I guess I won't be taking my O/W class out this weekend

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

I guess I won't be taking my O/W class out this weekend

Post by Dmitchell »

I had scheduled my Openwater class this weekend but mother nature seems to have other plans.

.SAT...N WIND 30 KT. SEAS 6 FT HIGHS AROUND 28.
.SUN...N GALE TO 40 KT. SEAS 7 FT. HEAVY FREEZING SPRAY HIGHS AROUND 19 #-o .

It's a little colder than my minimum 36-38 that I like to have for my classes. Can you say serious Ice Cream Headache!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Aquaphile

Nnnyyeeaaa....

Post by kjc »

Just have plenty of hot soup ready for afterwards!
texdiveguy
Just Settling In

Re: I guess I won't be taking my O/W class out this weekend

Post by texdiveguy »

Dmitchell wrote:I had scheduled my Openwater class this weekend but mother nature seems to have other plans.

It's a little colder than my minimum 36-38 that I like to have for my classes. Can you say serious Ice Cream Headache!

Dave
Dave....did you cancel because of the low temps/wind or cause of the seas being a bit high also...?
texdiveguy
Just Settling In

Re: I guess I won't be taking my O/W class out this weekend

Post by texdiveguy »

texdiveguy wrote:
Dmitchell wrote:I had scheduled my Openwater class this weekend but mother nature seems to have other plans.

Dave
Dave....did you cancel because of the low temps/wind or cause of the seas being a bit high also...? For a southern boy used to high gulf seas---not for O/W classes of course....the temps and wind seem biting. :)
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

A bit of both, I won't take students out less than 36 degrees. I've done it many times and it's miserable and IMO dangerous. I've become more conservative with students as I get older. The water might be in the mid 30's but usually there is no place to hide from the cold on a surface interval. So, by the second dive everyone is pretty if not really cold. Takes the fun out of diving and ruins the experience for new divers.

The wind chill tomorrow will be somewhere between 8 and 1 degrees. On Sunday it'll be around -8 F. I may still go on Sunday if I can find a sheltered cove but not with students.

The thing about the NW is that the waves aren't like the gulf. They don't roll, they stack together and pound you. So 3'-4' is miserable, 6'-7' is beyond dangerous. Add freezing spray and you have real problems.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Just Settling In

Post by texdiveguy »

Dmitchell wrote:A bit of both, I won't take students out less than 36 degrees. I've done it many times and it's miserable and IMO dangerous. I've become more conservative with students as I get older. The water might be in the mid 30's but usually there is no place to hide from the cold on a surface interval. So, by the second dive everyone is pretty if not really cold. Takes the fun out of diving and ruins the experience for new divers.

The wind chill tomorrow will be somewhere between 8 and 1 degrees. On Sunday it'll be around -8 F. I may still go on Sunday if I can find a sheltered cove but not with students.

The thing about the NW is that the waves aren't like the gulf. They don't roll, they stack together and pound you. So 3'-4' is miserable, 6'-7' is beyond dangerous. Add freezing spray and you have real problems.

Dave
Good reasons--smart move!!!

Now how large are your O/W classes throught the year typically in AK.....we in the south here seem to run classes year round with those in the winter usually small.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

My OW classes are always small 6-8 Rarely larger unless a couple of them are referring out. More than 6 in the openwater at once is nuts. Even with a DM or 2 it's insane trying to keep track of everyone.

Funny thing is that my January class is always full. I decided that I'm not doing a January class this year since last years didn't finish till Late March. I didn't want to do this class but I h ad the demand. Hopefully next weekend will be warmer.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Good for you!

I certified in Valdez with +27 air temp and snow showers moving through area. Seas weren't the problem. But, in a wet suit...can you say beyond cold?

Thankfully, I overcame or I wouldn't be enjoying diving now. But, can't say it was safe and BRRRRRRRR
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

I dove on Saturday morning admist gale force winds and a blizzard in my WETSUIT! (My drysuit is in the shop.) Hardcore baby! \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
texdiveguy
Just Settling In

Post by texdiveguy »

Seth T. wrote:I dove on Saturday morning admist gale force winds and a blizzard in my WETSUIT! (My drysuit is in the shop.) Hardcore baby! \:D/
Way to go!!!! I have been doing the same here in Texas the past few weeks....waiting on a dry suit part so have been in the wet suit....we even did one day last weekend in 38f temps and sleet and snow flurries--big time for us!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

When it is this bad and I just need to get wet it's Pool Time. Spent a nice relaxing couple of hours in the pool last weekend practicing skills, trim and weight balance. And the vis was great. :la:

I guess the older I get the less I like the 3 1/2 hr drive to dive when it is in the 40's or lower and rain/snow.
Charles
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

It's currently 3 degrees outside and the winds are gusting to 60mph! Making for somewhere around -25 wind chill.

It's not cold it's freaking cold. Good news is that it should be 30 on Saturday! Still a little cold for my new guys.

Chuck, I HATE the pool! If I never had to do another pool dive as long as I live I would be happy!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Just Settling In

Post by texdiveguy »

Dmitchell wrote:It's currently 3 degrees outside and the winds are gusting to 60mph! Making for somewhere around -25 wind chill.

It's not cold it's freaking cold. Good news is that it should be 30 on Saturday! Still a little cold for my new guys.

Chuck, I HATE the pool! If I never had to do another pool dive as long as I live I would be happy!

Dave
Dave....that is crazy cold!

I hate diving in pools with a passion also.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Dmitchell wrote:It's currently 3 degrees outside and the winds are gusting to 60mph! Making for somewhere around -25 wind chill.

Dave
Dave, I know what you mean since I was a working DM for 3 years. But I did not want to drive up and I do have my new 30 pony rigged up and wanted to get all the trim and weight set just perfect. Nothing like a pool with no wind or current to just hang and see if the trim and balance is just right.

I lived in AK several years and there would be no way I would dive in that weather. You divers up there are so far above us PNW divers in being hard core. My hat is off to you guys. :salute: :salute:

Burrrrrrrrr, I just remembered my last ow I did as a DM, January, 36 degrees, snow on the ground, students slow as pitch and standing in the water for 6 hours.
Charles
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Dave
So Dave, does ANYONE whatsoever dive a wetsuit up in your neck of the woods? [-X
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

There are a couple guys who will venture out in late winter for a quick 20 minute hope of finding a king crab for dinner but it's dive and sprint back to the car and get home. These are guys I trained to dive in a drysuit but then picked up wetsuits at garage sales. They only dive a couple times a year at most.

Otherwise, in Juneau no. I keep a couple 3mm in stock for folks that are traveling or for the waterskiers in the summer otherwise in all my years owning the shop, I've never sold a wetsuit for a local diver. I know in Ketchikan and Sitka where the water is warmer, they do use wetsuits.

With the way that 7mm semi-drys are getting better and better, I've considered getting some for rentals for tourist to use in the summer but have never got around to it. Our water will be around 45 in the summer so it's doable but it's still way better in the drysuit.

As far as the class goes - Got them out for 1 dive each on Sat and Sunday. Saturday was cool probably 35 at noon Sunday was a little warmer. They did real well 36 minutes on Sat and 40 on Sunday all of them are on HP80's not bad 40' max both days. Hopefully the weather will hold and they can finish up this weekend!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

Not only does it have to be miserable for you but for students who are going to experience diving for the first time!

I did my first dives in 35ish degree weather, with an instructor who had never dove here before and was totally new to the area. Right before we got into the water, we got thunder and lightening.

It was not a pleasant day, still had a pretty good time freezing my butt off. I was thanking god that I went and spent the extra 100 bucks and rented a dry suit for the class lol. :)

oh and I had to carry my gear up hill both ways! Okay that's not true but you get the point lol. ;)
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

We went out last weekend it was about 35 or so and no real wind. The site was very calm.

Did one dive on Sat and one on Sunday. The students were very happy and everyone was fine through the dives. Dives were 36 and 41 minutes less than 40'. Nobody was real cold and they aren't feeling pushed so they are all doing fine.

This group is one of the better groups I've had in awhile It's nice to look back and see 4 divers all horizontal and happy!

Will hopefully finish them up this weekend.

Dave
Dave Mitchell