Wrecks near Seattle, are there barges at Golden Gardens

General banter about diving and why we love it.
j3rmzh
Just Settling In

Wrecks near Seattle, are there barges at Golden Gardens

Post by j3rmzh »

I am fairly new to the world of diving, interested in tec diving, mainly to see wrecks and I am trying to find out about wrecks out here near the Seattle area you folks know of any good spots out here?

I heard someone talking about some barges located near golden gardens? Is this true? I couldn't find any info about it on the web but perhaps my google-fu is failing me?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I've heard about those barges here and there, but nobody I know has dived them. There's more than a few cool wrecks around these parts, but it seems like most of them are at technical depths, and/ or super-secret locations. One that is NOT deep, or particularly secret, is the PBM-5 Mariner in Lake Washington- that one, and a bunch of other cool local wrecks are on the DCS films website:

http://www.dcsfilms.com/Site%204/DCS%20Website.html

Plus, there's always the Wrecks up in Canada sunk as artificial reefs!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I am sure rjack will give you all the info you want on these "wrecks".
Just to the South of the GG park, about 2 miles I think, are three "wrecks" They are called The Vertical Barge, The Deep Barge, and the Omar (a tug). They can all be easily done on one dive if you use a scooter. Most people just do one per dive. The Omar sits next to a big Glacial erratic rock worth checking out.
Usually there is a large buoy that sits almost above the Omar. Working barges tie off to it some times.
I don't think penetrating these wrecks would be very entertaining.
The top of the vert barge is 35' and the bottom about 70.
The top of the deep barge is about 95' and the bottom about 110'
The omar is about 75'
Dont forget about the 4 mile wrecks around sand point. There are two barges out there and if you have 40' vis you can see both of them at the same time. They are about 70 - 90' deep. You can swim both barges in one dive.
Lots of downrigger balls can be found on these wrecks. Also, look for a cement diver near the Vertical barge, I think there is an anemone on its :bootyshake:
gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

Post by gomi_otaku »

North of Golden Gardens is also the wreck of one of the "mosquito fleet" ferries. It has been dove a couple times recently by members of my dive club with kayaks.
gomi_
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

gomi_otaku wrote:North of Golden Gardens is also the wreck of one of the "mosquito fleet" ferries. It has been dove a couple times recently by members of my dive club with kayaks.
gomi_
Do you know the specific location or have the GPS coordinates? The Mosquito Fleet has always fascinated me and I'd love to dive it....even if it's only a rubble field.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

oh oh can i come john?
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

John Rawlings wrote: Do you know the specific location or have the GPS coordinates? The Mosquito Fleet has always fascinated me and I'd love to dive it....even if it's only a rubble field.
- John
Hi John,

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Dauntless, which sank on
December 30, 1923. The well known steamer broke loose from her moorings at Appletree Cove during a storm and drifted across the Sound to pile up on the beach near Meadow Point, a total loss.

There are quite a few wrecks in puget sound that are part of the old Mosquito Fleet. Often there isn't much left but a big boiler and some of the propulsion machinery.
Last edited by boydski on Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Rob Holman made this nifty diagram a couple years ago. This isn't the most recent version but it has the info you need. To penetrate the barges you would need to be "no mount" the access holes are really really small. Penetration would be very, very risky and they are basically giant shoe boxes anyway. The cabin on the Omar collapsed years ago.

These are somewhat protected from S-SE winds. But fairly close to a major recreational boat travel lane between points south and the Ballard locks. They are divable during exchanges although its marginal, esp. on the vertical barge. Jeff's post gives the depths. Watch the swing on your anchor relative to any barges which may be present at the bouy.

kjc
Aquaphile

Kayak Dives

Post by kjc »

The Omar and the Barges can be done as shore dives, ("can" being loosly interpreted...) once you get to the near-by shore by kayak.

The Dauntless is basically a live kayak dive.

The Omar and the barges are better done as live kayak dives because they are about 200 yards from shore.

The best launch point for kayaking to dive the Omar and the Barges is from the Magnolia beach directly across the water way from Ray's Boathouse. About 1 mile paddle. There is a big Seattle Sand and Gravel Barge Buoy marking the spot to the big rock near the Omar.

Paddle from the launch point to the near by beach, and then gear up to dive. Either do a shore dive, or paddle out to the buoy and do a live kayak dive. Its easy!

The best launch point for the Dauntless is from the northern beach head from Golden Gardens. We did it from the boat ramp at Golden Gardens, and paddled the extra distance across the beach front to where we could have put in at.

About 1 1/2 mile paddle from the boat launch, about 1/2 mile from the northern end of Golden Gardens.

Get a kayak cart to haul your kayak and gear across the sand. Its easy!

Locate the wreck of the Dauntless with your depth sounder and GPS and mark it with a throw shot and a surface marker, and then go to the near by shore (maybe 200 yards) and gear up to dive. Stow all of your paddle gear and gear up to dive. Paddle out to the surface marker and kayak dive it, and tow your kayak with you on a reel like its just any other surface marker. Its about 50 fsw at mean high tide. Its moderately easy - challenging; easy without wind - challenging with it!

When we last did the Dauntless, the Ahab kayaker assuming responsibility in our group paddled us into the rocks along the shoreline under the railroad tracks. There is a beach head near by that would have been easier to go to, but he didn't have his glasses on so he couldn't see it. We got a little beat up in the shallow surf against the rocks as we geared up. Damn Ahab!

Its best to mark the dive with a surface marker first, and then go to the nearest near by beach and then gear up to dive. Then you can paddle back out to your marker and dive it from there.

Between the two sites, the Dauntless and the Omar/Barges, I'd have to say the Omar/Barges is easier them the Dauntless to do as a kayak dive because of the prevailing surface wind-current conditions are easier on the Omar. The Dauntless is pretty exposed! Once you are down on the wreck, it doesn't matter much because your kayak will weathervane in the wind and/or the surface current and its not that big of a deal. The challenge is to guess-t-mate the amount of distance you will travel on the surface in wind and in current to gear up in the water, and then drop down near your surface marker to get to the wreck.

Ha ha...

The Omar/Barges is an anytime kayak dive. The Dauntless is a no wind kayak dive.

4 Mile Rock Barges as a kayak dive is a whole different story....

But its the best dive of all 3!
j3rmzh
Just Settling In

THANKS!

Post by j3rmzh »

Wow, thank you all so much!

I appreciate the tips on the Kayaks, I actually have access to a boat that is already geared up with a depth finder AND GPS, so we will probably make a go at them that way.

If anyone wants to tag along, hit me up with a PM and maybe we could set something up ...
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I know this is a bit late, but I've got info on my dive site maps and directions page on the website for this one....

http://www.pnwscuba.com/directions.htm#shilshole

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I know this is late too, but I just re-read this post and don't want someone to read some of the information here thinking it's a good shore dive.

Disclaimer: IN MY OWN OPINION...

I would not recommend diving the GG Barges from shore. They are WAY out there (much further than it sounds or looks), and should you have any kind of emergency or problem, you've got a LONG COLD swim back to shore before you can even GET help. Moreover, they're in an area of high boat traffic and even on slack tide can have significant surface currents (which you're stuck in on your way out there - you might miss the whole site all together because you can't swim against the surface currents strong enough).

If you were to get out there and have the weather kick-up a bit, you're in a washing machine all the way back to shore too... ALL the way back (i.e. LONG WAY, worth saying again). If you were to have a flooded suit, you're looking a serious hypothermia before you, or even your non-flooded buddy, could reach shore.

Finally, once you get out there, there is a good chance that you won't be able to find the barges without a depth sounder. They're in the general area of the big buoy (which is huge and would hurt you if it hit you while you were preparing to descend or ascending on it), but even on a boat with someone who knows exactly where they are, with GPS coordinates, and a depth sounder, we've had to make several passes to find them.

Please enjoy this wonderful site from a boat with someone who's been there before. If you choose to dive it from shore, best of luck.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
j3rmzh
Just Settling In

question

Post by j3rmzh »

ok, so anyone thats been there want to give a run at these things?

We have a boat...

PM me if your interested.
boydski
Submariner

Re: question

Post by boydski »

j3rmzh wrote:ok, so anyone thats been there want to give a run at these things?

We have a boat... .
We dove the Dauntless and the Omar the previous weekend, along with another wreck we found in the area. Launched at the Eddie Vine ramp in Shilshole and had three very pleasant dives. Watch the weather reports and the boat traffic in the area and have a great dive!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You'd be seriously risking your life to try these from shore!

Not only would it be pretty hard to find them without a depth sounder, they just aren't worth that much exhausting effort (and risk). Even with a boat standing guard and alpha and dive flags up many yachts just cruise right on by/over the site. They wouldn't even flinch when your little neoprene coated head hit their hull or prop.

They are potentially doable with a scooter but again, what's the point of taking on extremely elevated artificial risk when even the smallest kayak or inflatable can get you there just a few minutes from Shishole.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:You'd be seriously risking your life to try these from shore!

Not only would it be pretty hard to find them without a depth sounder, they just aren't worth that much exhausting effort (and risk). Even with a boat standing guard and alpha and dive flags up many yachts just cruise right on by/over the site. They wouldn't even flinch when your little neoprene coated head hit their hull or prop.

They are potentially doable with a scooter but again, what's the point of taking on extremely elevated artificial risk when even the smallest kayak or inflatable can get you there just a few minutes from Shishole.
Yup. It's worth saying again. This is NOT a shore dive, and personally I would not consider it a safe kayak dive either. This should be done from a boat.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I haven't done them with a kayak although its plausible. You'd want a couple of buddies on kayaks too, to increase your overall visibility - make those safety orange kayaks! Be sure to fly a prominent dive flag so boaters don't actually come by and try to figure out why there's an untended kayak sitting there.

Still better in a proper boat, lots of vessel traffic around here. It need not be a live boat but be cautious and be sure you return to the upline with plenty of gas.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

This actually would make a great kayak dive if you could launch a little closer than the boat launch. Even launching at the boat launch this would be a good dive for kayaking. If I were doing it I would tow the kayaks with me durring the dive or tie them off on the wreck.