Cozumel car crash

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Cozumel car crash

Post by ScubaJess »

Hi Everyone,
Two club members, Doug (orcasc205) and Laurie, were recently in a very bad car crash in Cozumel, Mexico. I'm so worried about them. I can't even imagine how scared they and their family must be. Please send well wishes. We've set up a go fund me if you can help them out financially. They are a part of our scuba family, I really hope we can dive together again soon. πŸ––πŸ˜ΏπŸ©ΊπŸš‘πŸ₯πŸ§‘β€βš•οΈπŸ‡²πŸ‡½πŸ€žπŸ€ΏπŸŒŠπŸ™πŸŸπŸ€—

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-doug-an ... e=customer
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Cozumel car crash

Post by Gdog »

Doug and Laurie really need help. They are both pretty badly injured and are in separate hospitals. Doug is in severe shape. Family is trying to get down to them, and Doug will need 3 surgeries before he can come home. Another NWDC member, Coll, is heading down to try to help manage the situation. Please donate to the GoFundMe as they really need it.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Hey all, Doug was medivaced back to Seattle! Fantastic news!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

I'm so glad they are back!

Who is up for a clean up dive this Saturday morning (4/30/22) ?
- Redondo Beach, WA
-Meet at 9am
πŸ€©πŸ€ΏπŸŒŠπŸš«πŸš―πŸ’Έ πŸ’–πŸŒβ™»οΈπŸŸ πŸ¦€ πŸ™πŸ––
Bring a tote bag for trash and maybe some donation money if you want to help our awesome buddies Doug and Laurie in their recovery from a crazy car accident! πŸ€— Hope to see y'all there!
I'll bring the donuts! β˜•πŸ©πŸ©πŸ©πŸ˜‹
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

This posted from Laurie today on the gofundme site...

Hey everyone! I haven't been able to log in until today because I couldn't access the site in Mexico, but we flew home via air ambulance yesterday, and Doug is being very well cared for at the trauma center here in Seattle. Your donations all went directly toward his medical expenses not covered by insurance. Thank you so very much. Every dollar trulyhelped, and my gratitude is both deep and wide.
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Post by orcasc205 »

Hey Everybody. I wanted to give a short update since my wife and I were the subject of this post. The accident was seven weeks ago and I am now at Harborview Medical Center still recovering. I don’t have any recollection of the accident - in fact I only remember the last two weeks. I am making slow, incremental progress each day β€” yesterday I was cleared to start eating and drinking again. It may take a while, but I should recover fully and even be able to dive again.

The outpouring of support we have received from the scuba community is truly amazing and humbling. I will do everything I can to repay that support for the rest of my life. Thank you all so much.

-Doug
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Glad you're making great progress Doug! Good to have you back online and can't wait to see you back in the water!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Doug, so glad you are on the mend. Thank you for updating us all!!
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Post by orcasc205 »

Just a quick note: Laurie and I were able to dive at Cove 2 this afternoon -- first dive back after the accident. The dive went well except for my suit leaking making me feel like a popsicle. I look forward to seeing you all at local dive sites. Thanks again for all the support.

-Doug
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Wow! Such great news Doug! So great to see this recovery!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Fantastic news Doug!!!!
Boarderguy
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Boarderguy »

Welcome back to the water! Glad you're back at it after all that happened in Mexico.
- Jacob -
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Best news ever πŸ₯³πŸ€ΏπŸ™πŸ€—πŸ’–πŸ––
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Glad you are doing well!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman