San Juan Boat Access Snorkelling

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Talisker
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

San Juan Boat Access Snorkelling

Post by Talisker »

I am planning to sail down to Anacortes from Vancouver next week to visit a customer. (Seemed like a good opportunity to avoid driving and take advantage of this late summer we are having)

Was hoping to stop in the San Juan’s on the way home to do some free diving and snorkelling. Most of what I found online pertained to dive sites with shore access. As we will be on a boat with a dinghy, does anyone have suggestions for where to dive ?
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Re: San Juan Boat Access Snorkelling

Post by Magoi »

There is a website called Plan Your Dive (https://www.planyourdive.com) That has a map showing dive sites. Many sites have a description, but the site is oriented toward scuba. The shore diving sites may be better for snorkeling.

Hope you can find something.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I used to do a lot a snorkeling from my sailboat because I couldn't get my tanks filled. There are some interesting things to see if you anchor in Ewing Cove on the NE corner of Sucia Island. It's been a long time though.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi!
Emerald diving has the best write ups on San Juan dives I've seen.

https://www.emeralddiving.com/local_sites_sj.html

Many of these are quite advanced with lots of potential for current though. Unfortunately the brightest colors in the San Juans start at 50' at most sites.

There's kelp at many sites shallower. I did see some proliferating and strawberry anemones at long island wall today that were in 35' today if that's in your skill level.

I've seen some nice green anemones quite shallow at sares head

The best snorkel spots in the state are likely salt Creek or sekiu but those are probably out of your way.

Have fun! Viz was 30+ in the south San Juans today!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!