Hunting Octo's? Is this for real?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
j3rmzh
Just Settling In

Hunting Octo's? Is this for real?

Post by j3rmzh »

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/grd/526584417.html

Is this kosher? although awhile back I did hear that some of the octo's at Mukilteo have gone missing ... maybe this is why :(
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Hunting Octo's? Is this for real?

Post by spatman »

j3rmzh wrote:http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/grd/526584417.html

Is this kosher? although awhile back I did hear that some of the octo's at Mukilteo have gone missing ... maybe this is why :(
i was just about to post the same question!

he's also got these posts up as well, one offering bottom fish and the other seaweed:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/grd/526610385.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/grd/526602660.html
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Some one should drop a dime to the fish and and game. Unless there is a season for octo's...
Who run barter town?
JDR
Avid Diver

Post by JDR »

j3rmzh wrote:http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/grd/526584417.html

Daily limit of 1, except in Hood Canal.........
I hate hearing of any diver who takes octopus.
:angryfire:
A few years ago a rule change was submitted to WDFW to close the harvest, it had support within the dive community but not with the public. It failed to gain any traction and it was not accepted.

It is NOT LEGAL to sell or barter any recreationally caught fish or shellfish. (WDFW statewide General rules).

So no it is not Kosher for this individual to make this offer unless he has a commercial permit to do so.
BACK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER - LET'S GO DIVING!
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

well we could allways make a offer to meet him and then ******the ******out of the son of a ****** then take his ******* and break off his other****** and finally ***** his own***** and put it up his@@@@!!!!!! if this dude is real he should be easy to locate.

edited once to be nice :rr:
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I'm with howard, we should bust his ars. lets meet him and beat him.

I am into spearfishing though, although i have never actually done it, it sounds delicious, mmmmmm ling cod.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

All the CL posts have been deleted. Shall we submit a "no octos" rulemaking proposal as a club next WDFW go-round?
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

wdfw????
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I wonder if this is the same fellow who was harvesting octos at DIW and Sunrise a couple years back ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Burntchef wrote:wdfw????
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

its also illegal to use chemical irritants to 'hunt' octos, and very difficult to extract an octo from its den that doesn't want to come with you... most likely this guy is doing something illegal to catch them...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:check out someone's response:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/grd/526718439.html
LOL that is perfect.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

JDR wrote:Daily limit of 1, except in Hood Canal.........
I hate hearing of any diver who takes octopus.
While it is legal, it irks me to no end that divers will do this at popular dive sites. I witnessed a guy harvesting a GPO from Redondo a few years ago. At first, I didn't know what the heck the guy was trying to do. I watched for a minute, puzzled, and then moved on. After the dive, I pieced it altogether and realized what had happened. By then, it was too late to do anything about it. However, I do know exactly who the guy was as his last name was so very clearly marked on his light...have had run-in's with him before...not a nice guy nor a very bright one. I vowed that if I ever saw him doing it again, I would do everything I could to stop him.

FWIW, I have seen few GPO taking up residence at Redondo since that time. You used to always be able to find occupied dens under all three boats directly out from the Highline pier. No mas--those days are over.
Jenn
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I'm not into taking octopus either and if I know of someone who would do it, I make sure I don't tell them where I know there are octopus. However, it's not illegal and provided that they are actually eating it so be it.

I think bear hunting is wrong as well, but I have friends and a brother who do it.

I have no problem with hunting and fishing if you are going to use what you kill. I mean come on, I work for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. The problem I have is with waste and hunting purely for trophies.

I fish all summer long, but only take what we are really will eat over the winter.

The guy writing these adds is either ignorant and doesn't know the law or he's just trying to jerk someone's chain.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I have two issues with it ...

- Taking octopus from popular dive sites means they're not going to be there for the people going down to see them. If you want to hunt, please don't do it at the local dive sites. Yeah, I know octopus move around and eventually another one will come into the area ... but I don't think it's coincidence that you rarely see one at dive sites where they were almost always present just three or four years ago.

- I don't think the people taking them are doing so for personal consumption.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I agree that they're not being taken for personal consumption - too much of a market for it in places like the I.D.

If they're following the law, I guess I don't have anything more than a moral problem with it (i.e. I like visiting the octos and wish not for them to be killed). If they're violating the law, I'd go for the throat.

I do enjoy spearfishing for lingcod, but I eat what I take and am very selective in which fish I choose to do my little part toward sustainability.

Richard - do you think another rally toward banning octopus harvest could be effective? I'd get behind it! Perhaps WSA could too - and they could make an argument regarding tourism dollars of people wanting to come see the GPOs.

A lesson I've learned: DO NOT POST LOCATIONS OF OCTOPUS IN PUBLIC FORUMS!!! Anyone can read the excited dive reports about "that awesome GPO that was under the bow of the boat" etc. If you see an octopus, sometimes it's just better not to post about it. If you DO feel the desire to post about it, be as vague as you possibly can (though many common sites have known areas they hang out, so even telling the site you were diving could give it away).

I'm up for a ralley with WDFW again if there is reason to believe it would do any good.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

What would your rational be for the regulation change?

I seriously doubt that "close the fishery because we like to look at them" would get you anywhere. You'd have the "keep it open because we like to eat them" crowd opposing you.

There are a lot of octopus out there and I would imagine that the number of people actually harvesting them is really very small.

I think you have the best approach and that's just don't give up the locations of the one's you know about and make the few people who are actually taking them find them themselves.

Does WA have a commercial harvest for Octo? Alaska has looked at it but fortunately there hasn't been much interest.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There's no commercial octo harvest. I'm not sure in this case but the tourism dollar might just be greener than the eat it dollar...

As an example there is no legal recreational or commercial harvest for wolf eels. As a relatively sedentary species living in predictable, repeatable locations they have some definite biological similarities.

We saw 5 octos in a marine protected area we visited last weekend. More than I've ever seen in one place. Big ones too. I will avoid disclosing the location further...
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Dammit, it got flagged, and the other links to the OP were removed by author.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sea of Green wrote:

Dammit, it got flagged, and the other links to the OP were removed by author.

my browser cached it. here's the response:

Jarred the Scuba Diver....meet the Game Warden !!

You are a moron! I hope that first Octopus you try to "harvest" sucks your mask and regulator from your face at 80 feet...SURPRISE! I took the liberty of copying and forwarding to Fish and Game all your CL ads offering to harvest Seafood illegally.

No offense everyone....I called this guy. He is about as dumb as they come. The scenario above is realistic...imagine lining up a deal with this guy and finding out he died trying to get you an octopus that is "bigger than I am"

I helped a friend wrestle one into a bag once...my sole job on that dive was to hang onto his back, pressing my mask and regulator into the back of his head and holding onto is mask and regulator while we were tangled in tentacles......never try that again!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I agree with most of what's being said, including Dave's realism. I don't think legal or political action would be effective.

How about some signs (underwater) that read something like:

"The dive community respectfully requests that you do not hunt here. This dive site is akin to a public park where many divers come to view the wildlife. Please permit this site to remain a sanctuary for peaceful observation.
If, however, you do choose to hunt in this location despite our humble request, please know that you will be hunted down and fonged you until your outsides are in and your insides are out. Your entrails will become your extrails. Thank you very much and have a wonderful and safe dive."

-Ben (with a bit of Knights Tale plagiarism thrown in)
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

airsix wrote:I agree with most of what's being said, including Dave's realism. I don't think legal or political action would be effective.

How about some signs (underwater) that read something like:

"The dive community respectfully requests that you do not hunt here. This dive site is akin to a public park where many divers come to view the wildlife. Please permit this site to remain a sanctuary for peaceful observation.
If, however, you do choose to hunt in this location despite our humble request, please know that you will be hunted down and fonged you until your outsides are in and your insides are out. Your entrails will become your extrails. Thank you very much and have a wonderful and safe dive."

-Ben (with a bit of Knights Tale plagiarism thrown in)
Awesome. :supz:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I doubt the signs would do any good... but I guess I could allow my opinion on feeding the wildlife to flex a bit (mmmm... mean diver chum!).

Sure would be unfortunate for this a/h to be "harvesting" an octopus and get a total flood (think diving scissors/shears... not talking about a little leaky vent or neck seal flood... :naka: ) as a passing diver tried to help and accidently cut a 2" hole in his drysuit. Seems like something (like a drysuit) could get damaged in all the chaos.

Hey Spatman!! I think we need a new sticker...

"Mean Divers Suck."
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Get yourself on the WDFW rulemaking comments public notice list. They are just finishing a "major cycle" so it will be a year before a "no octo harvest" proposal could be considered.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/rule_proposals/index.htm

1) If you look at some of the proposals this last round you will see that a "no octos" rule is actually pretty sane compared to some proposals

2) As 'consumers' of the marine resources (even if you choose not to eat them) your voice actually counts for alot more than you'd think. Example: in past years WDFW has ignored the needs of divers in setting the shrimp season (it was AM only when they are way too deep). So real live actual divers got them to change the rules for area 8-2 so you can actually scuba dive for shrimp in the evening. You can't harvest shrimp by pots after noon, but you can taken them by scuba in 8-2 thanks to a few involved divers.

3) Its your government, take some ownership, be involved.

4) I will draft a "no octos" harvest proposal for areas 7 through 13 and circulate it here for comments. I will need actual human signatures to give it some punch though. Should have ample time to collect those before the next rulemaking cycle begins.

Richard