Question

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Question

Post by Norris »

So my first class is this Monday and I have been looking around at getting my own gear. I will be honest, this hobby is somewhat expensive so buying things will be a process.
I will be renting much at first and my question is "What should I buy first?"
I felt that I should ask you all and see what the consensus is. I was thinking the wrist computer, but wanted to test the water and see what you guys think?

Wetsuit?
BCD?
DrySuit?
Computer?
Helicoptor?
Flashlight?
Distributor cap for a 1976 Ford Pinto?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
BDub
I've Got Gills

Re: Question

Post by BDub »

Norris wrote:So my first class is this Monday and I have been looking around at getting my own gear. I will be honest, this hobby is somewhat expensive so buying things will be a process.
I felt that I should ask you all and see what the consensus is. I was thinking the wrist computer, but wanted to test the water and see what you guys think?

Wetsuit?
BCD?
DrySuit?
Computer?
Helicoptor?
Flashlight?
If you get 12 replies to this question, you'll get 12 differing opinions.

It all comes down to personal preference. Personally, I'd suggest going with a bc or bp/wing or a reg. The reg is your life support and your bc will really impact your overall comfort in the water.

I'd hold off on the computer for right now. Chances are your air consumption is going to be your limiting factor on your first few dives and a rental depth gauge should be ample.

Just my .02

Brian
Last edited by BDub on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Would the Oceanic "Veo 100" Wrist Dive Computer work for now?

I was thinking about picking that up...
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

We JUST had this discussion, but I'm too lazy to look it up. I vote for getting your own regs first- it's what you're using to breathe underwater, afterall. To me, everything else is less important.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Norris wrote:Would the Oceanic "Veo 100" Wrist Dive Computer work for now?

Uh......well, personally, I'd recommend a different computer.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Thanks Brian,
Yeah I assume that I will get a bunch of answers but after reading the reasoning it will make it a little easier for me to make a decision.
I will most likely go used on much of my beginning gear, but is there anything that I should asolutely NOT go used on?
All answers are appreciated thanks everyone!!!

So Reg or BCD huh?
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I hear ya on the different computer, but its a crazy jump from that one to others...200+ dollars to be exact. Then again I will need other divers opinons to really nail down what to do and I appreciate it.
I'm going to look at Regs today once Im done with this report.

heh
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Norris wrote:So my first class is this Monday and I have been looking around at getting my own gear. I will be honest, this hobby is somewhat expensive so buying things will be a process.

Wetsuit?
BCD?
DrySuit?
Computer?
Helicoptor?
Flashlight?
I'd definitely get the helicopter first.

After that, I'd look at regulators and here's why...

You very well may find that the BC you start with may not be the one you decide you want in the end. This is the same with computers, fins, and other pieces of gear. Especially with fins, buy the cheap ones to start - no need to drop hundreds of dollars on a pair of fins you may find you hate.

Regulators, on the other hand, will be used with whatever gear configuration you choose. I would buy a good set of regulators first, and then get out and dive.

Once certified, don't go running out to purchase all your gear (dive shop owners are cursing me right now). Get out and dive, a lot, and do it with various types of gear. You'll find they're quite different and you may prefer one over the other. There are lots of rental BC's in the jacket-style around, and there are plenty of opportunities to try things like back-plates and wings too.

The WORST feeling is dropping serious coin on gear only to find out it's not what you want... MANY people here have fallen into that trap - it's not uncommon at all. Really figure out what you want, and then start thinking about buying. In the meantime, while you're waiting, stash away your hard-earned dollars so you'll be able to buy nice stuff when it comes time.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Regs definitely as far as I'm concerned. That is your life support and you want to know that's its working, well-maintained, and that you're comfortable with it. But everyone has their own opinion.
Since you haven't started your class yet you may want to wait a bit. You may be able to try a few different types of gear from the shop your instructor teaches out of. That way you can see how well some things work and how you like the fit and style of stuff. I actually bought all my gear before my open water weekend and ended up getting great stuff that I used for about 400 dives before changing too much. And most of it I still use when teaching in the pool. But I had tried out almost everything I bought during my classes so I knew what I liked and didn't like before I bought it.
Good luck with your course and welcome to diving and the board.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Regs or a BC. If you intend to rent gear from the same place that you're gonna do your OW class, pay attention during class to how many of your fellow students have regulator issues. If none of them do, chances are that shop maintains their rental gear pretty well. At that point, get a BC, it will greatly improve your comfort level to be using your own, well fitted BC, rather than a random rental that may or may not fit, and at OW depths, most regs are going to breathe fine anyway. If you DO see a lot of reg issues in the class, I'd think about buying a Reg of my own. Doesn't matter if you have a comfortable BC if you can't breathe....

Wait on the computer and other stuff, especially on that Veo. You're probably going to want one that can do Nitrox...
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Joshua Smith wrote:We JUST had this discussion, but I'm too lazy to look it up. I vote for getting your own regs first- it's what you're using to breathe underwater, afterall. To me, everything else is less important.
+1. Life support equipment first. Ironically tanks are usually the last thing people buy. But a tank that's passed hydro and vis is just as good as any others that have passed at holding air. Delivering it is somewhat trickier.
Joshua Smith wrote:
Norris wrote:Would the Oceanic "Veo 100" Wrist Dive Computer work for now?

Uh......well, personally, I'd recommend a different computer.
+1. Pick a Gshock you like and pay attention to your depth gauge. Then run tables. Tables end up being more conservative than a computer (I'm going to let your instructor explain how) so if you do it right you're less likely to run into trouble. As a new diver I appreciated that extra safety and when I was more comfortable with the whole no-deco paradigm I moved up to computers. The itch to go buy one is strong but in my opinion; hold off. It'll make you a more comfortable, competent diver. Which is the important part.
WylerBear wrote:Since you haven't started your class yet you may want to wait a bit. You may be able to try a few different types of gear from the shop your instructor teaches out of.
+1. I wouldn't even touch the question "what should I buy" at this point in your diving career. Buying a Ferrari doesn't make you Jeff Gordon. Expensive gear a good diver doesn't necessarily make. Focus on your skills. Perfect them.
Last edited by lurch on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

laivindil wrote:Expensive gear a good diver doesn't necessarily make.
Yes master yoda. :smt064
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Three classic schools of thought on that question ...

-Regs ... for the reasons already stated
-BCD ... because buoyancy control is the most difficult skill, and getting decent at it is much harder in rental gear
- exposure protection (wetsuit or drysuit) ... because none of the rest of the gear will matter much if you're cutting your dives short because you're cold

Which you decide on first should take into consideration the quality of the gear you're renting ... and that varies greatly from one LDS to another. Some shops rent reasonable quality regs, and maintain them meticulously ... in which case, a reg is a reg is a reg and other gear will be a higher priority.

Consistency in buoyancy control equipment is key to learning the skill ... and having the same gear every time you dive matters hugely.

Exposure suit ... either wet or dry ... has to fit properly and be in reasonably good shape, or you will get cold ... in which case, you will be spending more time thinking about ending the dive than about improving your skills and having fun (which is kind've the whole point of diving, after all).

Consider what's most important to you, and what your access to reasonable quality gear happens to be ... the best answer is going to depend on those things, and will vary from person to person ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Nwbrewer wrote:
As the CEO of Redneck Dive Supply you know this first hand. :la:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

laivindil wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:

I was more refering to your grammer....
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

Nwbrewer wrote:
laivindil wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Should we expect a tag team comedy act between Nwbrewer & laivindil, in the spirit of Pez7378 and Fistiq?

Just wondering.
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I will have to say that this group kicks ass!!! Thanks alot for the input, and wish me luck on my helicoptor purchase.

:supz:
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

If I had it to do over again I'd choose NOT to buy gear until I'd been diving for 6 months or so and had a chance to be exposed to some variety before selecting. I loaded up on stuff right out of the gate, which was a mistake. I would have chosen different equipment had I been exposed to other options.

I say get a great mask and save the rest of the purchases until after you've dived with 6-12 of the great people here. That will expose you to a variety of equipment and styles. Then you can get a better idea of what you want before you invest and only cry once as they say.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

smike wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
laivindil wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Should we expect a tag team comedy act between Nwbrewer & laivindil, in the spirit of Pez7378 and Fistiq?

Just wondering.
Nah, I'm an equal opportunity antagonist. Better watch out Mike. :evil4:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I would go with air six on this one DON'T buy anything not required for your class until after you get a few dives in. I made that mistake and ended up getting rid of most of it in short order. Another thing I also irritated my dive instructor by having Non standard gear that didn't meet his definition of "proper" for a student and new diver.

Learn first then buy using the knowledge and help of those more experianced. It will save pain in the pocket book and unplesant experiances along the way.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

I would go out and buy the best equipment out there :supz:

so after diving it a while you will relieze that you do not like that gear, switch to different gear and place ur lightly used gear up for sale cheap :axe:

buy high$$$ sell low thats how I roll :smt035

stan
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

no excuses wrote:I would go out and buy the best equipment out there :supz:

so after diving it a while you will relieze that you do not like that gear, switch to different gear and place ur lightly used gear up for sale cheap :axe:

stan
w00t awesome idea! Ok so diving is the same as others...I snowboard but waited a few seasons until I knew what worked for me then bought a good board, guitar?, why pay 1k for one until you can appreciate it?
Pool, play for a while until you can appreciate the expensive cue you purchase...

Thanks,

Rick
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Norris wrote:
no excuses wrote:I would go out and buy the best equipment out there :supz:

stan
w00t awesome idea! Ok so diving is the same as others...I snowboard but waited a few seasons until I knew what worked for me then bought a good board, guitar?, why pay 1k for one until you can appreciate it?
Pool, play for a while until you can appreciate the expensive cue you purchase...

Thanks,

Rick
Exactly. So many people end up buying all their gear, then they find they want a better light, then they want a differnet BC, then they want blade or split fins (never fail, the opposite from what they own), then they want a small knife instead of the sword on their leg, then they want a $150 bottom timer instead of a $700 computer (or, again, vice versa), then they want DIN when they just bought yoke.

Get your cert, rent a bunch of different kinds of gear, then go diving with people who dive completely different configurations of gear, and once you've got about 25 - 30 dives, with all sorts of different gear, with all sorts of different divers, decide what kind of diving is for you and what kind of gear you need to support that style of diving.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

smike wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
laivindil wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:

Just wondering.
Yeah, I'm outta the loop for awhile so PICK on them from now on!! :smt064
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

A word about exposure suits. While you're learning, keep a few questions in the back of your mind. Specifically:

- How easily do I get cold?
- Is this suit keeping me warm enough?
- How easy is it to get on and off?
- How well does it fit?

My girls and I don't get cold as a rule, so we dive wet. If you're skinny (i.e. not built like me) or you have the kind of metabolism that makes you get cold easily, you'll want to consider going dry. I have a dry suit, but I haven't used it since January because my wetsuit does me just fine until the water gets REALLY cold, like, below 45 degrees.

We used regular Neoprene for our OW, and my girls hated it. Because of their basic body shapes, they couldn't get the suit on without skinned knuckles. My daughter in particular came away from every round of putting a wetsuit on with tears in her eyes because her fingers hurt so much. Suit juice, powder, the plastic bag trick, nothing helped. Shortly after that, we checked out another dive shop (Boise has 2) and learned about hyperstretch Neoprene. Henderson pioneered it, and that's what we have, but several companies make it now. I'm basically an evangelist for this material, because without it neither of my dive buddies would have continued with diving. The difference in comfort and ease of use is staggering, to say the least. If you end up going wet, check it out. 7mm of hyperstretch will keep you just as warm as 7mm of any other material, and it's ridiculously easy to work with.

We got our suits first because a) we had to for the sake of my daughter's future in diving, and b) the shop gave us a fantastic deal. Your Mileage May Vary. Your shop will have you going wet for your training dives, mainly because a dry suit requires additional training and they don't want you excessively task-loaded. That's a Very Good Thing (TM). After that, you'll need to evaluate your own internal temperature and what's necessary to work with it. Remember that your comfort is EVERYTHING. If you're not comfortable, you won't dive. It's that simple. So after you dive a while, get with some of us and your local shop and decide what's best for YOU.

What should you get first? CERTIFIED!!!! Then hop on here and let us know, so we can go diving with you. Everything else is negotiable.

And above all, HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com