depending on viz and temp. So I think that rules out the docks at Glen Ayr, and probably also Flagpole. Do the docks behind YSS have a name? I'm having trouble finding any videos or info about that site, but the employee at YSS said they often see octopus there (I think she meant that spot). YSS seems like a good place to rent tanks, so that is a bonus if we can just dive right there, but only if it is a good option.

I've just found this list and will go through it: https://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewforum.php?f=6 -- it is a little hard to know which ones are in the Hoodsport area though, so may take me some time.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: First time in Hoodsport, one day to dive

Post by YellowEye »

Hi

YSS is great!

The viz reports in the canal haven't been great lately. See https://pnwdiving.com/

There was one report of decent viz at Rosies Ravine, but that was only deeper.
Flag Pole probably wouldn't be a great choice... its deep, a long swim, and the parking is terrible.
Point Whitney might have better viz as its a little north but you may get tempted to go deeper than 50 going down that slope.

Sund Rock would be an ideal profile (recommend the south side). The viz report from today was terrible but there were some cool sightings like 3 octos and a dogfish!

You can see where the various Hood Canal sites are on a map if you go to the "view all sites" option under search on pnwdiving.com

Hope you enjoy! Would appreciate any viz reports you can leave...
-Eric
Last edited by YellowEye on Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Oh, and I think they call the docks behind YSS "Port of Hoodsport" and you'll need a reservation for Sund Rock. Often you can mail Sund Rock day of and still get in if you're lucky.
eric
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by eric »

Love that pnwdiving.com site, thank you for sharing!

I think we will try Sund Rock, since I know far ahead the date/time we will be there, and for future visits I might not be planning ahead.

Next time I dive at my local spot, Slip Point, I'll try posting a viz report. The latest viz report from Sekiu, with the GPO sighting, almost makes me want to try there again, but not worth it with the huge mess of people in the summer, and the new owners block off the parking lot every winter :(
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Okay, have fun!

Interesting that you dive Slip Point. I've eyed it (out by the point) in the past, but never found a place to enter and never found any site details. Can you share where the parking, entry and dive are? Is it any good?

We haven't had much issues with crowds at Sekiu lately. Last winter we were able to park fairly close to the entry as well, we just had to walk between the docks in the parking lot.

Have you dived at Hoku or Sekiu River?

Will you dive California? See our recent trip report from Monterey Bay. We can hook you up with some locals or dive shops if you like.

Have a good trip!
jcaes
Getting To Know Folks

Post by jcaes »

Consider diving at Sunrise Motel, also, if you're new to diving in the PNW or the Puget Sound. With a $20 beach fee, the site has full facilities for diving: restrooms, tables, rinse bucket, outdoor shower, air fills, and there is a lot to see. In the 15ft-45ft ranges you can find lots of sunk boats, and a huge diversity of animal life (GPO's, Wolf Eels, Rockfish, Dogfish, Lingcod, Six-Gill Sharks, Anemones, crustaceans, and more). Entries are super easy with a long slow descents to depth and things to see into technical diving limits. I'm coming up on the 10th but won't arrive until late afternoon or early even otherwise I'd give you a tour! I will be there Saturday and Sunday also if you decide to stay an extra day. I dive there all year long so drop me a line anytime. --carlos