GI Bill to pay for instructor rating

General banter about diving and why we love it.
BUZO71
Aquaphile

GI Bill to pay for instructor rating

Post by BUZO71 »

Has anyone heard of a dive shop that has had the VA approve its instructor course for the GI Bill? I'm interested in using my GI Bill to do just that... any help would be appreciated
Fortes fortuna iuvat
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

sounds pretty unlikely. maybe something like divers institute would qualify?
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

There was a period of time that you could use VA Benefits to pay (reimburse) for the Instructor Examination ($440). I just went on the Padi Members site and it looks like you had to do the IE before 1/2004.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dmitchell wrote:There was a period of time that you could use VA Benefits to pay (reimburse) for the Instructor Examination ($440). I just went on the Padi Members site and it looks like you had to do the IE before 1/2004.

Dave
Hmmm ... yet another example of our current administration showing support for our troops by cutting their benefits ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I think that may have more to do with PADI not wanting to deal with the paperwork involved than with the VA cutting the benefit.

When my wife was getting her stuff ready to go back to school, there were several options she looked into where the GI bill would have covered the training, but the school didn't want to deal with the hassle of the paperwork.

Jake
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Might be for the best if the VA sponsored career training where you can actually have a positive cash flow too...
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Nwbrewer wrote:I think that may have more to do with PADI not wanting to deal with the paperwork involved than with the VA cutting the benefit.

Jake
PADI was all for it, it encourages more instructors which boosts their bottom line. Besides since it was a reimbursment, all PADI was issuing was the reciept. The instructor was required to work with the VA for the money.
Dave Mitchell
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

go talk with your branch version of NAVY college, they should be able to help. Not to start a political debate, but a lot of the loss of benifits that my wife has seen has been a result of the previous administration and congress. We've actually seen an increase over the past 4 years, higher seperation pay is one example.
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

copy that, thanks for all the replies..... Yeah, I'd like to use some of the remaining monies for my diving but doesn't sound like it will work for that... :angryfire:
Fortes fortuna iuvat
kwbyron
Aquaphile

another thought

Post by kwbyron »

As I understand it...your GI bill just cuts you a monthly check as long as your enrolled in acceptable program. Another ID would be to enrol in a Associates degree program for buisness managment at the cheepist school you can find. You'll have more left over for "living expenses" and "education cost" and if your plan is to work/run a dive shop, I think scuba training would fall into this catagory.
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Try calling the Ft Lewis dive shop @ 253-967-3405. They might be able to help.
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!