Is Scuba an Extreme Sport?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Is Scuba an Extreme Sport?

Post by Pez7378 »

Is scuba even really considered a sport at all? I've heard some refer to Scuba as an "endeavor" for various reasons. Like golf, or bowling or darts. Are they really sports? Are the people who do them athletes? I know I could go to a "Sporting Goods" store, and buy equipment for all of these. But Scuba is so specialized, that I have to go to a Scuba store. Swimming is a sport. Diving is a sport. What is scuba?

Other than feediving, there really is no competition in Scuba. There are no organized events wherein one scuba diver competes with another. (That I know of) Maybe one day, Scubatics will be an Olympic event? :dontknow:

According to Wikipedia: "Extreme Sports (also called action sport and adventure sport) is a media term for certain activities perceived as having a high level of inherent danger.[1][2][3] These activities often involve speed, height, high level of physical exertion, highly specialized gear or spectacular stunts.[1]" (Emphasis added)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_sports

I realize that Scuba does not require a whole lot of athleticism, but it does require a fair amount of skill, It is most definately has a "high level of inherent danger" and requires "highly specialized gear".

So what are your thoughts.
Last edited by Pez7378 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Is Scuba an Extreme Sport?

Post by Joshua Smith »

I don't think of it as a sport, any more than hiking is a sport. There can be extreme dives, but of course most dives aren't extreme.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

I think it is more like a sport...at least from an insurance standpoint...

I help our employees with their benefits. ANd to get extra life insurance they have to answer a bunch of medical questions...and some "sports" questions.

To wit: Within the past 2 years, have you flown as a student or private pilot, engaged in auto or boat racing, scuba diving, hang gliding, ballooning, flying ultralights, parachuting, mountain climbing or any similar sport?

These questions mean that I am probably uninsurable. :)
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Shell, dude, the avatar rocks!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Scuba diving is not a sport ... it's a life-style choice ... :supz:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

If, in order to accomplish a task in an environment that requires life support, I would count that as extreme.

As the stress and pressure can cause significant exhaustion towards the end of the day, requiring recharge beers afterwards, I'm on the line about whether or not to call it a sport.

Extreme hobby, maybe?

D(B)
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

How about Avocation?

(thanks Pez...friend is going through breast cancer surgery and I got this bumper sticker for her. Figured I should show my support too. hehehe)
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

a sport doesn't necessarily have to be competitive.

from random house dictionary:

"3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime."
Knight Diver
Just Settling In

Post by Knight Diver »

I would say any recreational activity with a moderate to high risk of danger could be classified as an extreme sport.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

If we are talking health risk sitting on the sofa watching sports is an extreme health risk due to the inactivity and associated health problems.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I think scooba could be considered a sport. But I think the reality of it is that something is only considered an "extreme sport" when not many people are doing it. As soon as Grandma does it then it isn't extreme anymore, it's just a sport. Scuba used to be an extreme sport. It was mysterious and dangerous. You had to be tough and daring. Now you and the kids can all do a scuba experience at the resort like it was any other recreational activity. It's not extreme anymore. I'm sure riding a bicycle was an extreme sport when they were first invented. Now my 5 year-old does it. It's not extreme anymore.

ps - PEZ, I think that's cool that you're using a photo of your students as your avatar this week. Their training really shows. :evil4:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

airsix wrote: PEZ, I think that's cool that you're using a photo of your students as your avatar this week. Their training really shows. :evil4:
LOL. nice one, ben!
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

airsix wrote:I think scooba could be considered a sport. But I think the reality of it is that something is only considered an "extreme sport" when not many people are doing it. As soon as Grandma does it then it isn't extreme anymore, it's just a sport. Scuba used to be an extreme sport. It was mysterious and dangerous. You had to be tough and daring. Now you and the kids can all do a scuba experience at the resort like it was any other recreational activity. It's not extreme anymore. I'm sure riding a bicycle was an extreme sport when they were first invented. Now my 5 year-old does it. It's not extreme anymore.

ps - PEZ, I think that's cool that you're using a photo of your students as your avatar this week. Their training really shows. :evil4:

I don't agree. Two years ago, paintball was the 3rd highest played Extreme Sport, and it had more people playing it then there were people playing baseball.

Unless we want to consider whiffing at a hard ball traveling inches from your face at 90 plus miles an hour an extreme sport... 0]
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

If i had to list 50 "extreme sports" paintball wouldn't even enter my mind.... :dontknow:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

cardiver wrote:If i had to list 50 "extreme sports" paintball wouldn't even enter my mind.... :dontknow:
Really? Running around on a field with air bunkers, or trees, shooting 68 caliber projectiles at 280 feet per second, at around 15 shots per second, trying to take out the entire other team, while capturing a flag either at the center of the field, or on the other teams starting point, at the risk of suffering from some pretty nice bruises and welts doesn't strike you as extreme?

You should come play with me some time. 0]

D(B)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

In my mind "extreme" sports typical involve a very real possibility of death. Therefore I'm ruling out paintball. It's fun, it gets your adrenaline up, but it's not likely to get you killed.

(Heart attacks incurred by overweight weekend warriors do not count.)
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

defied wrote:
cardiver wrote:If i had to list 50 "extreme sports" paintball wouldn't even enter my mind.... :dontknow:
Really? Running around on a field with air bunkers, or trees, shooting 68 caliber projectiles at 280 feet per second, at around 15 shots per second, trying to take out the entire other team, while capturing a flag either at the center of the field, or on the other teams starting point, at the risk of suffering from some pretty nice bruises and welts doesn't strike you as extreme?

D(B)
You should try playing Army with real bullets. Paintballs can give you welts or maybe even break the skin in some cases, but an extreme sport? No way.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

cardiver wrote:
defied wrote:

D(B)
You should try playing Army with real bullets. Paintballs can give you welts or maybe even break the skin in some cases, but an extreme sport? No way.
<NavyPride>How about Navy with SEAL transport, and collection with real bullets? Does that count?</NavyPride>

Well based off of the definition of extreme sport, I would go with yes way.

Besides, honestly, it's just a term anyways. It just means a non conventional sport. People decide what is conventional vs non conventional. Usually the media. They coined it.

D(B)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:In my mind "extreme" sports typical involve a very real possibility of death. Therefore I'm ruling out paintball. It's fun, it gets your adrenaline up, but it's not likely to get you killed.

(Heart attacks incurred by overweight weekend warriors do not count.)
Yeah, I'd leave paintball off the extreme sport list too... and paintball doesn't hold a candle to semunition training.

I don't think scuba is an extreme sport in the most common sense - but I do think there are some extreme divers out there. I'd definitely call AG being the first to penetrate the Britannic extreme. I'd call the WKPP team extreme, sure. However, I would not call diving the Honey Bear extreme, nor would I for the Hilma Hooker.

Is diving dangerous? Sure. Is EVERYTHING that has an element of risk extreme? Not to me.

"Extreme Sport" is a highly effective term coined by marketing professionals.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

BTW - several life insurance quotes questioned me about scuba diving, but none of them ever mentioned paintball.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Sounder wrote:BTW - several life insurance quotes questioned me about scuba diving, but none of them ever mentioned paintball.
Fair enough. 0]

D(B)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

You haven't played with opponents who freeze their paintballs then. :pale:

SCUBA might not be a sport, but then again I don't consider baseball a sport either (it's a 'game'). I break more of a sweat walking down to the water from the parking lot at Cove 2 than I would playing baseball.
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

Pez, Dude. Shell is not a dude. :violent1:
Pez7378 wrote:Shell, dude, the avatar rocks!
Got Water?
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

So it's pretty much a mixed bag. Some think it's a sport, some think it's not. Some say it's extreme, others think that it can be extreme, but not always.

Here is what I think the standard should be:

Any recreational activity,(Satisfying the Sport debate) requiring specialized equipment and or training, that requires even a moderate amount of physical fitness, that is inherently dangerous and which could result in substantial risk of serious bodily injury or death. (Sounds pretty extreme to me).

:dontknow:
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Pez7378 wrote:....I realize that Scuba does not require a whole lot of athleticism, but it does require a fair amount of skill, It is most definately has a "high level of inherent danger" and requires "highly specialized gear". So what are your thoughts....
If....we could compare scuba diving to being an astronaut and spacewalking (in relation to the environment that requires specialized life support equipment), then are astronauts considered 'athletes' or is spacewalking a 'sport'?
What is the life insurance $ for an astronaut?

Granted, we don't have a huge spaceshuttle to take us to Redondo or Octopus Hole, but perhaps a pathfinder or other scubacar will rate?

MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!