Planyourdive Replacement for current predictions

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Gvonada
Frequent Bubbler

Planyourdive Replacement for current predictions

Post by Gvonada »

I am a shift worker that works one-week-on and one-week-off. It works great for diving; I get to dive once each week off.

I've been using planyourdive.com for the last few years to plan my dives, as it used to let me select my week off and search for best currents during that time frame. Prior to finding planyourdive, I was printing out dive tables for the year, highlighting each good current, then going back and figuring out which landed on my weeks off... it was a painful process.

Planyourdive removed the search functionality, and I can no longer find the more friendly current tables that I had been using previously. I was wondering, what internet sites are people using to get current predictions for their dives? And, does anyone have the ability to search for best currents? (I know, I'm lazy...)

So far, I'm just finding the NOAA website, and I find it awkward.

Thanks for your time,

Greg
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Planyourdive Replacement for current predictions

Post by YellowEye »

Hi

Check out pnwdiving.com. It doesn't list every site but it does list the top current sensitive sites. Near the bottom of the homepage there's a section called premier site planning. It lists which of the top sites (keystone, day island etc) you can dive for a given day and at what time. Click on a specific site to see the best upcoming dates for a site all on one screen.

If there's a specific dive site or feature you want to see added or revised on pnwdiving.com, pass me the planning criteria and we can add it.

If you click show all stations it provides a way to jump to any NOAA station more easily than NOAAs site. We hope to host all the data locally with better charts plus key xtide stations at some point in the future

Hope you find it useful.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

They all seem to be awkward. Or non-functional. There's definitely a need for an elegant tide/current predictor web site, if there was a way to fund it without too much advertising baggage.

I use tide.arthroinfo.org, which is quirky and tedious but seems to be comprehensive.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

I agree! Check out www pnwdiving.com all sorts of fantastic info in one easy place. Enjoy 🖖🐙🤿 :taco:
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gvonada
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Gvonada »

Thanks everyone--those websites were just what I needed. I love the viz reports on PNWscuba!

Now to plan a dive for Monday/Tuesday...

Greg
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

I like the AyeTides app!
Jenn
warnj
Getting To Know Folks

Post by warnj »

pnwdiving.com is great. It has some limitations around planning though. You can only look 2 months in the future. So if you want to pick the best days or weekends in all of 2022 or know which days desirable site pairs are both dive-able there's still not a great way to do it. Maybe YellowEye can open source pnwdiving and the PNW diving developers can help expand the planning features?

If you are programmatically inclined and know the basics of Python, this is what I use: https://github.com/warnj/dive-planner. It has about 25 sites and lets you do advanced planning like targeting the best weekends of the year, sorting the best slacks, and doing multiple current dives back to back.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi Justin. Cool search features!

We are open to contributions on pnwdiving, let's chat soon!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I've been using this site since the day I started
http://www.dairiki.org/tides/
And this
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/tide_ ... 15#listing
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

So here's the reply from Jared when I shared your questions for plan your dive...
Screenshot_20220716-150507.png
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

I just use NOAA. Their thing is making sure they know what the tides and currents are to make sure shipping can happen.

Currents:
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaac ... ions?g=698

Tides:
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/tide_ ... l?gid=1415

Just look for the tide station closest to where you want to dive.

Alki point will give you currents for West Seattle, The Narrows north is good for Des Moines, Redondo, Three Tree, etc. The Narrows South is good for a lot of south sound dives.
Gvonada
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Gvonada »

Thanks for texting Jared! I posted on the PYD facebook page seven weeks ago, but there hasn't been a response. I appreciate the feedback from everyone--I've been able to make do with other resources.