PNW Scuba gets some press

General banter about diving and why we love it.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

PNW Scuba gets some press

Post by girldiver »

Laura James, Mike Hooley and I went out for a dive at Alki on Monday with Denise Whitaker of KOMO.

Dan (Romer Treece) was also very much featured...as the one who did the amazing video. I saw the news story yesterday, but can't find the video online. The video of the Governor was spectacular. It made me reconsider deep tech training.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/44956832.html

Hopefully, some dive store phones will be ringing today with new divers wanting to get into scuba. The three of us were all there on Monday with the main purpose of promoting our sport and the historical wrecks of the Puget Sound.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Re: PNW Scuba gets some press

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

That's very cool. I can't wait to do some exploring on some of the bigger wrecks around the Sound.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Did the KOMO gal actually go underwater with you all? I assume if you're talking about wrecks, you showed her the Honey Bear?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

Yeah, it turned out better than I thought.

Does Mike live up here? I was surprised to see him in the piece. :uh:

Cindy, now you HAVE to get your tech cert, to live up to your title "local deep water technical divers" :thumb3d:

Thanks to Laura for putting it together!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

yes, denise went underwater with us. our aim was to show her the honeybear, but vis was 5' at best.

mike was available to dive with us, which was great, as he has also been diving the wrecks out here for a long time and photographing/videoing the wrecks. and before anyone say 'is he tech?' shallow or deep, wrecks are wrecks... it was also a chance for me to check out the new sony camcorder with exmor R chip and the super sweet bluefin pro housing. i needed a videographer in a pinch, and he was there!! (thanks Mike!!)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

ljjames wrote:yes, denise went underwater with us. our aim was to show her the honeybear, but vis was 5' at best.

mike was available to dive with us, which was great, as he has also been diving the wrecks out here for a long time and photographing/videoing the wrecks. and before anyone say 'is he tech?' shallow or deep, wrecks are wrecks... it was also a chance for me to check out the new sony camcorder with exmor R chip and the super sweet bluefin pro housing. i needed a videographer in a pinch, and he was there!! (thanks Mike!!)

OOOOOH. He can come along any time on the Sampson with THAT camera! :metal:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Was the news lady already a certified diver or was this a "Discover Scuba" thing? It be great to have a diver in the news media who was interested in helping us promote positive diving stories like this one!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

both the producer (jennifer austin) and the reporter/news anchor (denise whitaker) are certified divers. i think you can expect to see more cool diving stories on komo from time to time ;)
Last edited by ljjames on Thu May 14, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

I caught the spot on the tube last night. Good job guys! :thumbsup:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Good article! If you want a real laugh, though, read the comments section at the bottom of the article. It's amazing how some folks think!

I hope that soon we'll be able to find a link to the video of the new story from last night.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

HUGE KUDO's goes to Dan, Mike and Cindy... I talked to the producer friday evening about the story (she had a spot that needed filling), and put her in touch with Dan and Walter. Unfortunately Walter (Jaccard) was out of town so couldn't join in the fun on monday. I also emailed Mike begging him to come play and bring his camera for more underwater footage... Cindy and I have been working on some other projects together so it was a no brainer to have her there as well :)

It is pretty amazing what a motivated news crew can do with almost zero time.. I think they did a heck of a job with pulling it all together, considering it was not a story about a car crash, huge scandal or other cookie cutter news stories.

IT was of course helped by the fact that Jennifer is actually quite knowledgeable about local diving and maritime issues, and both of them are actually divers and interested in the subject matter :)

They are hands down, the real champs here, basically pulling a cool story out of thin air (or is soupy water) that I hope will benefit local diving and promote the sound as a cool place to dive and preserve :)

I was quite impressed with the great lengths they both went to to make this all happen... I think Dan can attest to this as well... It was a very neat experience to be a part of and I'm grateful for the opportunity.
----
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

geez! took em a while to get it posted!
----
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

nice clip, and great to see some familiar faces! good job, you guys and gals. =D>
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John Rawlings wrote:Good article! If you want a real laugh, though, read the comments section at the bottom of the article. It's amazing how some folks think!
Wow. Kind of makes you afraid to go out in public. Funny, and a bit scary.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I think my favorite part of the clip is the signoff. She ends with "From under puget sound I'm denise whitaker, KOMO4 news."

A tag typically reserved for "From outside the king county courthouse..." or something.

Great stuff.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Great clip. Now if only I could scratch the scuba units to get a CCR......... Thanks for sharing.
Charles
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

John Rawlings wrote:Good article! If you want a real laugh, though, read the comments section at the bottom of the article. It's amazing how some folks think!
Indeed. I'm especially fascinated by the guy who said he saw moray eels in Puget Sound...
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Good stuff!
But where were you diving with the reporter?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

cove 2.. we'd been out on a charter before but not been able to dive due to 1' vis, so I knew she dove, they wanted a chance for her to see an octopus under a 'wreck' close to seattle....
----
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

:rofl: If you haven't checked out the comments section you should. It's awesome

:suicidepills:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith