Cozumel Dive Operator Recommendation?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
dtodd
Avid Diver

Cozumel Dive Operator Recommendation?

Post by dtodd »

Hi Team NDC,
I have a friend en route to Cozumel who just asked for a recommendation of a dive outfit.
He is not a beginner but hasn't dove in a few years. Anyone on the Island that you recommend?
Thanks,
DT
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Cozumel Dive Operator Recommendation?

Post by YellowEye »

Hi!
Gdog is our local coz expert. I believe he recommends Aldora divers
Gdog wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:08 pm Paging gdog...
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Lol thanks for the flag YE.
There probably over 100 dive ops on Cozumel. It depends on what type of dive op your friend is looking for. In my humble opinion, Aldora Divers,
[https://www.aldora.com/] are the best for a couple reasons; all of those over 100 dive ops use aluminum 80 tanks. Only 3 dive ops that I am aware of use bigger tanks. Aldora is one of those, with steel HP120 tanks. Another great reason is that Aldora is the ONLY dive op that, should the weather close the harbor as happens occasionally, they are geared and boated up to dive the "other side", or the east side. This is typically not diveable due to wave action, but when the norte blows in it hits the west side and the east side is very calm. It is pristine, and has an old spanish shipwreck among other cool things, and you can only dive it thru Aldora. They are a couple bucks more per tank, but you get a bigger tank, and a top notch dive op. Depending on where you stay, they are able to pick up at most docks. Some dive ops cant, or wont do that due to the charges from the dock owners.
There are other good dive ops, but you will dive an aluminum 80.
If you have any more questions, feel free to fire away!
dtodd
Avid Diver

Post by dtodd »

Thanks Gdog,
I'll pass that along.
DT
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Probably a little late to weigh in on this, but I have done quite a but of time in Coz/PDC. Aldora is top notch, I also recommend Xoc. Owner there is retired physics professor and insists on training all of his DMs and instructors in regular classes on Marine Biology of the area. New gear, offers larger tanks, well run operation.

Looking for a private or individualized trip? Consider Dive with Martin.

There are lots of great operators in the area. Also be sure to hit Cerceceria Punta Sur in downtown. The only Yucatan brewery making many styles of beer, lionfish pizza, and other gourmet delights. Owned and operated by former Aldora instructors, you will find your peeps, brews, and eats here.
dtodd
Avid Diver

Post by dtodd »

Thanks Sarinae!