Was I out of town for the egg yolk jellies?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Was I out of town for the egg yolk jellies?

Post by LCF »

I have vivid memories of last spring and summer . . . egg yolks jellies were EVERYWHERE, and we took photographs of them floating, and caught in the metridium anemones, and we chased them down on scooters. This year, I think I've seen ONE. Did I miss "egg yolk season", or was last year an unusual bloom?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Was I out of town for the egg yolk jellies?

Post by Tom Nic »

Been seeing them the last couple weeks at TTN, and saw them at Sund a few weeks ago.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Funny, I was wondering the same, I did not see them this year, OK, maybe I saw two and that was some months ago. Not even close to the "normal". :dontknow:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

I was fishing off Alki tonight and saw one float on by :)
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

For what it's worth (not much, I'm sure) it was a real oddity to be surrounded on most of our dives by the Brown Jellies out at Neah Bay this year for our survey week. I'd never seen one before (except in an aquarium) and here we were, with them all over the place. I've dove out there for the past 6 years or so, and never seen one before this year.

Weird...so the Egg Yolk jellies are not around much this year, but the Brown Jellies, at least out in Neah Bay, are quite prolific.

- Janna :)
458 (59).JPG
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

The few times I've seen them is when I look "up" or when they have been feasting on some Plumose Anemone's.
I think they are all drifting along in the higher water collumn. There's nothing worse than looking up and seeing an Egg Yolk or worse, a Lions Mane jelly directly above you! And that's why I try to avoid looking up, I've been stung Too many times.
So go ahead and hunt for them by looking up, I bet you will see more of them. :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

BASSMAN wrote:The few times I've seen them is when I look "up" or when they have been feasting on some Plumose Anemone's.
I think they are all drifting along in the higher water collumn. There's nothing worse than looking up and seeing an Egg Yolk or worse, a Lions Mane jelly directly above you! And that's why I try to avoid looking up, I've been stung Too many times.
So go ahead and hunt for them by looking up, I bet you will see more of them. :smt064
I think that Plumose anemones are feasting on egg yolk jellies, from what I saw here on Whidbey :dontknow:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

BASSMAN wrote:There's nothing worse than looking up and seeing an Egg Yolk or worse, a Lions Mane jelly directly above you!
its the ones you don't see, and that you scooter into a tentacle and get the whole thing whip across your face that really suck...
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Jan K wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:The few times I've seen them is when I look "up" or when they have been feasting on some Plumose Anemone's.
:smt064
I think that Plumose anemones are feasting on egg yolk jellies, from what I saw here on Whidbey :dontknow:
Yeah Sometimes its difficult to determine...Who's eating Who? :dontknow:
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

Jan K wrote:
BASSMAN wrote: worse, a Lions Mane jelly directly above you! And that's why I try to avoid looking up, I've been stung Too many times.
:
I would rather look up and see them then just blindly run into them.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

no excuses wrote:
Jan K wrote:
BASSMAN wrote: worse, a Lions Mane jelly directly above you! And that's why I try to avoid looking up, I've been stung Too many times.
:
I would rather look up and see them then just blindly run into them.
This is true, but as for me, it has been the "looking up too late" that has got me stung. :pale:

So I see your point.

One time I was ascending and when I looked up I saw what seemed to be a sort of netting above me.
After further assesment I saw it was actually two egg yolk jellies with thier nematocyst's crossed above me.
I was able to descend and avoid the stinging sensation! So looking up is not always a bad thing for me.
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

I once ended up with Greta Garbo lips after a dive through a lions mane...and the tentacle wrapped around my reg, by my lips. It was hilarious in a painful sexy sort of way.
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Do egg yolk jellies sting like Lion's Mane? Why am I "afraid" of Lion's Mane jellies :pale: but not egg yolk jellies? :dontknow:
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Tom Nic wrote:Do egg yolk jellies sting like Lion's Mane? Why am I "afraid" of Lion's Mane jellies :pale: but not egg yolk jellies? :dontknow:
Yes, they sting and yes you can feel it... but no, it's nothing like a Lion's Mane sting. To me it feels like a slight sting/bad itch kind of thing where as the Lion's Mane is like placing your lips in a frying pan.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

the PH in urine will neutralize the pain of the Lions Mane sting. ANd even if the hit is on your lips, the pain is such that you will consider it, however briefly!
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

oregondiver wrote:the PH in urine will neutralize the pain of the Lions Mane sting. ANd even if the hit is on your lips, the pain is such that you will consider it, however briefly!
Best fix for a Lion's Mane jelly is lots of the hottest water you can stand... for a long time. Then maximum-strength Lanacane cream is an AWESOME addition to numb the pain. I keep a tube in my save a dive kit.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

oregondiver wrote:the PH in urine will neutralize the pain of the Lions Mane sting. ANd even if the hit is on your lips, the pain is such that you will consider it, however briefly!
...and it makes for a great pickup line, too!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Scubagirl45 wrote:
scottsax wrote:
...and it makes for a great pickup line, too!
#-o
I'm sorry-I have no filter. You'll find out on a surface interval sometime...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

scottsax wrote:
I'm sorry-I have no filter. You'll find out on a surface interval sometime...
This is very true. :)

"Hey baby, would you like for me to pee on your sting?" is now right up there with

"someone must have hit you with phasers set on stunning!"

And my personal favorite

"I'm the droid your looking for".

Um. Yeah. I'm kind of a nerd. I like nerds. I'm attractive to nerds and nerd by-products. I get some weird ones.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Here's a couple for you Lynne, hopefully to help soothe the absence a little, and to see if this thread can be saved. (ooo... reality TV show idea - "Can This Thread Be Saved?" - cue dramatic music... nah....) ... OK, that's enough, :axe: I'm off to Bonaire! \:D/

TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Frankly, I haven't seen ant jellies this year.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
divergirl07
Avid Diver

Post by divergirl07 »

I saw this one at Titlow the end of August & it seemed like it was dying - I kinda wooshed the water toward it & It looked like it was disintegrating...?? any ideas?
Attachments
099.JPG
088.JPG
"Life is short.......... I want it all ...NOW!!"
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Tom Nic wrote:Do egg yolk jellies sting like Lion's Mane? Why am I "afraid" of Lion's Mane jellies :pale: but not egg yolk jellies? :dontknow:
I've been lucky enough to be stung by both and, Yes! the Lions Mane sting was worse and, No! I did not try Urin for for a remedy! Vinigar and Amonia (no-bite) Stick. and wait it out. worked for me.