how to package a scuba tank for shipping?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
jedijordos
Avid Diver

how to package a scuba tank for shipping?

Post by jedijordos »

Has anyone ever shipped a scuba tank? It seem like if i put it in a box it will just bust out the bottom. And where would i get a box that dimension?
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: how to package a scuba tank for shipping?

Post by airsix »

I'm going to take the low-IQ approach and say ask your local dive shop to save you a tank box next time they get a shipment. They are thick multi-layer cardboard, rectangular, just the right size, and free. : )

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Just be sure to take the valve out and leave the bottle completely open!!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

airsix wrote:I'm going to take the low-IQ approach and say ask your local dive shop to save you a tank box next time they get a shipment. They are thick multi-layer cardboard, rectangular, just the right size, and free. : )

-Ben
Oh my self esteem. I wasn't even smart enought to think of that! Just how low was that low IQ approach? ](*,)
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

In a hurry to ship it? Don't care if it gets a little scratched up? There may be another way...

- Take the valve out.
- Write the destination address on the tank. (Or a piece of cardboard securely taped to the tank.)
- Take it down to the post office and mail it like that.
- Just be sure they use sticky, self-adhesive stamps for postage; water-based postage labels may peel off the metal.
- Send the valve separately.
- You may be charged a bit extra for shipping an odd-shaped object.

Seriously, this would probably work. I'd call them first to make sure they don't have any prohibitions against metal or heavy cylindrical packages.

:-D
JDR
Avid Diver

Post by JDR »

I would hesitate to ship a bare tank. Scratches, gouges and dings can cause your tank to be rejected at it's next VCI or Hydro. Check with your LDS for a spare box.

:fish:
BACK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER - LET'S GO DIVING!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re:

Post by airsix »

Pez7378 wrote:
airsix wrote:I'm going to take the low-IQ approach and say ask your local dive shop to save you a tank box next time they get a shipment. They are thick multi-layer cardboard, rectangular, just the right size, and free. : )

-Ben
Oh my self esteem. I wasn't even smart enought to think of that! Just how low was that low IQ approach? ](*,)
Yikes! I should have worded that differently. I wasn't trying to be a smart-a**. "You need to take the low-IQ approach" is a phrase my business partners use when one of us is overlooking the simple solutions. So when I wrote "I'm going to take the low-IQ approach" I was just reminding myself out loud to look for a simple solution. Simple solutions are usually better than clever ones. I wasn't implying anything about anyone's intelligence. : )

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

I have bought couple sets of tanks through ebay, they have come in a box, valve on, valve closed, air drained. my twin us divers 80's with single manifold came in the original styrofoam block, with tags.
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!