A hui hou

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

A hui hou

Post by Sockmonkey »

All,

Thank you for all the fond wishes. And a general thank you to each and every one of you NWDC'ers.

My time in the Seattle area was unexpectedly brief but I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend the last year. That was entirely due to the gang at NWDC. I fell head first into a gracious and thriving community on and off the Internet. I made friends by the bunch and improved my diving tenfold. No place I've ever lived comes close to the embrace I felt in Seattle, scuba or otherwise. For that I give you all my deepest gratitude.

Originally I sought Lynne out on Scubaboard and then posted this introduction. It was nothing but fun after that.

For those who have been asking, my wife and I packed up our belongings in a 20' container and moved to the Big Island of Hawaii to a town called Kamuela. We're living up on the north Kohala coast about 40 mins north of both Kailua Kona and Hilo. We haven't found a permanent place to live yet but we'll probably be living at about 2500 ft elevation. This means that it isn't all that warm up there. In fact the wet side of the town is rainy and chilly just like Seattle. The dry side gets pretty cold at night too and wood burning stoves seem to be the norm for the winter. However I'm working down at sea level in the driest area in the whole state. I wear a sweatshirt in the morning and peel off layers as I head down the mountain.

And since most of you have asked about what the hell I'm doing here... it couldn't be more exciting. I was hired by Liquid Robotics which is a company who designs, manufactures, and operates unmanned autonomous surface (as opposed to a submersible) vehicles. They're sorta like a wave propelled robot surfboard. The New York Times had an article about them yesterday. There's an image in the article that explains the technology a little bit. With a background in unmanned deep submersibles I'm pretty psyched to only have to worry about something floating on the surface, not down 3000 meters. The company has a 30' rhib with twin 225's which I'll be running about 3 days a week. (life is good at ~25 knots) Most days are spent in a bathing suit.

The job also requires that people get in the water to recover/launch, maintain, or inspect the vehicles. Liquid maintains a pretty well stocked dive locker full of poodle jackets and tanks. While it is seldom that we will be scuba diving on them, there is a heavy free diving requirement. Predators have been known to show up now and then, so there are written safety procedures to mitigate the risk of attack. That's right, there's extensive mention of sharks in the employee handbook. Whenever we perform an inspection (video or still) the working diver gets in with a shark spotter. Each of us wear all black and have a shark shield attached to our ankle and threaded through the long freediver fins (I get funny looks from instinctively trying to frog kick in them). It emits a pulse every second or so and if it happens to touch you your leg gets a shock. It's pretty annoying to say the least.

As the Times article mentioned Liquid Robotics started with a couple guys who wanted to listen to whales. And this is full-on whale season around here. There isn't a day we're on the water that we don't see at least a dozen of them playing. This past Saturday one of the folks I work with invited us out to take photos of them to catalog and ID them from the company boat. In the 6 hours we spent on the water we must have seen 35 whales performing all manner of antics. You can listen to the whales real time that is broadcast from our buoy a few mins from the dock. Of course if you really want to hear them all you need to do is put your head in the water.

I'm sure I'll post some underwater photos as soon as I take some.

If anyone ever heads to the Big Island please let me know. I'll have all the dive spots in the North Kohala coast all scoped out by then. I'm happy to provide tanks and weights to anyone who wants to come visit. (Like single HP100's right Sounder?)

A hui hou,

-Eric
Attachments
IMG_4597.JPG
IMG_4596.JPG
Last edited by Sockmonkey on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: A hui ho

Post by Sounder »

Who you calling a ho?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

:violent1:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i'm really happy for you, eric. what a great job in a great place! we'll miss you around here, but you'll be sick of us visiting soon enough.

keep posting the stories and pics, and let us know how you're doing out there in the blue waters.
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

Sounder wrote:Who you calling a ho?
So I'm not the only one wondering... :dontknow:
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I was calling Soundman... or Spatnder a ho... in case you didn't know they were actually the same 11 yo girl with two screen names.

How about Buh bye.

-Eric

airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: A hui hou

Post by airsix »

Eric, that's really awesome stuff. :supz:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Sockmonkey wrote:
I was calling Soundman... or Spatnder a ho... in case you didn't know they were actually the same 11 yo girl with two screen names.

How about Buh bye.

-Eric
Mrs. Sounder, Baby Sounder, and I will be out sometime in the next year. We're really happy for you and are looking forward to hearing your stories. Be sure to keep a camera with you - if you ARE ever visited by a large shark, you'll be glad you had it.

Don't get in trouble, but if your boss permits it, I'd love to read the shark portion of the employee handbook.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

OK, that sounds like a pretty sweet gig, Eric- Stay in touch......
Sockmonkey wrote:All,

Thank you for all the fond wishes. And a general thank you to each and every one of you NWDC'ers.

My time in the Seattle area was unexpectedly brief but I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend the last year. That was entirely due to the gang at NWDC. I fell head first into a gracious and thriving community on and off the Internet. I made friends by the bunch and improved my diving tenfold. No place I've ever lived comes close to the embrace I felt in Seattle, scuba or otherwise. For that I give you all my deepest gratitude.

Originally I sought Lynne out on Scubaboard and then posted this introduction. It was nothing but fun after that.

For those who have been asking, my wife and I packed up our belongings in a 20' container and moved to the Big Island of Hawaii to a town called Kamuela. We're living up on the north Kohala coast about 40 mins north of both Kailua Kona and Hilo. We haven't found a permanent place to live yet but we'll probably be living at about 2500 ft elevation. This means that it isn't all that warm up there. In fact the wet side of the town is rainy and chilly just like Seattle. The dry side gets pretty cold at night too and wood burning stoves seem to be the norm for the winter. However I'm working down at sea level in the driest area in the whole state. I wear a sweatshirt in the morning and peel off layers as I head down the mountain.

And since most of you have asked about what the hell I'm doing here... it couldn't be more exciting. I was hired by Liquid Robotics which is a company who designs, manufactures, and operates unmanned autonomous surface (as opposed to a submersible) vehicles. They're sorta like a wave propelled robot surfboard. The New York Times had an article about them yesterday. There's an image in the article that explains the technology a little bit. With a background in unmanned deep submersibles I'm pretty psyched to only have to worry about something floating on the surface, not down 3000 meters. The company has a 30' rhib with twin 225's which I'll be running about 3 days a week. (life is good at ~25 knots) Most days are spent in a bathing suit.

The job also requires that people get in the water to recover/launch, maintain, or inspect the vehicles. Liquid maintains a pretty well stocked dive locker full of poodle jackets and tanks. While it is seldom that we will be scuba diving on them, there is a heavy free diving requirement. Predators have been known to show up now and then, so there are written safety procedures to mitigate the risk of attack. That's right, there's extensive mention of sharks in the employee handbook. Whenever we perform an inspection (video or still) the working diver gets in with a shark spotter. Each of us wear all black and have a shark shield attached to our ankle and threaded through the long freediver fins (I get funny looks from instinctively trying to frog kick in them). It emits a pulse every second or so and if it happens to touch you your leg gets a shock. It's pretty annoying to say the least.

As the Times article mentioned Liquid Robotics started with a couple guys who wanted to listen to whales. And this is full-on whale season around here. There isn't a day we're on the water that we don't see at least a dozen of them playing. This past Saturday one of the folks I work with invited us out to take photos of them to catalog and ID them from the company boat. In the 6 hours we spent on the water we must have seen 35 whales performing all manner of antics. You can listen to the whales real time that is broadcast from our buoy a few mins from the dock. Of course if you really want to hear them all you need to do is put your head in the water.

I'm sure I'll post some underwater photos as soon as I take some.

If anyone ever heads to the Big Island please let me know. I'll have all the dive spots in the North Kohala coast all scoped out by then. I'm happy to provide tanks and weights to anyone who wants to come visit. (Like single HP100's right Sounder?)

A hui hou,

-Eric
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

Post by OreCoastDiver »

Wow! Talk about a dream job. Congrats bud.

Keep us posted on your adventures and tell us more about Liquid Robotics. We usually go to Maui, but we would like to give the Big Island a try. Hope to get a dive in with you when we do.

The article was real cool. When more articles are published, please post links. I just have one question: the fins on the underwater glider, are they Jets or splits?
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

OreCoastDiver wrote:I just have one question: the fins on the underwater glider, are they Jets or splits?
OK that's pretty damn funny. It's worse than split fins... there are many fins/wings. I don't think the gliders are back kicking any time soon.

-Eric

OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

Post by OreCoastDiver »

I actually thought of an application for one of your units in our program. We (ODFW) tag and track the movements of rockfish off the coast of Oregon. To do this we set up an array of transponders in a grid pattern with mooring buoys, anchors ... anyway it's a big pain and we have to pull them during the winter so they don't go missing after winter storms. The other real advantage is I bet we could program this thing to do a search pattern in a larger area than our grids so we pick up the fish that are less site faithful. Anyway, I emailed my idea to the project leader. If we get one maybe you could bring it out and we'll go diving here. Or, better yet, I could come pick it up and go diving with you there!
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.