Divers needed on Vashon Island 2/2/08

General banter about diving and why we love it.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Divers needed on Vashon Island 2/2/08

Post by nwscubamom »

Rhoda Green and Karlista Rickerson (WSA) are hosting a work party at Dockton Marina on Vashon Island this Saturday to help remove the invasive tunicate Didemnum from the underside of the docks there.

The work party will be from noon to 3pm.

All permits are in place and this project is in conjunction with King County parks.

If you help with the diving portion, you'll probably need some extra weight since you'll be in shallow water (less than 10 ft), working on the underside of a dock that's about 10 feet wide. I was told there is plenty of natural light so you can see what you're doing.

Both shore support AND divers are needed. (this is a good activity for divers with non-diving SO's).

A lunch is going to be provided so please contact Rhoda (425.652.7699) or Karlista (206.463.2497) to tell them you're coming, since they'll need to know how many folks to buy lunch fixings for.

There is a shelter there too, in case it's raining, so folks can get dry. Vashon can be accessed by several ferries, one from Point Defiance in Tacoma, and the another from West Seattle.

Many thanks to Rhoda and Karlista for putting this together!

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
JDR
Avid Diver

Re: Divers needed on Vashon Island 2/2/08

Post by JDR »

Sorry, I'd love to join you but I'm in Wichita until the 9th.

nwscubamom wrote:Rhoda Green and Karlista Rickerson (WSA) are hosting a work party at Dockton Marina on Vashon Island this Saturday to help remove the invasive tunicate Didemnum from the underside of the docks there.

The work party will be from noon to 3pm.

All permits are in place and this project is in conjunction with King County parks.

If you help with the diving portion, you'll probably need some extra weight since you'll be in shallow water (less than 10 ft), working on the underside of a dock that's about 10 feet wide. I was told there is plenty of natural light so you can see what you're doing.

Both shore support AND divers are needed. (this is a good activity for divers with non-diving SO's).

A lunch is going to be provided so please contact Rhoda (425.652.7699) or Karlista (206.463.2497) to tell them you're coming, since they'll need to know how many folks to buy lunch fixings for.

There is a shelter there too, in case it's raining, so folks can get dry. Vashon can be accessed by several ferries, one from Point Defiance in Tacoma, and the another from West Seattle.

Many thanks to Rhoda and Karlista for putting this together!

- Janna
BACK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER - LET'S GO DIVING!