Could you swim 12 miles to shore?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Could you swim 12 miles to shore?

Post by Sockmonkey »

This is nutty... how does this happen? Four Russian divers lost at sea and one swims to shore.

I'm a little out of breath thinking about it... makes me want to go out for a run... and go find my storm whistle.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Geek
Pelagic

Re: Could you swim 12 miles to shore?

Post by Geek »

You have a storm whistle that you can hear from 12 miles away?? Now THAT makes me out of breath just thinking about. :hello2:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow, Tourists! :tappingfoot: :tappingfoot: :tappingfoot:

12 miles from shore in high current shark infested waters with what must be a pretty shoddy dive op. What were these people thinking??? It's a miracle any of them survived!
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Sockmonkey wrote:This is nutty... how does this happen? Four Russian divers lost at sea and one swims to shore.

I'm a little out of breath thinking about it... makes me want to go out for a run... and go find my storm whistle.

-Eric
Like TOTALLY, whatever! I could swim 15 miles, then get out and run up a mountain ... while in labor and smoking a cigarette. Who couldn't?
Dusty2 wrote:Wow, Tourists! :tappingfoot: :tappingfoot: :tappingfoot:

12 miles from shore in high current shark infested waters with what must be a pretty shoddy dive op. What were these people thinking??? It's a miracle any of them survived!
Well, their gear was probably UTD. :tomatoe:
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I could totally do that, but I don't want to waste away my fat rolls. They make me snuggly.

D(B)
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

defied wrote:I could totally do that, but I don't want to waste away my fat rolls. They make me snuggly.

D(B)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

defied wrote:I could totally do that, but I don't want to waste away my fat rolls. They make me snuggly.
and buoyant.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Do warm water divers not use safety sausages deployed from their safety stops? Are we alone in that? I'm no techie, but always clip one on when I know I'll be in current-swept waters.

Haven't been diving in warm water for YEARS though....

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

spatman wrote:
and buoyant.
Bioprene is a really great word.
nwscubamom wrote:Do warm water divers not use safety sausages deployed from their safety stops? Are we alone in that? I'm no techie, but always clip one on when I know I'll be in current-swept waters.

- Janna
Not here in Hawaii... but most dive ops require a DM guide around here.

Safety sausages are very common on SE FL dive boats. More often than not they'll issue you a dive flag as well.

-Eric

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I think I swam about 12 miles a day last week . . . at least it felt like it!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

LCF wrote:I think I swam about 12 miles a day last week . . . at least it felt like it!
You probably swam about 12 miles a day through the water but only a few hundred feet over ground. I need a nap now.

-Eric

loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

nwscubamom wrote:Do warm water divers not use safety sausages deployed from their safety stops? Are we alone in that? I'm no techie, but always clip one on when I know I'll be in current-swept waters.

- Janna
Some places they do not, but this is open water diving with very high currents at times. When we were diving one of the sea mounts in Puerto Rico the boat operator told us that if we lost the line to call him once you get to the Dominican Republic which should take about 4 hrs. And he would come and pick you up that night. Open water diving is not the same as we have here in the Puget Sound. We do have currents and the seas do come up. But being the dive pussy's most are here in our protected waters we do not go out when conditions are like that. In high seas or heavy swells a SS will do nothing especially if you are getting pushed away by a 3 or 5 knot current. you are a rag doll subject to the currents and winds. quite a few years ago my Father and I were caught by a freak current off the south end of John Island once, and by the time we got up we were over a mile out in Georgia Straits drifting further away very fast in 2-3 chop. finally got picked up by a sail boat a few hrs latter. Open water diving is a different animal. The Red sea is open water diving it is not protected. and gets crazy currents that are not always the same as ours are.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Makes sense - thanks for the clarification!
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Metal man
Aquaphile

Post by Metal man »

Jenbowes wrote:Like TOTALLY, whatever! I could swim 15 miles, then get out and run up a mountain ... while in labor and smoking a cigarette. Who couldn't?
:laughing3: :laughing3: :rofl: I'm getting a visual here!
Gabe ~D.I.A.W.Y.C. Diver