I'm going Pro

General banter about diving and why we love it.
kwbyron
Aquaphile

I'm going Pro

Post by kwbyron »

So...I've started my SSI DiveCon down here in Corpus Christi,tx (i like you guys better then the local forum) and I am having a little trouble shifting my mindset from a rec diver to a "dive leader." I know a lot of ya'll are pro, so was this change in thinking easy for you or is this part of transition and the sales aspect of the industry will settle with me in time? I don't like that my new shop requires it's instructors to wear the same rig...seems like a cheep sales trick; but the business man in me says, "good idea!" AHHHH the conflict.

I understand the role and importance of the LDS and how sales and revenue support both the LDS and the agency...but I feel like half this book covers sales, and even their pro track seems to have gimmicks with no other purpose then to generate money for the agency or shops. Once you start getting to this level in other agencies, do they all seem to push the financial aspects of diving or is this just part of the SSI philosophy? Is this just part of the Dive industry? Trying to find out the inner workings seems about as difficult as getting into the stonecutters.

Oh, SSI is the only agency in town.
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: I'm going Pro

Post by Tom Nic »

My guess is that it's the dive industry in general, though I will watch this forum with great interest to read the responses. If you don't make money you don't stay in business. I do sympathize with your position, though, as I've never liked goose stepping when it comes to gear, whether it's the PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc. LDS's specific brand name kit with yellow octopus that they're trying to sell or the GUE configuration so that I don't die. Choices are good, informed choices are better.

Although some folks may not be able to be as candid since they may have bosses that read the forum. :pale:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I got a little annoyed at the NAUI materials relating to the "business end" of it all, but I understand why it's there. The LDS I was doing my DM/Instructor program with didn't insist on everybody having the same gear, but they did expect their people to be familiar with the rental gear that most students are going to be using for the courses and such, which only makes sense I guess. My biggest gripe with the agency is all the damn insurance crap, but in our litigation-happy society, I understand why it's necessary *sigh*

Having said that, "going pro" means "I intend to get paid for my services" so some training in the money end of things is necessary, especially for those who have never been self-employed before. I have, so a lot of it was redundant for me, but for most people this will be their first introduction to selling themselves, so to speak. In that sense, it's probably good that the agencies teach people how to do that. And since most of the work will come thru an LDS, the emphasis on supporting the shop makes sense, too. I agree it can get annoying, but if the intention really is to become a "professional," there's no good way around it that I can see.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I had this discussion with my Assistant Instructor students last week.

Teaching or assisting people learning to dive is fun and rewarding. However, students will ask you about equipment, servicing, rentals, cameras, vacations, etc, because they see you as an "expert". It is important for dive pros to understand how different equipment fits people and what is good and bad, based on experience. It isn't all about money, but helping those to understand what might be right for you, may not be the best choice for them. Students will ask divemasters/divecons first because they develop a trust with them. Many may feel intimidated to ask the instructor or people that work in the store. So, what you say can impact what they buy. You may not like that, but part of being a dive leader is knowing what is out there and being able to "sell" someone the pros and cons of something they would like to purchase.

The owner/manager of your dive center knows this. They want you to encourage students to buy from the store. Since you work for the store, it makes sense for you to support the product that the store sells. SSI is all about the dive center, so as a SSI divecon, everything you do is connected to the dive store. (teaching, insurance, etc) So, as an employee, it is your job to support their success. PADI and NAUI you can operate independently of the store, but even doing so, students are still going to ask you what they should buy, where to go dive on a dive vacation, etc. You can't get away from it. PADI refers to the business side of diving as the 3 "E"s, Education, Entertainment and Equipment. Understanding how all 3 work together allows you as a dive professional to understand how the dive business works.

Bottom line, this is a business. Being a DM/DC allows you a peak at what goes on behind the curtain. It isn't all fun, and it isn't all glamorous. Once you are working in the industry, you will understand that it is like any other specialty industry out there. We just have more fun than everyone else does.

Hope that helps a little bit.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Not a dive professional, but what brands does the shop sell? Is it about brand, or is it about gear configuration? Seems like just about everybody out there sells gear that works for your style of diving Kevin. If it's about everybody must wear poodle jackets, than I don't know what to say other than "that sucks"!

You may want to PM Peter Guy, I think he's having the same kinds of "growing pains". I think the really unfortunate thing is that this is the only shop in town. ](*,)

Have fun teaching!

Jake
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

PADI and NAUI you can operate independently of the store
PADI only supports this idea in theory; in actuality, if you ain't affiliated with a shop you ain't gonna get any gigs. NAUI still considers its DM's and instructors "free agents" in its official documents, but for all practical purposes they're becoming totally shop-based as well. As my DM instructor told me, "the day of the independent, itinerant scuba instructor is gone."

Whether that's a good or bad thing, I really couldn't say, but the main reason why all the agencies are going this way is a very practical one: with the advent of online sales and such, dive shops are closing at an alarming rate. Linking instruction to a shop and encouraging both instructors and DM's to push sales for the shop is a big step toward keeping shops in the black, or at least breaking even. And since you can't get an air fill over the Internet, having a viable shop nearby is probably a good idea.

Incidentally, Amy, you have a PM.
Okay, then again maybe you don't. For some reason this system isn't letting me access certain things, like sending a PM. So I'll just ask: have you gotten my letter yet?
Dave

--
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

Thanks for the replies! It helps to know that this isn't only SSI's train of thought, and since the gear is close to what I dive anyways...I suppose it's not that big of a deal. I don't mind selling things, but I'm generally too honest for it. If a student asks me if the rig I dive in class is the same as my personal rig, I'll say no; however, I will explain why. The class rig is an xtx 50 status and back-inflated BC customed for the shop. I think the status is a neat feature, but not all that needed and the BC is good, but I went to a harness rig because I didn't like cummerbunds and straps and pockets...just too much to get in the way. I like clipping what I'll use to my d-rings and putting my backup light and slate in my dry suit pocket...although I won't have that now that I'm diving warm water (if I can ever go dive).
p.s...sorry for the slow reply today, had trouble with the website.
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

dwashbur wrote:
PADI and NAUI you can operate independently of the store
PADI only supports this idea in theory; in actuality, if you ain't affiliated with a shop you ain't gonna get any gigs. NAUI still considers its DM's and instructors "free agents" in its official documents, but for all practical purposes they're becoming totally shop-based as well. As my DM instructor told me, "the day of the independent, itinerant scuba instructor is gone."
I don't agree ... I've been operating as an independent instructor for most of the four years that I've been teaching, and to be honest I refer more students than I teach simply because I don't want to teach that often.

I think that with the advent of online scuba equipment sales, there's a growing market for independent instructors ... not a shrinking one.

FWIW - NAUI provides the same services to its independent instructors that it provides to the shop-based ones ... so I don't see how you can say that NAUI's becoming totally shop-based as well. Would you care to elaborate on why you think so?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I agree with Bob on this one, to a degree. The successful independent instructors out there are busy. They are marketing themselves and working off of referrals. I have found instructors who rely solely on the shop they work for to get students and classes are not busy as those who are out promoting their dive business. Before I opened A-2-Z, I was affiliated with Lighthouse, however, I had my own website and a large customer based. I found that I was busier with my referral business than stuff from the shop. Like Bob, I was having to turn away business.

I found the support I got from PADI was very good as an independent. However, once opening a store, it got better. My instructors get great benefits for working under the shop which includes free use of rental gear and access to my customer database. Divemasters get scuba reviews, skin divers and other opportunities to make money that they would not get on their own. Of course, being a pro through a shop gets them discounts on equipment, which for many on my staff, is the best reason for going pro.

Kevin...I think I know the store you are working out of. My parents spend their winters in Corpus Christi and they went into the shop and got me a tee shirt. I also get their newsletter.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Hmm. I was going by what my DM instructor told me about NAUI, and by what both local shops here in Boise told me about PADI. Now I'm wondering why they would all tell me such things if they aren't true?

Considering how much we travel, being an independent DM or instructor would be the ideal thing for me, so I'll take any more info that anybody and everybody wants to give me............
Dave

--