Cool New Book

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Cool New Book

Post by Tom Nic »

I just received a copy of "Fifty Places To Dive Before You Die" as an early Christmas gift.

Very cool - and I look forward browsing through it's pages.

Imagine my surprise when I turned to the section on diving Puget Sound and the Interviewee is our own Janna Nichols! :supz: Very cool Janna! Perhaps others already knew this, but it wasn't on my radar. I always think it's fun to see "one of our own" in print increasing their fame! =D>
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: Cool New Book

Post by Scubak »

Wow!
Sounds great!
Where can I pick one up?
K
"Let's go diving!"
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

That definately sounds like a book to have.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

http://www.amazon.com is where I get most of my books!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Just ordered it from Amazon for $11.00 :supz:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I saw that book recently. I thought it was kinda odd how they listed each dive area.... most were "Country, divesite" but for all the American ones they were "State, divesite" like "Florida, Key Largo"... which as a side note is a pretty boring place to dive thanks to its popularity.

I was hanging out with a bunch of other divers when I saw the book... they all passed it around and made it a competition on who has hit more of the places than anyone else. I stopped paying attention after a while at what the highest count was... but I was the only one with Puget Sound on my list... and of course no one would believe me it was as good if not better than anywhere tropical.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I haven't even seen it yet!! The author, Chris Santella, was supposed to send me a copy in exchange for the info, but I have yet to see it show up on my doorstep. I hope it's good. At least the cover is cool!
fiftyplaces.jpg
He does a series of 50 places books - like where to golf, flyfish, sail, bird, etc. Kinda neat that diving made the list!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

OK, I've read about halfway through the book - and have been enjoying it. (Snowed in, cabin fever, no dive buddies, no diving since Dec 15th, yadda, yadda, whine, yadda, whine, yadda, yadda)

This is a kind of "dreaming where I want to go" and "making sure I don't miss a spot" kind of book. It is NOT an exhaustive book on each place - not that it purports to be, but if that's what you want you'll be disappointed. Each place gets 3 to 4 pages, an intro that is an interview of sorts with someone who knows and loves the locale (as in Janna Nichols for Puget Sound Diving). There is information at the end of each chapter where you can go get more details on each locale, as well as a cursory explanation of how to get there. A great book for beginning divers or for divers who have not traveled a ton for diving, which is most of us I would guess.

I wish that there were more pictures of each place, but my guess is that would have been hard to impossible to get permission for so many sites.

This is a fun book to curl up in a chair with and dream, and I'd buy it if I hadn't received it as a gift (the price on Amazon is pretty amazing).
Scott
Avid Diver

Post by Scott »

I got it from santa Claus and am looking forward to reading it. Now that I know Janna is in it I'll have to jump on it asap
Nootka Sound- probably the best kept secret on the west coast
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

i just got one from my cousins for Chanukah!!!!
"I peed my Weezle John!!!"