What do YOU use for Thermals?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Gooch
Submariner

What do YOU use for Thermals?

Post by Gooch »

I have the luck (or misfortune) of finding my drysuit on a great deal. I got it from a guy on craigs and as soon as I met him, I knew the suit would fit me fine since we looked to be the same type of guys completely. Luckily, the suit was a like-new Bare Nex Gen and barely used. The only bad thing was that the thermals that came with it appeared to be some kind of gym workout gear....I was surprised they didn't say "Gold's Gym" or something on the back. I have used that thermal gear for more than a few dives and have noticed that I've been layering more and more clothes on to be warm (this may simply be a sign of upcoming wussydom and trying to stay warm like my grandma with her sweater collection). Anyway, I was fortunate to find another good deal on a USIA thermal (exotherm II) and I'm actually kind of exited to try it out to see how warm it is compared to my other garb. I was just curious about what other cold water junkies were using and how you liked what you use. I was also curious how much extra garb most folks were packing on in addition; like wearing long undies and such. I know Spatman wears a tuxedo underneath like James Bond but we can't all be like the Spat. So.(at the risk of making this forum sound like something dirty).....whatcha wearing?
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: What do YOU use for Thermals?

Post by nwbobber »

Weezle extreme. I haven't yet been cold. I haven't yet dove in cold water. Only this murky warm stuff we have been seeing lately.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Presently, Xerotherm undies but I'm about to go to a DUI Xm450 for winter and Powerstretch 300g for summer... and I am a fervent believer in argon and the pre-dive suit flush.

I'll probably have my Xerotherm up for sale here soon if anyone's interested. I've also got a Large and a Medium or Small (I forget) thinsulate jumpsuits undies that have never been worn too if anyone is looking for a good deal on one.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Weezle extreme. It rocks.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

weezle. much toastier than my USIA exotherm, but not nearly as stylish as my tuxedo. Image
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Have you known folks using the Andy's Undies? I was curious how they were. Plus, maybe there is a market there for more stylish thermal wear (the Tux-Undie). Go diving the Puget Sound, get out ready for dinner and cocktails at a snazzy joint.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I think I'm abnormally tolerant to cold, but I wear 4th element xotherm? (the thinnest one they make) on the bottom, and the same on the top, but I put a second thin fleece under it. I dive a NeoZ, (neoprene suit) so that's got some inherent insulation too.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

4th element top and bottom (the thicker ones, but not the zip jacket/bib pant combo) with polypropylene leggings and a polypro shirt (long sleeve in winter/short sleeve lately) underneath. I also have dry gloves and use liners purchased from REI underneath those. I'm usually very comfy during my dives. hot as hell topside these days, though.

I did check out a weezle one-piece at the Tacoma dive show and it was sweet. Maybe someday when scuba units permit.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I also use dry gloves with a liner I got from my connection at Blackwater (I mean, Ft. Lewis) and they are a sweet combination for warm hands. They are somekind of military issue gloves with nylon outsides and warm fleece-like insides.

vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

I use fleece "4 WAY FLEX DRY SUIT UNDERGARMENT" from Ebay sold regularly by rondel101bjrr

Image,

plus additional fleece jacket in winter. It doesn't feel really toasty but is enough in most cases for 3.5mm compressed neoprene suit.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

4th Element base layer (very nice stuff) topped with Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate vest, topped with White's MK3 jumpsuit. Thick, wooly fleece socks with 3 mm neoprene socks over them. With Argon, this will keep me warm enough to do 60 - 70 minutes in midwinter water temps. Not warm, but warm enough.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Gooch wrote:Have you known folks using the Andy's Undies? I was curious how they were. Plus, maybe there is a market there for more stylish thermal wear (the Tux-Undie). Go diving the Puget Sound, get out ready for dinner and cocktails at a snazzy joint.
Oh, the Tux-Undie....sadly, I think this will only work for the gents....I just can't see the ladies making the cocktail dress version of this work under a drysuit....too much bunching, I think.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Weezle Oxygen two piece. I needed the two piece to be able to reach my valves. Love it.
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

I picked up a USIA Exotherm III and like it. It is a tad small for me but even when my suit was leaking water I was staying warm.
Sean
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Gooch wrote:Have you known folks using the Andy's Undies? I was curious how they were. Plus, maybe there is a market there for more stylish thermal wear (the Tux-Undie). Go diving the Puget Sound, get out ready for dinner and cocktails at a snazzy joint.
Andy's are very good undies, but the guy who makes them is out of business. I have a couple of pairs, and I use one of them as a summer time mid-weight undie (200 g). It's served me very well. The only thing I don't like is the outer fabric on it, which isn't particularly water repellant, but it can be fixed with a quick spin through the washing machine and some tech-wash from REI.

Most of my diving is with the very inexpensive Pinnacle Merino Evolution undies. I took them down to Antarctica this year, and was very toasty warm. They have great neoprene cuffs at the arms and legs, which means getting into and out of the drysuit is much easier. They also had beyond-incredible customer service. I sent the suit in for repairs after 11 months, as I had worn through some of the stitching, and instead of fixing it, three days later, a brand new pair showed up on my doorstep. At $250(if you look hard enough) I am convinced it is a steal for a set of them.

A couple of things to note - from reading your description at the first post: Undies are NOT meant to be washed a lot, and NEVER with fabric softener or tumbled in the dryer. Doing so destroys the loft of the insulation in the undies, and it's permanent in many cases. Even with careful washing, they lose their insulating ability over time. REI has some very nice tech washes for thinsulate/polar fleece, and I recommend using them when your undies get to the point that even you won't want to climb in them any more.

Because they wear out pretty easily, used undies are not usually as good a deal as they may seem. You have no idea how they're going to perform, even if they look good on the outside... one bad trip through the dryer on high heat and they could be completely ruined, but still look like-new.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Weezle Extreme. So comfy. Actually, without UnderArmour underneath, I've discovered I'm warmer than with. Great undergarments.

How big are you? I have an extra thermal that came with my drysuit that I've never used. I'm 6'2", 220, and it's a little big on me.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I'm like 6' 250lb which sounds a little round but I'm just a big guy (not that I couldn't stand to loose a few pounds)

scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Gooch wrote:I'm like 6' 250lb which sounds a little round but I'm just a big guy (not that I couldn't stand to loose a few pounds)
Well, if you want to try it out, let me know. I'm going to try to hit Redondo Saturday...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:
Gooch wrote:I'm like 6' 250lb which sounds a little round but I'm just a big guy (not that I couldn't stand to loose a few pounds)
Well, if you want to try it out, let me know. I'm going to try to hit Redondo Saturday...
if gooch can't make it on saturday, i can bring it back down to portland with me for him to try on.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Thanks for the kind offer but I think I will need to try out the Exotherms I just got first before I try anything else. I never actually thought to post a WTB for thermals on this forum but that would have made sense too. I think these ones I got will be a lot warmer than my old ones and they were getting by o.k.

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Gooch wrote:Thanks for the kind offer but I think I will need to try out the Exotherms I just got first before I try anything else. I never actually thought to post a WTB for thermals on this forum but that would have made sense too. I think these ones I got will be a lot warmer than my old ones and they were getting by o.k.
I am probably going to be selling an XL top and L bottoms with L socks here soon if you're interested.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Stu
Aquaphile

Post by Stu »

vlad wrote:I use fleece "4 WAY FLEX DRY SUIT UNDERGARMENT" from Ebay sold regularly by rondel101bjrr

Image,

plus additional fleece jacket in winter. It doesn't feel really toasty but is enough in most cases for 3.5mm compressed neoprene suit.
I used on of these as well, but mine seemed to fall apart pretty quick.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Gooch wrote:Thanks for the kind offer but I think I will need to try out the Exotherms I just got first before I try anything else. I never actually thought to post a WTB for thermals on this forum but that would have made sense too. I think these ones I got will be a lot warmer than my old ones and they were getting by o.k.
Let me know whenever you finally get tired of just "getting by ok", and we'll get you into a Weezle....

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Weezle Extreme + - I'm also a Weezle dealer! Along with Patagonia Wool 4 base layer

Or

4th Element Arctic - I'm also a dealer for them.

Both are fantastic products!
Dave Mitchell
Just Settling In

Post by Scuba Jon »

Thick 4th element top, bottom & socks with some fleece under that. I love it! Even when it gets wet, it feels dry (Downside, it's sometimes difficult to tell when the suit does have a small leak in it).

Randy P