Did I score or What ?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Did I score or What ?

Post by sparky »

Hey guys check out the sweat deal I just got

My buddy Rick calls me up one evening and ask me to come over to his house, He has a big favor to ask me. So being the nice guy I am I go right away I have known Rick for years and he has never ask me for a favor before, So I figured it must be important, And I head over to his place right away. hen I get there Rick informs me he had a norther guy he knows that was a diver owed him some money, and he wanted me to buy the gear this guy gave him instead of paying of that debt as he had to give diving up a couple years ago do to poor health.

Now Rick not knowing any thing about dive gear told his friend that he would have to see if I would be willing to buy the gear off Rick for the amount the other guy owed him, If I thought it was worth that amount or not. Other wise they would not have a deal and the guy would still have to pay Rick the money.

So I Said to Rick I don't know lets look at the gear first Bro
at which point Rick leads me out to his garauge and there before me is some of the sweatiest looking dive gear and I start to laugh out loud,
Thinking that my friends are trying to pull my leg or that I must be on Candid Camera or something like that.

To which Rick said and I quote " That fat read headed Son Of a B@#*&
I am going to kick his ass so bad "

I ask Rick this is a joke on me right this gear is worth a nice bit of cash just from what I can see here on the bench

to which Rick told me again " pay me what this dude owes me and its all yours "

So I was thinking OK we must be talking about at least two grand

But nope I was wrong turns out this guy had bought a motor for his truck and was to pay Rick get this $150.00 to put it in for him
yep you seen that right and no this is not a typo One hundred and fifty bucks and it was all mine.

So as you may have guessed by now I took him up on his offer
and here is a sample of what I got for my trouble
Uwatec Aladin Sport Computer

Aqua lung Titanium First Stage

Aqua Lung LX Primary reg

Parkway Nova 2 back up reg

and a bunch more like a D 4 dive light
a wet suit which I sold to a norther dive Buddy for half of what I paid for the hole lot of gear

a BCD that is dam near like brand new
its a Sea Quest Pro size XXL ( I might sell it ) oddly enough it does fit me a little lose but I could dive it

and there is a AL 80 tank needs hydro and vis but I have no doubt this tank Will pass both

and there was a set of Tusa Gages Analog Depth gage and a SPG
Not a bad haul for $150.00 huh?

then two days latter a buddy I worked with called me up and told me he was on his way over to my place he had a suprise for me

When Brice showed up at my place he had a AL 80 tank in need of hydro and Vis but I think it to will pass inspection fine

and a pair of Mares MR 12 III regulators with a set of Suunto analog gages no computer but it all was for me

they were just laying about in his friends house and no one was using them so Brice told his friend that if he did not want them he knew a guy that would find a use for them

this guy told Brice to tell me for a case of beer I could have them if I thought it was worth it

so I jumped on that deal as well

so now I ask you again did I score or what?

I tell you I have some of the greatest non diving Buddy's in the world
I should proudly take both of these guys to dinner though huh?

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Good for you Sparky, I can't think of anyone more deserving. Good Karma always pays off. \:D/

And yes, you definitely owe them dinner!

-Valerie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I agree with Valerie - there isn't a more deserving person in the world than you Sparky!! It is true - what goes around comes around... and your good mojo just came around and bit you in the ass! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

This is probably some well-deserved good fortune, and I'm happy for you. =D>

However....just in case the guy giving the gear to your friend might not be completely on the up and up....if I were you I would ask my local police department if any of that gear has been reported as stolen.

Maybe I'm too cynical for my own good.... :pale:

If the gear IS stolen you will be helping to put a criminal behind bars where he belongs. If it's NOT stolen, then you can celebrate your "haul" even more!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Congrats Sparkster! I'm stoked for you!

...what John said though... :rr:

When are you coming up to go diving?

6 days till Bonaire, but who's counting?!? \:D/
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

That's great for ya!! Congrats!!

=D> Time to buy that lottery ticket too??
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

John Rawlings wrote:This is probably some well-deserved good fortune, and I'm happy for you. =D>

However....just in case the guy giving the gear to your friend might not be completely on the up and up....if I were you I would ask my local police department if any of that gear has been reported as stolen.

If the gear IS stolen you will be helping to put a criminal behind bars where he belongs. If it's NOT stolen, then you can celebrate your "haul" even more!

- John
I already thought of that john and before I paid a cent I did check in to it
Far as I can tell it was just as the guy told my buddy no one has reported any dive gear stolen in this area in I am told a really long time and even then nothing matching the decapitation of the gear I bought

So I bought the gear

I knew you guys would be tickled for me thats why I posted the pictures

Some really grate gear I know I am one lucky dog

I cant Waite till this coming Sunday Jay and I are planning to dive Sunday

Ill post more about the dive in the proper thread
So look for it if you are free that Sunday we would love to have you join us

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm glad nothing met the decapitation of what you bought too. :axe: Oops, I mean I'm glad nothing met the description of what you bought!

Sparky, we love you man! Decapitation versus description made me laugh. You're the best, brother!! :partyman:

BTW - be sure to have that gear checked out before you depend on it. Sounds like both sets have been sitting a while and who knows if/when they were ever serviced. :pale:

Always remember to keep it safe. :salute:

Also - I must say it ROCKS that you looked into John's concerns first. You're a great example of what an upstanding person should be... this is why you deserved such a great haul of booty!! \:D/
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

hey you know me Doug my dyslexic ass cant spell even with Spell check
but I do try you have to give me that

most of the time I canget my point across

any how come out Sunday and dive with Jay and I
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

sparky wrote:hey you know me Doug my dyslexic ass cant spell even with Spell check
but I do try you have to give me that

most of the time I canget my point across

any how come out Sunday and dive with Jay and I
Sparky
Sparky - it's a charming piece of you we all enjoy. Bottom line, you're one hell of a good guy and I challenge anyone to argue otherwise with me. BTW, Erica shouts hello to you and Mollie from the other room.

I can't dive Sunday because I'm flying Monday and I'm not not willing to risk anything because it'd ruin the dive trip of a lifetime if something went wrong... but I might be able to talk Mrs. Sounder into breakfast in Edmonds and a walk on the beach to say hello!!

Let me see how she feels (with the baby growing in her, sometimes she's got lots of energy and sometimes she doesn't have any) and we'll figure it out. BUT... she HAS really liked going out for weekend breakfast lately... \:D/
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

hey that would work, I for one would love to see Mrs Sounder while she is still packing Sounder JR.. around

there is nothing more lovely then a expecting mother.

give her a big hug for me and kiss the belly while your at it and tell JR I send my love

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Sweet, someones loss your gain. Sucks to be the other guy! You should move up north for work Sparky. Gonna be a busy construction season again. Then you could put that new dive gear to good use..
Who run barter town?
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

sparky wrote:Did I score or What?

Yeah, you scored! =D> That LX is a really nice breathing Reg. Sounds like Karma to me, or did they finally legalize Marijuana use there in Portland? :rr: I mean, who lets $$800-$$1000 worth of gear go for $150? :dontknow: Good for you Sparky! =D>
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

sparky wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:This is probably some well-deserved good fortune, and I'm happy for you. =D>

- John
I already thought of that john and before I paid a cent I did check in to it
Far as I can tell it was just as the guy told my buddy no one has reported any dive gear stolen in this area in I am told a really long time and even then nothing matching the decapitation of the gear I bought

So I bought the gear

I knew you guys would be tickled for me thats why I posted the pictures

Some really grate gear I know I am one lucky dog

I cant Waite till this coming Sunday Jay and I are planning to dive Sunday

Ill post more about the dive in the proper thread
So look for it if you are free that Sunday we would love to have you join us

Sparky
Cool! I'm glad that you "took care of business" to make sure that everything was on the up and up.

What a SCORE! I'm happy for you! =D>

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

Way back in the olden days when my wife had a shop in Port Orchard, we had a guy come in with a bunch of stuff that he "needed" to sell right away to pay a DUI ticket. I really didn't want to buy the stuff so I made an insulting offer of $150 in hopes that he would keep it and find another way to pay his bills. He accepted the offer and I wrote it all up with his ID, a statement from him saying that it was actually his stuff, etc.

I then checked all the stuff into our service department for total overhauls on everything... regulator, BC inflater, tank valve overhaul, hydro, suit repair...the works! In a week it was all done. I always held used stuff for 60 days after taking the purchase information down to the Police just in case.

This time I was glad I had. The ACTUAL owner of the stuff came in with the guy that sold it to me. I called the Police on the spot since the owner wanted to wring my neck for buying "stolen stuff" from his nephew. The office came, I explained what happened, showed him the report that I filed with their office and he said I didn't have to do anything...the stuff was mine. However, I told the owner, that if I get paid for the gear and the work that I did, I would be glad to give it back to him. He still wanted me arrested for buying stolen gear and the officer told him, "Fine ... but we have to arrest your nephew first for stealing it then."

The Owner didn't want his nephew going to jail so he agreed to pay me the $150 that I gave for his stuff and the $100~150 for all the service that I did.

Of the thousands of dollars of used stuff that I bought over the years, that was the only stuff that turned out to be stolen ... at least that I know of.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Well all I can say is I have known Rick for a few years now and have never known him to put his self or his friends in any jeopardy like this in the past

I can understand the fears but I know Rick very well and like I said Rick does not dive

I know the guy Rick got the gear from a little bit he always seemed to me like a nice guy and when I first had the chance to meet him I remember him telling me be had given diving for a short time do to poor health but he hoped one day to be able to dive again fro what I can gather his health problems are worse then before

I do realize this seems like one of them to good to be true offers but I also know the situation and the people involved

So i think its a safe bet to say it is going to be OK
thanks for worrying about me though guys but I got that end of things covered

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Congrats on the great deal Sparky! :supz:

You see? Good things do happen to good people!
Now if any of that stuff(minus the Aluminum 80's),
Is taking up too much space in your House, Garage or Apartment. You can off-load it on me.
I'm here for ya bro! \:D/
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

BASSMAN wrote:Congrats on the great deal Sparky! :supz:

You see? Good things do happen to good people!
Now if any of that stuff(minus the Aluminum 80's),
Is taking up too much space in your House, Garage or Apartment. You can off-load it on me.
I'm here for ya bro! \:D/
Keith now how did I know I could count on you,
I just knew you or tom maybe even Doug or diver down to offer to store my new gear and keep it from getting to lonely

your to funny bro
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I've got a nice pair of sunglasses! If you want to trade! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: