Humbolt off Sekui

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Cera
Submariner

Humbolt off Sekui

Post by Cera »

Hey, has anyone heard that lots of fishermen are catching Humbolt off Sekui? My friend that has a boat caught 2 this weekend!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Gooch
Submariner

Re: Humbolt off Sekui

Post by Gooch »

I wanna see one really bad....although, I may need more protection than my wimpy dive knife.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I heard from a fishermen friend of mine that there have been ALOT of them being caught between Sekui and Sequim. Aparently there is at least one large school of them frequenting the area.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I heard from a customer that a fisherman picked one up in the dock up there.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Gooch wrote:I wanna see one really bad....although, I may need more protection than my wimpy dive knife.
would this be better :smt064
Jeff Castor
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Are these really Humboldt squid? Because the one caught at Cove 2 wasn't -- I can't remember what the guy told me it was, but I talked to the fisherman who caught it, and the aquarium speciated it and it wasn't a Humboldt after all.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Certain members of my family would call them DINNER!!! :axe:
Jeff Castor
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Guess I should postpone my plans for another solo dive out at Sekiu Jetty for a while ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

LCF wrote:Are these really Humboldt squid? Because the one caught at Cove 2 wasn't -- I can't remember what the guy told me it was, but I talked to the fisherman who caught it, and the aquarium speciated it and it wasn't a Humboldt after all.

Right you are! you get points!!! Just looked up the cove 2 conclusion: "Robust Clubhook Squid Moroteuthis robusta.
In general ~3 to 4 ft for Humboldt Squid Dosidicus gigas, ~5 to 7 ft for Robust Clubhook Squid Moroteuthis robusta"

I find it ponderable that what we all are finding so unusual might very well have been commonplace back in the days of 150 lb salmonm, 500 lb octo's and basking sharks ... go back 100 or even just 60 years ago and you probably wouldn't even recognize the sound under water. Could it be that the conservation efforts are finally beginning to improve enough to support the abundance of big life here again? Maybe it's a good sign?!

g
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Gill Envy wrote: Could it be that the conservation efforts are finally beginning to improve enough to support the abundance of big life here again? Maybe it's a good sign?!

g
Boy do I hope so!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Gill Envy wrote: Could it be that the conservation efforts are finally beginning to improve enough to support the abundance of big life here again? Maybe it's a good sign?!

g
Boy do I hope so!
Me too ... but I would still prefer not to have to share my favorite dive sites with Humboldt ... I'm a critter kinda guy and all, but ya gotta draw the line somewhere ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote:

g
Boy do I hope so!
Me too ... but I would still prefer not to have to share my favorite dive sites with Humboldt ... I'm a critter kinda guy and all, but ya gotta draw the line somewhere ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Fear not! Just dive with Pensacolaracer. Calamari for days...
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote:

g
Boy do I hope so!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Fear not! Just dive with Pensacolaracer. Calamari for days...
There aren't enough spears out there to keep all those things off of you once they come at you in force. I think I would be a little freaked out if several of them started to get aggressive.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Gill Envy wrote:
LCF wrote:Are these really Humboldt squid? Because the one caught at Cove 2 wasn't -- I can't remember what the guy told me it was, but I talked to the fisherman who caught it, and the aquarium speciated it and it wasn't a Humboldt after all.

Right you are! you get points!!! Just looked up the cove 2 conclusion: "Robust Clubhook Squid Moroteuthis robusta.
In general ~3 to 4 ft for Humboldt Squid Dosidicus gigas, ~5 to 7 ft for Robust Clubhook Squid Moroteuthis robusta"

I find it ponderable that what we all are finding so unusual might very well have been commonplace back in the days of 150 lb salmonm, 500 lb octo's and basking sharks ... go back 100 or even just 60 years ago and you probably wouldn't even recognize the sound under water. Could it be that the conservation efforts are finally beginning to improve enough to support the abundance of big life here again? Maybe it's a good sign?!

g
So are the "Robust Clubhook Squid Moroteuthis robusta" any safer than the Humboldt? or more dangerous?
kinder, gentler, version of the sqid family? :dontknow:

And is the short name, just a "Grand Clubhook squid"?
Attachments
Robust Clubhook Squid Moroteuthis robusta.jpg
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Metal man
Aquaphile

Post by Metal man »

Gill Envy wrote:I find it ponderable that what we all are finding so unusual might very well have been commonplace back in the days of 150 lb salmonm, 500 lb octo's and basking sharks ... go back 100 or even just 60 years ago and you probably wouldn't even recognize the sound under water. Could it be that the conservation efforts are finally beginning to improve enough to support the abundance of big life here again? Maybe it's a good sign?!

g
Humbolts would be scary enough, but if they came in here so would thier predators.... not something I want to run into with 10 foot viz.
Gabe ~D.I.A.W.Y.C. Diver
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

yeah, i'm not saying I want to run into mega fauna face to face, but maybe it's a good sign for the ecology... and can you imagine dive operators offering cage dives in these waters here, that would be a trip! :calvin:
g
Metal man wrote:
Gill Envy wrote:I find it ponderable that what we all are finding so unusual might very well have been commonplace back in the days of 150 lb salmonm, 500 lb octo's and basking sharks ... go back 100 or even just 60 years ago and you probably wouldn't even recognize the sound under water. Could it be that the conservation efforts are finally beginning to improve enough to support the abundance of big life here again? Maybe it's a good sign?!

g
Humbolts would be scary enough, but if they came in here so would thier predators.... not something I want to run into with 10 foot viz.
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
Shaker100
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Shaker100 »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcKQt5hHDXg[/youtube]

I am sure you have all seen this clip, but it's worth reviewing before setting out to dive with humbolts.

Shake
hydrophytic veg