Major Changes for Point Hudson

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Major Changes for Point Hudson

Post by Magoi »

The Port of Port Townsend will commence replacement of the Point Hudson Jetty starting the week of Sept. 11. Their plans are to completely remove the existing jetty and replace it with steel pilings and new rock. The plans I have been able to review make no mention of the WWII dolphin. The work is scheduled to be conducted from Sept. 11 to March 1 this year and next year. This will close the site to diving during construction, and it will remove much of the habitat that has made this a great dive site. Current will also probably be substantially different over the next year when there will be no jetty. I hope the new jetty will promote the same sort of habitat in the coming years.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
60south
Pelagic

Re: Major Changes for Point Hudson

Post by 60south »

Thanks.

Do you have a link to the plans?
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Here is a link to much of the info for the project.

https://cityofpt.us/development-service ... nt-project
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Thank you for sharing this Magoi. While it sucks habitat is being disrupted and removed, I hope the new structures provide new habitat for many years to come.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

The plan now includes moving and saving some of the rock for fish habitat, which I find encouraging. This is what some of us have been asking for, and it made it into the plan as an addendum:

New habitat conservation measures including a habitat feature to offset potential
impacts to rockfish and lingcod. The plan involves salvaging larger rock and placing
the salvaged rock, in 30 feet of water or greater, between the mooring buoy and the
end of the south breakwater. The permanent footprint will be approximately 55
feet wide, 49 feet long, and 15 feet tall for an area of about 2,700 sf.

jarpa_drawings45-3.png
eh.haole
Avid Diver

Post by eh.haole »

Life will find a way back I hope 🙏 Are there any other ideas for ways to add more cool naturalish habitat features during this 'opportunity'? Some more reef restoration/dive park kinda stuff that everyone can be proud of? Where will be the go-to dive site for cool encounters while this site is unavailable?
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

eh.haole wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:50 am Where will be the go-to dive site for cool encounters while this site is unavailable?
Fort Flagler. Seriously, it's awesome. The currents are even trickier, but the vis is always better and the life is great.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

A bit of an update...

The project will occur in two phases, over two years, during the fall-spring time frame.

This year they are working on the far side of the entrance to Point Hudson Marina, not in the usual diving area (see picture). I stopped by and chatted with a foreman for a few minutes...
  • This season, for the time being, divers should still be able to dive the normal jetty area, with caution. Don't go around the corner towards the marina.
  • Currently work is 6 days a week, Mon-Sat, and they're working hard while the weather is good. They will probably go to a weekday schedule (Mon-Fri) sometime soon.
  • They're pulling out the old pilings on the NE side right now. I have no idea what that will do to the vis.
  • In the evenings, after about 5pm, they swing the barge about 90 degrees out to deeper water to avoid low tides and disturbing the eel grass. That shouldn't affect the diving, but FYI.
  • They confirmed that some of the rock will be saved to make a fish nursery of sorts between the dolphin and the new jetty. They aren't yet doing that, but I'd look to be sure before splashing.
point hudson.png
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

The far breakwater at Point Hudson has been (almost entirely) removed, the project appears to be ahead of schedule. Downwind, the smell of creosote is strong.

The normal jetty dive site is still intact and, theoretically, diveable, but I wouldn't do it on a weekday while operations are on going. Maybe in the evening. They were working on Saturdays while the weather is good; not sure if that's still a thing. Sundays, no work.

Note that when operations quit for the day, they park the crane and barge almost directly over the wreck of the barge.

Edit: I think I might like to dive there on a Sunday just to see what changes have taken place. Anybody game?

point hudson 10-04.jpg
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

We took a little exploratory dive at Pt Hudson today, just checking out the situation.

The 'fish nursery' is already there, or at least they've started on it. This is the planned strip of rocks between the dolphin and the old jetty. By the look of it, they've probably finished or nearly so.

It's going to be awesome! There's tons of large rocks going down to about 65'. Think of it like a massive octopus and wolf eel condominium complex.

Already there are rockfish and sea stars, and millions of little baby barnacles. A juvi ling cod. Lots of new neighbors!

It would be even more awesome if they continued the rock pile into deeper water, but even as-is I think we're going to end up with a great dive site.
:supz:

Afterthought: It would be very cool if we could document how fast life colonizes the rocks, and what critters we see as things evolve. Anybody want to help?
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

I am willing to help. I will also contact some staff that I know at the Seattle Aquarium, they have done rockfish counts here for several years.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Magoi wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:01 pm I am willing to help. I will also contact some staff that I know at the Seattle Aquarium, they have done rockfish counts here for several years.
Thanks! I would like to learn how too.

g
Referencing post: https://nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28753
HannibalHk
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by HannibalHk »

This is really useful. The article is very detailed.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Update: they are no longer working on Saturdays.
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

On my way out of the water back in Jan 2021, I stopped to talk with one of the local Port Commissioners who happens to be a diver. Attached is an email I sent regarding the replacement.

Point is, I'm not sure if this helped but I don't think it hurt.

I dove the new reef for the first time early this morning, BTW Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. My impression is that it's an awesome improvement. The new reef felt much closer to the dolphin than I expected. It was weird to see a dive site that you know like the back of your hand, suddenly transformed into something totally different. Obviously it'll take time for critters to inhabit the reef but for now there is a large rockfish population congregating near the deep end. It's going to be fun watching the transformation.

Replacement of the West or South Jetty (depending on your perspective) starts in Sept. 2023. Maybe we can convince them to add some of those boulders to the end of the new reef and dogleg it left into deeper water. :uh:

-Mark
Attachments
HudsonJettyReplacement.png
HudsonJettyReplacement.png (41.5 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Hi Mark, thanks for posting that letter.
PeninsulaDiver wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:13 pm My impression is that it's an awesome improvement. ... It was weird to see a dive site that you know like the back of your hand, suddenly transformed into something totally different.
I completely agree.

Several of us attended the planning meetings for the new jetty -- I'm pretty sure Dusty was there too -- urging them to make some kind of alternate rock reef for divers and fish. I think the results are outstanding. On top of that, the newer construction plans appear to call for back-filling or buttressing the metal pilings with rocks, which seems to be a departure from the original plan of having a solid metal wall. I'm still puzzled about what the final construction will look like, but, if that rock filling is correct, we may end up with an even better site in the long run.

Betsy C. (PTMSC) and I were recently discussing the new reef, and she proposed the same thing that was on my mind: Could we ask to have the new 'Rock Nursery Reef' extended into deeper water? You mention the same thing. We're already seeing how different species like different depths; seems like a win-win for fish, divers, and everyone. I know the GPOs would love it. Maybe if we get PTMSC, WSA, WDFW?, and other stakeholders to propose dumping some more rocks, we might get our wish.

I'm going to keep videoing the reef periodically just to document the changes, and encourage others to do likewise. Maybe the videos could be used to promote additions.

Cheers!

glenn
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

UPDATE!

Things are ahead of schedule. Also -- and this is a happy thing, maybe -- they are filling the area between the metal pilings with rocks.

I'm unsure if they're going to put in sheet metal outside of the pilings, which was in the original plan, but it doesn't look like it. If they use the same construction on the south jetty, this is great news! Zillions of rocks and hidey-holes for critters.
jetty2.png
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

That'd be fantastic. Thanks for the update!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

A still shot from my video of the new reef made it to the front page of the Port Townsend Leader newspaper. Yee! Also heard that it was shown in DC to some kind of committee. More details needed!

Plans are afoot for a critter relocation day (or days), likely at the end of July next summer. We have a permit!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Congratulations 🥂🥳🐟🐟🐟🐟 that's so cool 🖖📰🗞️
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Great to hear Glenn. Thanks for all your efforts here! Can't wait to dive it again when complete.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Wow
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Most of the north jetty work has been completed for the season.

Point Hudson reopens early with new jetty