American Sign Language underwater

General banter about diving and why we love it.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

American Sign Language underwater

Post by scottsax »

On the first pool dive of my OW class, I thought that divers should communicate with ASL instead of the rather limited (and not necessarily standardized) hand signals they taught us. I mean, here's an established, nonverbal form of communication that is incredibly expressive-why don't divers use it? Last year I read an article in Alert Diver about divers with disabilities (not that deafness is a disability-I've had a number of deaf friends, and that was always a hotly debated subject) and was reminded again of how cool ASL is and how utterly useful it would be underwater.

So...why don't more divers learn it? It's not like learning French or Spanish in high school-you could apply directly to your everyday (albeit underwater) life.

The thread about how to communicate remaining PSI got me thinking too. We need an ASL-for-divers class. I think it's a good idea that could catch on....

What do you think?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: American Sign Language underwater

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:On the first pool dive of my OW class, I thought that divers should communicate with ASL instead of the rather limited (and not necessarily standardized) hand signals they taught us. I mean, here's an established, nonverbal form of communication that is incredibly expressive-why don't divers use it? Last year I read an article in Alert Diver about divers with disabilities (not that deafness is a disability-I've had a number of deaf friends, and that was always a hotly debated subject) and was reminded again of how cool ASL is and how utterly useful it would be underwater.

So...why don't more divers learn it? It's not like learning French or Spanish in high school-you could apply directly to your everyday (albeit underwater) life.

The thread about how to communicate remaining PSI got me thinking too. We need an ASL-for-divers class. I think it's a good idea that could catch on....

What do you think?
Great thread!!

Well, Valerie is an instructor... and signs!!! She should teach a class with Bob Lew!!! I'd CERTAINLY attend!! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Actually there are standardized hand signals, see previously mentioned book on cave diving communication. But they partially depend on the community at interest. They are often ideal because they: 1) are mostly one handed, 2) communicate just enough but not an excess amount of information.

The potential problem with ASL already plagues wetnotes. Its potentially slow and time consuming, often takes 2 hands, and can actually lead to a hefty amount of information overload.

I was on a dive last year off Catalina (deco dive). I was sorta leading and we ended up too deep. Partially cause there was a reef at 140ft so I thought we go along that for a few mins and then loop back above it for the reverse course. But we were on a "wreck site" and the wreck was on the slope above us. Rather than just give me the sign for upslope (a hand going back and forth fingers to wrist with the palm down - diagonalling up). One of my German buddies proceeded to take out his wetnotes and write a damned paragraph on why we should contour up 10ft. Information overload.

While I only know a few ASL signs I don't see them as dive specific enough to be concise, BRIEF, and to the point. I'm happy to be proven wrong do you have a page of ASL signs which you are recommending?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:Actually there are standardized hand signals, see previously mentioned book on cave diving communication. But they partially depend on the community at interest. They are often ideal because they: 1) are mostly one handed, 2) communicate just enough but not an excess amount of information.

The potential problem with ASL already plagues wetnotes. Its potentially slow and time consuming, often takes 2 hands, and can actually lead to a hefty amount of information overload.

I was on a dive last year off Catalina (deco dive). I was sorta leading and we ended up too deep. Partially cause there was a reef at 140ft so I thought we go along that for a few mins and then loop back above it for the reverse course. But we were on a "wreck site" and the wreck was on the slope above us. Rather than just give me the sign for upslope (a hand going back and forth fingers to wrist with the palm down - diagonalling up). One of my German buddies proceeded to take out his wetnotes and write a damned paragraph on why we should contour up 10ft. Information overload.

While I only know a few ASL signs I don't see them as dive specific enough to be concise, BRIEF, and to the point. I'm happy to be proven wrong do you have a page of ASL signs which you are recommending?
I'd primarily be interested in learning better ways of describing the critters your seeing. I would also like to learn the alphabet so I could communicate a single word which would get the message across.

I do agree with Richard though - if you don't sign fluently, things are going to get very "greek" in a hurry. That's why a few signals to broaden the established signs would be great... but I don't need to say "let's go for pizza and beer afterward" during the dive. Besides, that's a given.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

When I see something cool I shine my light on it and point with a finger - unequivical. All other signals for "cool critter" are recipes for misunderstandings.

e.g. I did a dive with another member once and they kept circling a spot with their light. I kept "ok-ing" back. Kept circling, I keep OKing. Finally we stop and move on. Turns out that multiple circles was their signal for "cool critter there in the middle". One circle was supposed to be for "ok". Not recommended to mix up key command signals with other casual conversation IMO. In fact casual conversation UW is generally a recipe for miscommunications and/or frustrations. I figure my buddy's got eyes, they are seeing stuff on their own. Once in a blue moon there's something unique and truly worth pointing out cause you won't see another (e.g.) Mola Mola in hundreds of dives. So I point that stuff out, with a finger :)
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scott, you might be interested in this website which can help teach ASL:
http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/

these people are also creating a system based on ASL for divers, but it ain't free:
http://seasigns.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: American Sign Language underwater

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:Well, Valerie is an instructor... and signs!!! She should teach a class with Bob Lew!!! I'd CERTAINLY attend!! \:D/
i would too!
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

good point
Did you know the sign for Share air in Scuba diving sign is actuly thank you in A S L first time I seen it in dive lessons I was a bit confused
but that normal for me though

my wife signs a little and I have been trying to learn
I am all for it
Sign me up ( no pun intended ) ok maybe just a little pun

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I $22 would order the flash cards, but honestly I see this system conflicting (badly) with the signs described in Prosser and Grey which are much more established amongst the community I dive with. E.g. their sign for "shrimp" is easily confused with the more common use of the crooked finger (which is "question"). Also some of their example signs look like they only work if you are out of trim (like "shark").
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:I $22 would order the flash cards, but honestly I see this system conflicting (badly) with the signs described in Prosser and Grey which are much more established amongst the community I dive with. E.g. their sign for "shrimp" is easily confused with the more common use of the crooked finger (which is "question"). Also some of their example signs look like they only work if you are out of trim (like "shark").
Hmmm... I agree. Not as great of an idea as I first thought. I think I'll stick to Prosser & Grey. :dontknow:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I am willing to check it out though. Honestly ASL sign, homemade sign whatevah, I don't ever see myself pointing out shrimp.

I wonder if they have a good sign for octo though? Mine is a cupped palm fingers in a circle parallel to each other kinda "pumping". But I made that up a few years ago and there's gotta be something better.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

CaptnJack wrote:Honestly ASL sign, homemade sign whatevah, I don't ever see myself pointing out shrimp.
You guys over there are so spoiled you don't even know it! You've been overstimulated. I see more life in 1 minute of Puget Sound diving than I saw cumulatively in my first 20 years of diving (all fresh water). When I am in Puget Sound I want to see EVERYTHING! Every shrimp, every star, every hydroid, every nudi, every siphon...

When I am diving with you, please point out EVERYTHING. : )

-Ben
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

We use a handful (pardon the unintentional pun) of ASL-based signs when it's just us 3, but most of ours are either the standard ones or stuff we've made up ourselves. With most critters, we don't try to signal what it is, we just wave the light to get the others' attention, then point. If it's something tiny, we use the thumb-and-forefinger "about this big" sign, otherwise we just point with finger and light as necessary. If it's a crab we make a pinching sign with one hand, that's about as complicated as it gets. We do have some other signs: the ASL letter "S" wagging back and forth means "sorry," as in "sorry I bumped into you" or "sorry I accidentally shut your air off" or whatever. The letter W moved in a vertical circle means "Wow!" Making a peak, like a roof, with the two hands means "let's go home, I am tired/am hungry/need to pee/whatever". Simulating a yawn, with the patting of the mouth means "Yeah, we've seen a kabillion of those already this trip." But beyond a few things like that, we deliberately try to keep it simple. Obviously that's just us, and Your Mileage May Vary. I just toss that into the discussion for whatever it's worth.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

There is a class called Sea Signs which teaches ASL specifically for divers' use. The organization worked with ASL signers to come up with signs that can easily be seen and understood underwater. Some of the signs are very recognizable as ASL but some have been changed a lot for underwater use. Zen Diver & I both became Sea Signs Instructors when we attended DEMA this year. So far, neither of us have gotten it together to put together a class but we intend to in the near future. It can be taught as a specialty for several of the organizations or it can just be taught as a class without the certification. I hope to start teaching it as a PADI specialty as soon as I get the specialty class rating which will be awhile-I'm still working on my 25 certifications that you have to have before you can apply to teach specialties-I'm at 11 so far.
If divers are interested in the class without getting a certification from their agency I bet Valerie and/or I can set something up.
If you want more information on SeaSigns you can go to http://www.seasigns.com/students.php
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I would interested in taking this class.
Een better if I could get it as a PADI cert. :supz:

I wonder how many signs we could be using from the list of Emticons on this board.

Even to come up with a list of signs to discuss before a dive with someone new as a buddy or to a group, would be nice.

How to sign:
Low or out of air {Most Basic, but neccessary}
If I swim up to someone and signal "I'm out of air & I wan't to share your air!" the last thing I want them to do is signal back with
"Your welcome!"
I always go over some basic signs like
"go up to ## feet"
"Go this direction"
"Buddy up {swim beside me please!}"
"level off"
"Safety Stop"
ect...
How many of these signs could mean something else in the ASL?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

We all know most of the ASL alphabet, so we recently started using the letter S repeated twice to indicate "safety stop." The important thing, at least to me, is that any time we come up with a new signal like this, we discuss it thoroughly before we get in the water. At times it's sort of like being the third base coach: it really isn't all that important what the signs are as long as everybody understands them. But that's just us.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I'll take the class when it's offered, too. My ex- studied ASL, and we had a lot of Deaf friends. I picked up a little, but haven't retained it since we split. (Actually, I remember how to say "nice to meet you," and "nice pants" but that's really only useful at the surface.)
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
brownick
Avid Diver

Post by brownick »

Not to change the subject though the topic of underwater hand signals reminded me of a few SWAT team hand signals http://humour.200ok.com.au/swat_team_hand_signals.html
These might not be appropriate for all audiences.