Dive Computer missing - Owens Beach Critter Watch

General banter about diving and why we love it.
enigmatic
Avid Diver

Dive Computer missing - Owens Beach Critter Watch

Post by enigmatic »

Hey all,
I did the Owens Beach critter watch today (BTW - it was a great dive) and my dive computer turned up missing. He's a Oceanic 250VX wrist mount computer and was last seen near the trunk of my car coming off of my wetsuit. If any of you know his whereabouts - I'd be mighty obliged. :pale:

That being said - there was a car with two really weird people in it most of the time we were diving. They never once made eye contact and only left the car once in 4 hours to use the restroom. I'm suspecting that they stole it since I had looked all about my car before I left to find the computer. Ugh - there goes a few scuba units. :(

It was great to see all of you guys and to finally meet the infamous, errrr famous Calvin.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Im sorry to here that, Post it on the other local boards hopefully it will turn up..
Who run barter town?
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Real sorry to hear about that. Bunch of losers out there!
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

This is ridiculous. Janna getting ripped off for everything a while back, all the thefts at Redondo and now eminem (I call enigmatic eminem) getting his computer lifted.

As someone mentioned in the other thread, we should do something about it. We can start by making sure we file a police report each time something is stolen. That way the cops can start to get an idea of when/where these things tend to happen. If someone has some time on their hands maybe they can talk to the cops about sending a plainclothes officer to one of the busy dive spots on a weekend and we'll see if we can't lure someone into getting caught (entrapment, I know, but if it were just a case of a diver leaving his/her gear out while going to the bathroom, that's not entrapment by the police per se).

I'm surprised nothing of mine went missing yesterday. There were so many of us that I kept leaving my car with the tailgate open and computer and camera just sitting there. Eminem probably got hit because his trunk was facing the other way and his parking spot was a little more obstructed from view than mine.

I'm really sorry to hear about all these thefts. :pale:
enigmatic
Avid Diver

Post by enigmatic »

One of my friends is a cop and he suggested the beyond reporting to the police - serial numbers and such, that we also contact places like play it again sports. Pawn Shops have to report anything they receive to the police to verify it wasn't stolen - so hopefully if we all report this stuff - some of it will get returned.

Now... I need to find a place to get a good deal on a dive computer since I just bought this damn thing 2 months ago. haha.
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Boo thiefs, we should just cut people heads off when they steal. Oh, I meant hands, yea, hands sure.
Sorry, I saw the 'shady visitors' too but I guess we were safe because of our big bad guard dog... grrrr.. Maybe you should invest in a trunk monkey! Just kidding...
I think I would go to the shop that you bought the computer in and tell them it was stolen and see if they would give you a smokin' deal... I would if you were my customer!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

dude that totally fu**in sucks. i too like cera leave my mean lookin dog in the truck when diving, while she isnt the meanest dog but most scumbags will move onto something easier. ive been approached by alot of people asking questions while gearing up and most are just real people intrested in what we see down there but every once in a while you get that gut feeling. definitely the best thing you can do is leave anything of value at home and i know even leave my wallet home too. i just take the basics and put them in my undergarment pocket.

your friend did give you good advice on checking pawn shops since crack heads try to cash out asap. also if you have the serial numbers check craigs list and ebay.

all thieving dirtbags should be given a bit of the old "ultra violence"
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Leave word with Discount Divers in Seattle as well, they deal in used dive gear and are sometimes a place stolen gear winds up.

-Valerie