Advance Diver Magazine ( A grate resource )

General banter about diving and why we love it.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Advance Diver Magazine ( A grate resource )

Post by sparky »

I love this Magazine it is full of usefull infermation and it helps that I know one of its wrighters I have ask him to join our little Pod of divers as mikey calls us so watch for Wolfeel to be poping in in a few days to add his Expertise Wolfeel is known on the surface by a nother name but I will lit him tell you what that is

but in the mean time check out this link it is a grate site and I thought you guys would like it.

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com/

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I bought my subscription a couple of weeks ago!!!!!
Who run barter town?
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Good job Spark man, I will dig into it after we get back from Sunrise !!!!
=D>
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Hello, everyone!

My name is John Rawlings, aka "Wolfeel", which is my screen name on another board as mentioned by Sparky above.

I've been working for Curt Bowen at Advanced Diver Magazine for almost 5 years now as a staff writer and photographer, generally writing about the Pacific Northwest, but also anywhere else around the world that I find myself at. We think that ADM is flat out the best dive magazine on the planet! While the emphasis of the magazine is technical diving, the subjects that we cover always include dives, locations, equipment and techniques that are germaine to Advanced open Water divers and up. Frankly, I haven't met a diver yet that after looking at a copy of ADM didn't say "WOW"!

A little about me.....

I was born in Seattle a LONG time ago (ahem) and have been diving for over 30 years. My wife and I live in "Unincorporated Snohomish County" in Washington State just outside of Mill Creek. My beard is almost as white as the snow and I am the proud grandpa of Madaline (10 months) and John (8 months). My son (also a diver) lives near Yakima with his family, and my daughter (not a diver....RATS!) and her family live in Seattle. Plans are already afoot for the grandkids to get certified as soon as they are old enough!

I began underwater photography in 1977 with a Nikonos II, moved up to a Nikonos III, then finally a Nikonos V. After a couple of decades of shooting film I moved over to digital and now shoot using a Nikon D-70S with an Aquatica housing and Ikelite DS-125 strobes. I still use my old Nikonos, though, on occasion....that 15mm lens is hard to beat!

Occasionally, I also write and photograph for our local Northwest Dive News, the publishers, Rick and Kathy Stratton, being personal friends of mine. You may have seen some of my articles in NWDN - most recently they have published my article on Wolf-eels and this past month one on Puget Sound King Crabs. I "think" that my article on the wreck of the Vanlene up in Barkley Sound, BC, will appear in either the March or April issue of NWDN, but that decision will be the publisher's, not mine.

I was first certified as a PADI Open Water Diver by the Sea King Dive Shop (long since defunct!) in Gig Harbor, Washington, while I was serving at Fort Lewis, just being released after a few months in Madigan Army Hospital, (I'm a disabled veteran and those of you that have met me will observe a noticeable limp - it makes my Frog kick a wee bit bizarre! HA!). Since then I have embraced diving with an absolute passion - both at the recreational and technical levels.

In terms of technical dive training, on open-circuit my training has been through IANTD and TDI, with my Advanced Trimix training through TDI. Recently, I have purchased a KISS Classic Closed Circuit Rebreather and have just completed my initial training in the unit through TDI and "Silent Scuba" in Everett. I'm now trying to rack up some time on the unit in anticipation of taking the Trimix training for the KISS.

So.....enough BS about me! I look forward to participating in the board and to reading everyone's viewpoints!

Best regards to all of you!

John
Last edited by John Rawlings on Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Welcome John aka Wolfeel !!!
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I need to get ready for the dive!!!
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Hey Wolfell:

Thanks for takeing me up on my invite to join our little world here at North West dive Club We can sure use your inout as some of us are makeing the switch from single tanks to doubles Dave is already the proud owner of the Twins as we call them.

Be nice to hear from some one with your back round here and learn from your ecperinces

Welcome I know we will all enjoy your post
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Welcome John! I had been following your info and articles on the warrens. welcome to the board.. also were can i purchase one of the documentary videos at?
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Welcome to the club John. Wow, all I can say is that I'm totally impressed by your experience and attitude toward diving. We're on our way but I hope you have some patience to dive with us guys who are just getting into doubles. \:D/

I've actually done some writing too for a travel magazine. You can read more about me on my site.

I'm about to go with an OMS bp/wing setup for my pair of PST E7 80s, with their 45lb single bladder. I'm also going with a new dry suit, I was thinking either a DUI CF200 or a Northern Diver compressed Neoprene. Any suggestions on this getup, especially the suit?

Cheers, and welcome to the Board.

Calvin
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

diverdown wrote:Welcome John! I had been following your info and articles on the warrens. welcome to the board.. also were can i purchase one of the documentary videos at?
Thank you for your kind words!

My friend and the documentary film maker, Dan Warter, works at Northwest Sport Diver in Kenmore. They also sell the DVDs there, (including a "Director's Cut"). I was just in there today chatting with Dan over "old times".

Stop in and see him!

- John
Last edited by John Rawlings on Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Thanks for the info.. i will have to check them out then.. as i havent been there yet. hope to see you on one of our dives...
Who run barter town?
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Calvin wrote:Welcome to the club John. Wow, all I can say is that I'm totally impressed by your experience and attitude toward diving. We're on our way but I hope you have some patience to dive with us guys who are just getting into doubles. \:D/

I've actually done some writing too for a travel magazine. You can read more about me on my site.

I'm about to go with an OMS bp/wing setup for my pair of PST E7 80s, with their 45lb single bladder. I'm also going with a new dry suit, I was thinking either a DUI CF200 or a Northern Diver compressed Neoprene. Any suggestions on this getup, especially the suit?

Cheers, and welcome to the Board.

Calvin
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, (and thanks to Sparky for the invitation!).

There really is no patience required on my part....I love diving, pure and simple! I enjoy casually swimming around in 30 FSW with a new diver as much as I enjoy dropping down to 300 FSW with an old and trusted tech buddy....as well as everything in between. In short - I love it all!

I'm actually in the same boat as those of you that are just getting into doubles. After years of diving with doubles, (both twin LP 98s and twin LP 112s), I just started with my new Rebreather and I'm having to "unlearn" many of the habits I have successfully developed over all of those years. Diving Closed-Circuit is NOT the same as diving Open-Circuit and I am striving to learn the new intricacies of my "new" personal buoyancy.

Regarding dry-suits, I personally dive a DUI CF200 and like it very much. I have recently discovered, however, that after a couple of hundred dives you will probably wear holes in the feet due to sand, bits of shell, etc. getting in between the rock-boots and the foot socks, especially if you do a lot of shore diving as I do. I have not ever dived a Northern Diver suit, but have friends that have been very pleased with them. Having said that, however, it would behoove you to verify where your suit would be sent for any warranty or needed service. DUI suits are made and serviced in California. At one time Northern Diver suits were only made and serviced in the UK. That may no longer be true, as I seem to recall hearing that someone either in the USA or Canada was going to handle all warranty and service issues. I would ask that question if I were interested in a Northern Diver suit......"things" can happen with international shipping and handling that are not easily or quickly remedied. Of course, there are many good dry-suit repair busineses right here in the USA that would do non-warranty work.

- John

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

diverdown wrote:Thanks for the info.. i will have to check them out then.. as i havent been there yet. hope to see you on one of our dives...
Tell him that John Rawlings at ADM sent ya! Depending on the time of day he might either hug you or throw rocks at you.....unfortunately I can't predict which it'll be! HA!

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

John Rawlings wrote:I have not ever dived a Northern Diver suit, but have friends that have been very pleased with them. Having said that, however, it would behoove you to verify where your suit would be sent for any warranty or needed service.
John, thanks for the great info. I'm going to check out both suits this week before making a decision. Actually, as of a few months ago Underwater Sports is the warranty service provider for Northern Diver in the US, quite a convenience since that is the shop we (mostly) all go to around here.

About the DUIs, is the CF200 the suit you recommend? I've also seen the CLX450, that diverdown has. Are the two suits used for different purposes? Also, what is the difference between the CF200x and the CF200SE?

cheers,

Calvin

:salute:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Calvin wrote:About the DUIs, is the CF200 the suit you recommend? I've also seen the CLX450, that diverdown has. Are the two suits used for different purposes? Also, what is the difference between the CF200x and the CF200SE?
I will not "recommend" a particular suit, especially when I have not personally dived a particular suit and therefore do not have personal knowledge of it or experience with it. If you ever hear me say "I really like something" it is because I have personally used it and it worked well for me to the extent that I want to tell others about it. I have found over the years that what works well for one diver can end up being a nightmare for another diver.

Both the DUI CF200 line and the DUI CLX450 are of fine quality - they simply have some design differences and are made of differing materials. I have enjoyed my CF200X (Signature Series) and believe it to be a fine, quality product. Still, as I mentioned before, I have friends that dive other suits, among them the CLX450, the Northern Diver and others, that absolutely swear by them. Your best bet is to speak with divers you trust that own the different suits you are considering. Ask them point blank what they like about them and what they dislike about them. Don't let them get away with just saying "it's great" or "it sucks"! They should be able to tell you WHY they think so. Also, honestly analyze the type of diving you really do and how often you do it - can the suit/s you are considering handle everthing you will throw at them?

The CF200SE is a shoulder entry suit (hence the "SE") while the CF200X is a frontal entry suit. Personally, I'm a frontal entry kinda guy since I do a lot of solo diving for photography. Even when diving with a buddy I'm a wee bit independant and can't stand to have anyone monkey with my gear. Other differences between the CF200SE and the CF200X are that the SE does not have a zipper protector and does not have a warm neck collar designed to accept the longer cold water hoods.

- John

sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

John :

Dont you know tha owner of USIA Dry Suitas as well.

I had been giving some thought to getting one of there Dry Suits

every diver I had talked to with one have nothing but good things to say about it.

I am still diving in a wet suite and should make the move to a dry suite it has been 3 years now that I have been diving and it would be nice if for no other reason then it sucks when your off for a weekend and have to slide in to a wet wet suite now that is "Y U C K Y G R O S S" as my 3 year old grandson Riley would say.

I had tried to email them to get a price and or a dealer near me but have had no responce there is no local dive shop here in my area I have to drive to the portland or tacome area befor there is a shop I can vivet and was hopeing they could at least give me some dealer options but I havent heard from them yet

Bummer I realy like there suit
Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Yes, I know the owner of USIA. His name is Kim Johns. USIA is based right down there in Oregon.

My regular dive buddy (also named "Sparky") has one of their Aqua Pro Plus drysuits and loves it!

You can design your own dry suit on their web site and then ask for a quote based on your design with a simple click.

Here's the design page. Just follow the instructions through to the end, then enter your name/address/phone infor and ask for a quote.

http://www.usia.com/consumer/?p=2&scroll=t

- John

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Thanks for the info on the DUI John, I'm hoping to make a wise choice. Have you ever seen their neoprene seals? I'm allergic to latex (and mildly so to neoprene as well, I know....sucks). I use an Apollo Bio seal, which helps a lot.

Sparky, you should stop by the Bellevue Underwater Sports sometime when you're up here next. Our buddy is the manager there and can help you out, they have some USIAs in stock there to try on.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Calvin wrote:Thanks for the info on the DUI John, I'm hoping to make a wise choice. Have you ever seen their neoprene seals? I'm allergic to latex (and mildly so to neoprene as well, I know....sucks). I use an Apollo Bio seal, which helps a lot.

Sparky, you should stop by the Bellevue Underwater Sports sometime when you're up here next. Our buddy is the manager there and can help you out, they have some USIAs in stock there to try on.
realy which guy is your buddy I have been to bellevue store I have been there a few times

I like under water sports they sold em my 119s for a grate price
sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Doug (the manager) is our buddy, he's also a member of the dive club here, but hasn't had time lately to dive with us. Randy is an AI there who also works part time, and BJ is the new guy who is also very nice. It's like Cheers around there.
:partyman:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I would have to see what he looks loke but I think doug is the one I know

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Advance Diver Magazine

Post by Diver_Dave »

When r U guys gona come to alaska and take some photos w/us for the mag??? We have some great diving here in southeats ak :rr:
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

John I just finnished reading my first isue of Advanced diver Mag. Isue # 20

I realy liked your artical on the sunflower Star " Hyenas of the Sea "

This proves what I have noticed my self and been telling every one for as long as I have been diving now I have prof to point to and say " See I told you So'

on a nother note have you ever noticed how the Lions Maine jelly is like that

while diving at Mike's Beach Resort last summer I was makeing a safety Stop at 15 feet just hanging out minding my dive computer when I had the chance to watch one huntting some small little silver fish the fish were in a small shcool and the Jelly would move there way as the fish would flee it would chace them this went on some time till one of the little fish made a mistake or it was tired out i dont know but that lions Maine jelly was relentless at any rate i would never had thought that of a animal like that.

any how thanks for the mags I will be calling in my order soon
I am looking foward to reading isue #21 thanks a lot I am learning a lot from these isues.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

john I also wanterd to metion that i found it funny that while eating my dinner tonight i was rereading the story of the SS Wisonsin

and then sat down to watch Deep See Dictives as I always do when its on and gess what they are diving On the SS Wisonsin I thought that was funny

By the way do you know thouse guys you seem to know every one else
not to be smart I am suprised we dont see your mug on these shows

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

sparky wrote: By the way do you know thouse guys you seem to know every one else
not to be smart I am suprised we dont see your mug on these shows

Sparky
NAAAAH.....That isn't going to happen! Those guys are great and are WAY beyond me!

If you're a fan of "Deep Sea Detectives", then I'm certain that you've noticed that they are often diving from a dive boat named "Seeker". The Seeker's captain is Dan Crowell. Dan was one of my rebreather instructors and is a heckuva great guy!

- John

sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Now thats is a neat fact you know the Skiper of the boat they dive from
just goes to show it is a small world.

so what exciteing goodies is in store for us in Advance diver next
some more gratearticals Ill bet

I am looking foward to getting my first Isue in the mail the two isues you sent me wont last long.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man