Astoria SCUBA

General banter about diving and why we love it.
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Astoria SCUBA

Post by BUZO71 »

Has anyone been here yet? I just happened to have found it while surfing the web and was wondering....
Fortes fortuna iuvat
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Astoria SCUBA

Post by spatman »

BUZO71 wrote:Has anyone been here yet? I just happened to have found it while surfing the web and was wondering....
i was wondering about that myself. i'm curious to know what you find out.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

BUZO71 wrote:Has anyone been here yet? I just happened to have found it while surfing the web and was wondering....

yes it is located on pier 39 on the east end of town .
Floyd has a Compressor ( used tobe at Seaside Scuba before he had to close )

Floyd fills your tank on the avarage 500 psi lower then what they are rated for. you have to leave them over night or at least for most of the day the dive shop is a side deal for Floyd

not a lot of gear in stock mostly old used wet suits and a couple oldder BCDs
he only charges $5.00 for a fill though

only shop out here now a days is Garibldi
I stoped in last weekend and was talking to Dick the owner if things dont pick up for him this year he is going to retire some time next year

So when diving the coast viset Dick at his shop and get you tanks filled and maybe pick up a dive gear or two you are needing his prices are not that bad
and he knows all about the Oregon Dive sites

Sparky

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

Its a little depressing that we don't really have any dive shops on the coast... In fact, we have more dive shops in the valley than the coast..... what's up with that????
Fortes fortuna iuvat
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

florence and north bend have dive shops
air can be had in newport, so they say
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
fholcom
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by fholcom »

Thanks Sparky in 2007..... :)

Astoria Scuba has been open 8 years primarily as a dive locker, servicing the USCG, Navy, Army and other Special Operations training and Law Enforcement agencies. In 2008, Astoria Scuba remodeled the store and brought in Oceanic, Zeagle, Tusa and other major manufactures. AS is a NAUI Pro-Platinum Facility, the only one of 4 NAUI facilities in Oregon and one of only 2 Pro-Platnum facilities.

Astoria Scuba has a MAKO BAM 06 compressor in which the Air is tested 4 times a year to NAVSEA and USCG requirements.

NAUI Instructors, Floyd Holcom and Jim Larsen are the in-house instructors with both DAN Instructor Certified to teach 9 DAN courses, See www.dan.org for more details.

Nate Holcom is the Shop Technician and is the youngest OCEANIC technician in the industry.

See us at www.astoriascuba.com and come visit, its located at Pier 39-Astoria with Rogue Public Ale House and Coffee Girl, popular sites.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

I've been there!! Definitey worth stopping in for a look and a chat with Floyd while you're there. The coffee at Coffee Girl is some of the best on the North Coast, and of course, Rogue Public Ale House has great food and drinks.

I haven't had Floyd fill my tanks, but I'll put money on him topping them off and you won't have to leave them all day. (Though the pace of life is slower on the North Coast...so don't expect a 10 minute hot fill either...)

As for the gear, they've got good inventory. While waiting for Floyd to do some other work (He owns the Pier...so he's got a bunch on his plate) I perused the shop and found plenty to keep my attention. I don't remember the "old wetsuits"...so perhaps there was a run on them at some point???

Not alot of diving on the North Coast until you get down a bit further, so the bread and butter of Astoria Scuba really is the military, but Floyd will humor us non-military, just for fun divers too.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

I got my new USIA drysuit that I love through Floyd at Astoria Scuba. Floyd is a good egg. I should disclose that I am a dive master candidate to Jim Larson. Jim finished Floyd’s NAUI instructor training that Floyd had started with another instructor and that is where I met Floyd. Jim is also now one of Astoria Scuba’s instructors. I have been to the shop twice and I was impressed with the selection for a small shop. Floyd over the last two years has been getting much more serious about his little dive shop and it shows. If you find yourself on the North Oregon coast and the conditions are good but you forgot or broke something I’ll bet Floyd has it. However he seems to be working on growing his client base in his semi-remote location by training new divers. I didn’t want to be thought of as a sock puppet but I did want to say what I know about Floyd and his shop. Oh and Floyd welcome to NWDC it is about time I have only been wearing the shirt almost every time I see you.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Having grown up in the area and certified at the original Astoria Scuba many years ago, I'm glad to see that they're doing well.

Is it possible to get a charter out of Astoria/Warrenton/Hammond/Ilwaco?

Also, get out there and start locating some of those wrecks. :) "Drexel Victory" should be a medium tech dive. The 'Camden' is liable to be a much more serious dive. Plus all the other small boats out there. Get a few wrecks in the 0-120' and I imagine you could fill a boat with folks who want visit those then swing by the south Jetty for some spearfishing. Sounds like a reason to go visit the folks. :D
Purveyor of crack ;)
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

That's what I thought as well...but in talking to Floyd...he said there is really NO diving in the area, as the visibility is 2'-3' on a good day.

If anyone finds wrecks or dives in the area though....I'd love to bring divers down to play. En masse...
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

sparky wrote:

Floyd fills your tank on the avarage 500 psi lower then what they are rated for. you have to leave them over night or at least for most of the day the dive shop is a side deal for Floyd

I stoped in last weekend and was talking to Dick the owner if things dont pick up for him this year he is going to retire some time next year

So when diving the coast viset Dick at his shop and get you tanks filled and maybe pick up a dive gear or two you are needing his prices are not that bad

Sparky

Sparky
Hello stranger! coming to the club dive?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

BASSMAN wrote:
sparky wrote:

Sparky

Sparky
lol, dude, he posted that 2 years ago.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

spatman wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:
sparky wrote:

Sparky

Sparky
lol, dude, he posted that 2 years ago.
In a week it will have been three years, actually! Keith, you need to be more up-to-date, man!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
umtirigane
Just Settling In

Post by umtirigane »

I can definitely vouch for the 2-3' vis. That's on a good day.
I wouldn't dive around Astoria/Hammond/Ilwaco for fun, personally...
greta
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I stopped in and said hi to Floyd a few days ago when out on the coast. He has a nice shop there. Unfortunately, I was not there to dive and didn't need to purchase anything but really encourage anyone who is in the area to stop in.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Claude and I will try to stop by in the next few days when we're camping out there.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
umtirigane
Just Settling In

Post by umtirigane »

nwscubamom wrote:Claude and I will try to stop by in the next few days when we're camping out there.

- Janna :)
you coming out for the great columbia crossing this coming sunday?
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Nope, we were just there camping and geocaching and bike riding. Avoided the whole bridge race thing today!
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
waterdog
Frequent Bubbler

Post by waterdog »

fholcom wrote:See us at http://www.astoriascuba.com and come visit, its located at Pier 39-Astoria with Rogue Public Ale House and Coffee Girl, popular sites.
I can attest to the Coffee Girl! Tasty!

Floyd, how was the trip to the RP? Sorry I missed you!

Jaime